Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Sep 8, 2012 4:39 PM

Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Hello,

I updated my Captivate Glide to the Androd 4.0 version via the official ATT/Samsung directions found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00048593&fm_seq=53023

However, after I successfully updated my phone, I have noticed some weird bugs. First off (and the most major one), THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T LIGHT UP... That's a big bummer, does anyone know how to fix it? And also, the phone seems to lag at times when scrolling or just navigating web pages... That's just a minor issue though. But does anyone have a SOLUTION for the backligh on the keyboard not working? ATT/Samsung fix the problem please!!!!

Thanks

Responses

smooth4lyfe

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

8 years ago

Try factory resetting... It's always good to factory reset after an update to "refresh" the OS and it usually fixes most problems... You can do that by going to Settings, then Backup/Reset
smooth4lyfe

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

8 years ago

I know it's a software issue... Factory resetting usually fixes a lot of problem becuz when people update via Kies or OTA, it basically just "overwrites" the old OS and that's what I think causes some problems, but if you factory reset it will refresh the ICS update and it usually fixes problems

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Did you even read what I posted or did you just delete it because of the hyperlink? Here is a text version you CAN'T delete. 

Evidence that factory reset won't help:

The thing that has nagged me, is that the backlight is correctly deactivated when the screen is locked/blanked. Anyways, I did a more thorough search for stmpe-bl in the original 2.3.6 and discovered /system/lib/hw/lights.n1.so. In the file (5k pretty small.) I found the following strings:

backlight
buttons
keyboard
lights
write_int failed to open %s
sys/class/sec/sec_stmpe_bl/backlight
/sys/class/misc/melfas_touchkey/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness
NVIDIA Ventana lights module

however, in my 4.0.4 version, I found:

backlight
buttons
lights
write_int failed to open %s
/sys/class/misc/melfas_touchkey/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness
SAMSUNG BOSE lights module

Notice in the newer version, the "keyboard" and sec_stmpe_bl entries are omitted. I wonder if using the 2.3.6 lights.n1.so on 4.0.4 would work?

smooth4lyfe

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

8 years ago

I didn't delete your last post, I thought u did... I don't have the power to do that

And I mean in my experience and with other people... It fixes problems like those, but if u don't think it will, u should probably take it to the AT&T store for them to check and possible replace it
smooth4lyfe

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

8 years ago

Is your phone rooted Btw?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

No, it is not. There is a fix on XDA for rooted phones, but mines isn'r rooted, so I can't do it. And those who rooted and updated to 4.0 have alot more problems.

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Not only am I having the keyboard problem, I've also noticed that I can't do a screen cap anymore. My phone will allow to use all the features still and it works but is having other side effects. If I place a call, it will go through, but at the end of the call i get an error message saying that ".com" has stopped working. All i can do is press ok. Seems like AT&T jumped the gun on getting this out for the glyde.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I as well am having same problem after update its obviously a ics issue with the Glide i called up samsung and said that google was aware and will fix in the future..not sure how long that might be though

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I also updated my Samsung Captivate Glide to 4.0 ice cream and my screen turned black after and stays black. I can slide the menu bar out, but that is about it. is there anything I could do?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My phone doing the same as yours.

msiscrm

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

8 years ago

Yes-same problems here! My phone is crashing after a call--can't make or receive calls, and disconnects from my car's bluetooth, so can't make or receive calls wirelessly while driving, without fooling with the actual phone. No keyboard backlight as well. Please, someone, assure me that they are taking care of this problem--the crashing phone is a REAL problem!!!! I am regretting I made this upgrade!

Debbie

mvi57

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Screen capture in ICS has changed to vol-down+power.
msiscrm

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

8 years ago

Just spent the afternoon redoing my phone after a factory reset. The phone crash problem is gone. Seems to be running a bit smoother, but keyboard backlight still does not work. Researching the problem now....we'll see if there's a fix somewhere...

smooth4lyfe

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

8 years ago

Glad it made your phone smoother!
I found a fix for the backlight keyboard not working problem, but it requires flashing your phone...idk why Samsung doesnt fully test out before releasing these updates...but if you wanna try it (at your own risk), then go ahead

To fix the keyboard backlight bug, you'll need the following:
Odin 1.85
Clockworkmod Recovery
The Keyboard Backlight fix The one labeled LH2 is for the official, the one labeled CWM is for the leak. If you're not sure what you're on, go to About Phone, and check the Baseband Version, if it ends in LH2 you're on the official, if it ends in LG9 it's the leak.
Optionally, SuperUser 3.2 RC3 if you'd like root.

First, make sure you have Kies installed, so that you have the correct USB drivers. Download the 4.0.4 .exe file from here. Power off your phone, hold Volume Up and Power to turn it back on. Keep holding them until you get a screen warning you about custom software, and release, then press volume up again to enter download mode. Hook the phone up to your pc and run Odin 1.85. Uncheck "F. Reset Time" and make sure that the only box checked is Auto Reboot, you shouldn't need to change anything else. Click on the PDA button, and load the clockworkmod .md5 file you downloaded, then press the start button and wait for the device to reboot.

This time you'll reboot into recovery. Power the phone off, hold the volume down and power button to turn the phone one. Keep holding them until you see text about entering recovery in the top left, and release. Use the volume keys to navigate and power to select, and go to Install zip from sdcard. Select the keyboard backlight fix zip. Once that's finished, if you'd like to be rooted, repeat the process to flash a zip, and this time select Choose zip from sdcard, selecting the superuser zip you downloaded earlier. Select Yes, and wait for superuser to flash. If you plan on keeping Clockwork Mod Recovery, you should make a backup now. To do so, select Backup and restore, and backup. This will take a bit, just be patient. When you're finished, select reboot system now, and you should be set.

From here, if you rooted you can install something like Titanium Backup, which will use root access to let you remove the various AT&T bloatware.

- XDA Forums

You can download the files required here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=31284524&postcount=17