AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
N

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Jan 25, 2020 11:00 PM

Poor Customer Service

for the past four hours I've been attempting to get the correct information for setting up new service it all started at Walmart I was told I had to make a $600 deposit couldn't figure out why so I called customer care customer care I explain that to them they sent me to billing I spoke to Noah I was transferred to Noah who is in loyalty department I was on the phone for 20 minutes with him after speaking with him for those 20 minutes he found out I was approved for 5 lines with no deposits they said in order for me to take full advantage of it he said I would need to go to a corporate store go to a corporate store they told me know where to get extra discounts and avoid activation fees or any upfront fees at all I would need to do it online so we tried doing it online the customer service in the in the text or chat area found it said yeah you were approved for 5 lines or thing I would have to pay was for taxes on a free phone which made no sense to me so for the past 3 hours no one has been able to find my account no one has been able to tell me anything as to what to do I was told I would have to pay no upfront fees no deposit from two different departments and now no one seems to know what's going on this is rather confusing and frustrating I need assistance from someone that knows what's going on....

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

9 months ago

This is a customer populated forum not the sales department and not customer service.

I can confirm but you must pay sales tax on the full retail value of any phones that you purchase, even if you get credits on the making them free.
Now let's define"free". AT&T has deals on phones where you will get a credit back against the installment over the full 30 months. If your phone is the same as or less than the maximum credit allowed then the phone will be free. If you choose a more expensive phone you will wind up paying the difference over 30 months, or you can pay the difference up front, do the math.

I'm not sure why you're looking for an account? If you haven't received SIM cards or phones, and don't yet have active service, you don't have an account yet.
Have you placed an order?
Have you received an email about your order?
That would be the information you should reference until your service is active.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

As l stated I set up the account with Noah in loyalty...he and his supervisor both verified l have been approved..for 5 lines and no deposit. Now here is what l can confirm, the advertisement at att says free phone...there by law federal and state laws if there is an ad posted as free...regardless of what they say...there are no taxes by law if it is labeled as free...T Mobile and Sprint both got in touble for that very issue, it was labeled as in ethical, when you go to metro PC's and the have a phone marked free there is NO SALES TAX on the phone....period....you pay your first months bill and activation...that's it....now you may or may not be an of AT&T if you are your just towing the corporate line...if your not an employee..then your are just not informed on how best ethical practice work.
mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

9 months ago

Hello,

No knock to retailers, but the Walmart at the beginning made the rest of the story no surprise. Visit your local corporate AT&T store (att.com/stores) and they'll be able to clarify what you are approved for. Even "free" phones have tax up front (local sales tax) because the phone is free after bill credit and that's the cost of the phone, not taxes too. A visit to the actual store, will get a quicker, clearer result with a better experience and a face to face contact for issues.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Get started...

Ask a new question