Get the new iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro & iPhone 15 Pro Max from AT&T Now!
The Samsung Galaxy S23
Simonga25's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, August 14th, 2018 5:36 PM

Resolving a mistakenly blacklisted phone

I purchased  a Samsung Galaxy S9 from the original owner. The original owner, Eric, received the phone as a company phone. He, however, did not need the phone so he sold it before activating it. He never activated the phone. 

12 days after purchasing the phone, my AT&T account was suspended and my S9 was blacklisted. I went into the AT&T store to unsuspend my account and get the phone off the blacklist. The store reps told me the original owner would have to call in to remove the phone from the blacklist. Eric, the owner called the store reps and then called AT&T customer service. Customer service told Eric that he could not remove the phone from the blacklist, but instead, I had to resolve it. And then it became quite circular from there. Since then we've spent 4-5 hours on the phone or in the store, spoken with 6-8 reps and have not resolved the issue. 

In short, it appears that my phone has been mistakenly blacklisted. The phone was paid for in full to AT&T, so it was not blacklisted because it was not paid for.  Eric, the original owner, never reported it as lost or stolen, so it was not blacklisted that way. It appears that it was blacklisted algorithmically because the original purchaser never activated it. The original owner has been unable to remove the phone from the blacklist (so please do not say he is the only one who can do it). 

Please advise. 

ACE - Sage

• 

110.8K Messages

5 years ago

Or the company that employs your friend, who is the real owner, is the one who blacklisted it.  

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

I get an at&t supplied phone for work you can bet your paycheck that they will blacklist it if i sell it to someone, maybe it worked for a few days until the system caught up to it . Still as we said in your other post only the original owner that blacklisted it can get it removed, get your money back

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Ok. I'm not sure I understand. A company would blacklist a company phone if
an employee sold it because the phone belongs to the company, and the
employee was functionally stealing the phone? Is that the idea? The phone
belongs to the company, not the employee? That makes sense.

>From what the owner, Eric, has told us, his company was bought by another
company. That is why the company never asked for the phone back and he was
able to sell it. Did he not have the right to sell the phone?

Still seems like a messed up policy that allows a past owner to just reach
into the current owners life and mess up their property. I understand the
good intentions, but this policy is seriously messed up. Why does the FCC
allow this.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

Ok. I'm not sure I understand. A company would blacklist a company phone if
an employee sold it because the phone belongs to the company, and the
employee was functionally stealing the phone? Is that the idea? The phone
belongs to the company, not the employee? That makes sense.

yes the company always has and always will own the phone

>From what the owner, Eric, has told us, his company was bought by another
company. That is why the company never asked for the phone back and he was
able to sell it. Did he not have the right to sell the phone?

NO he stole the phone plain and simple it wasnt his to sell just because they didnt ask for it back

Still seems like a messed up policy that allows a past owner to just reach
into the current owners life and mess up their property. I understand the
good intentions, but this policy is seriously messed up.

He was never the current owner and it was never his property

Why does the FCC allow this.

The fcc allows it because well see my previous comments

ACE - Sage

• 

110.8K Messages

5 years ago

It’s no different than a company car, or the stapler and other supplies on the employees desk.  The company allows its use only.  

I would imagine the new owners did inventory and could not account for this phone, so it was blacklisted.  

As far as any carrier is concerned the person who has the original receipt and is the account owner owns the phone.  

I can say as the former owner of a phone I sold on Swappa, got paid for, and 3 months later the buyer disputed the charge through the credit card and got the money back.  I contacted and simply said, pay or I blacklist.  The buyer declined to respond, so phone was blacklisted.  She contacted me a week later but would not pay the full amount.  

Not finding what you're looking for?