For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Cghunter's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, October 20th, 2019 2:26 PM

Prepaid plan firmware updates

Will AT&T branded Samsung S8 Actives that are on a prepaid plan get firmware updates? I have an unlocked AT&T phone that is still on Android 7.0 and does not get any updates. My friend has the exact phone and his OS is Android 8.0 so I know updates are available. Just wondering how I can get updates. Samsung was no help, Smart Switch or the call center.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Ahh, I had to clear the cache on the software update app which must have cleared the "Current software is up to date" and then I tried to grab an OTA update again and the software update started. I cleared any app that I thought might be related to software updates so I'm not sure if this was the app that actually got it going but hey it's updating 🙂 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

Yes.

Mentor

• 

81 Messages

5 years ago

Myself I have the Lg V40 Thinq phone and its Android and being its prepaid
plan and phone it receives any and all updates. Even being that your phone
is prepaid and Android it should receive any updates? Is your phone through
At&t? Being that its unlocked?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Yes it is an AT&T branded Samsung S8 Active. It is unlocked and I have previously used it on Cricket Wireless. I have never gotten any OTA updates. I now have an activated AT&T prepaid sim card in my phone but if I check for an update it says it is up to date. I know this is not true since my friend has the same phone and has Oreo (8.0) on his phone. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I thought so too but it has not.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.