Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sun, Feb 25, 2018 6:57 PM

Not receiving messages

Hello

I have a Google Pixel 2 XL fully updares. I'm being informed by multiple friends that I haven't received their MMS message, missing multiple messages on group chats and now just not receiving texts from 1 on 1 conversations. I thought it was the texting app but I downloaded a new one and same problem. What can I do?

Responses

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I've done it all with no improvement, still.  Yesterday I thought things had improved.  Then I asked my wife to show me her iPhone...same thread she and I are on with our daycare provider.  My wife had received texts that I hadn't.  Last night, got 2 texts in group threads (from iPhone users) that gave me the never-ending download prompt that doesn't work.

Enhanced is off - this did nothing for me.  You may THINK it does....but check out the phone of another (non-Pixel) user on the thread....you're probably not getting everything.

It's most definitely an AT&T issue...my friends with Pixels on Verizon have no such problems.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I turned off advanced LTE and I'm still suffering from this issue.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I've rolled back my phone to the February patch level loading the factory image manually which also did a factory reset (Enhanced LTE enabled).  Here are the results of my testing:

MMS Group Text Testing
1. I sent a MMS text message from my gmail account - FAILED (tested 3 more times FAILED)
2. I sent a MMS text message from my work account - SUCCESSFUL (tested 7 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
3. My wife sent me a MMS text message from her IPhone - SUCCESSFUL   (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
4. My daughter sent me a MMS text message from her IPhone - SUCCESSFUL   (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
5, My son sent me a MMS text message from his Pixel XL OG - SUCCESSFUL   (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)

MMS Picture Testing
1. I sent a MMS picture message from my gmail account - FAILED (tested 3 more times FAILED)
2. I sent a MMS picture message from my work account - FAILED (tested 5 more times FAILED)
3. My wife sent me a MMS picture message from her IPhone - FAILED   (tested 5 more times FAILED)
4. My daughter sent me a MMS picture message from her IPhone - FAILED   (tested 5 more times FAILED)
5, My son sent me a MMS picture message from his Pixel XL OG - FAILED   (tested 5 more times FAILED)

Conclusion:  I personally don't send many pictures over MMS so I don't if this worked prior to the March up.  However, it is clear that MMS text messaging worked in all but one case with the February patch.

I contacted AT&T again and spoke with senior technical support they have an ICU case open and are working with Google directly.  AT&T acknowledged that since the March update they have had numerous complaints from Pixel 2 users and they are tracking the issue and gathering information.  She also informed me that while Google is working with them they are only taking reports and not actively working the issue.  At least AT&T is taking action and openly communicating with their customers.  The support person deprovisioned VoLTE "Enhanced LTE" from their side and recommended disabling it on the phone.  I've done this and upgraded back to the March update.  I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE TO CONTACT AT&T SUPPORT AND GET ADDED TO THE ICU CASE THAT AT&T HAS OPENED REGARDING THIS GOOGLE PIXEL 2 / XL ISSUE.  THE MORE CUSTOMERS THAT REPORT THE ISSUE THE MORE PRESSURE THEY CAN APPLY TO GOOGLE TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE.  

Test results after applying the March update "Enhanced LTE disabled" and deprovisioned on the AT&T side.

MMS Group Text Testing
1. I sent a MMS text message from my gmail account - SUCCESSFUL (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
2. I sent a MMS text message from my work account - SUCCESSFUL (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
3. My wife sent me a MMS text message from her IPhone - SUCCESSFUL   (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
4. My daughter sent me a MMS text message from her IPhone - SUCCESSFUL   (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
5, My son sent me a MMS text message from his Pixel XL OG - SUCCESSFUL   (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)

MMS Picture Testing
1. I sent a MMS picture message from my gmail account - FAILED (tested 2 more times FAILED **Picture too large, Resized picture and tested 3 times SUCCESSFULLY)
2. I sent a MMS picture message from my work account - SUCCESSFUL (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
3. My wife sent me a MMS picture message from her IPhone - SUCCESSFUL (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
4. My daughter sent me a MMS picture message from her IPhone - SUCCESSFUL (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)
5, My son sent me a MMS picture message from his Pixel XL OG - SUCCESSFUL (tested 5 more times SUCCESSFULLY)

Final conclusion:  By having AT&T remove VoLTE (Enhanced LTE) from my account and disabling it on the phone I was able to consistently send MMS text and picture messages.  In my opinion this is a Google software issue that is incompatible with AT&T VoLTE service.  Please note that if you have this removed your account that you will loose HD calling and the ability to maintain LTE connectivity while on a phone call.

Regards,

Scott Ahmann

PS:  Perhaps Google will compensate me for my time and effort in troubleshooting their issue and finding a real work around.

Cross posted to AT&T support thread and emailed to Google support manager

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I just canceled my AT&T service and signed up with google's project fi.
Cheaper, works great, and way less hassle waiting for a fix.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the same problem with Samsung J320a and at&t network. I can send text to everyone but only receive text from the one with at&t service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same issue here. Pixel 2 XL. Missing from both android and iPhone users. Been happinging since end of Feb.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Adding myself to this thread as I have the exact issue described with the Pixel 2.  I called AT&T twice and they never mentioned there was an open case.  But I will be calling again to get added to it. 

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks so much for the help sahmann. I've been having exactly the same problem.

After reading your findings I contacted AT&T and had them disable VoLTE and on my phone as well just as you described. Works like a champ now!!

Hope Google gets this fixed soon.

Interesting note: moved my sim card to my previous Pixel phone before doing all this. Works fine on that phone with the same March updates installed.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

What exactly is VoLTE -what is the functionality? Is that something I can
disable myself or do I need to call.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

This is AT&T's description of it:

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/hd-voice.html

I had to call to have it turn off on my phone AND disable it in my phone's settings and restart.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

VoLTE is "Voice over LTE" In the AT&T world it allows for HD (High
Definition) calling and allows you to remain on LTE during phone calls.
Without VoLTE you drop down to 3G while you are on the phone.

Regards,

Scott

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I have been having this problem for the past few days. Maybe longer, I am not sure.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

FIXED: This is really pathetic, on both ATT and Google's part. (Can't we all just get along?!). On my 5th-6th call to Google (they originally told me "we're well aware of the issue and should have a fix in a day or two"), after nearly 2 weeks of no reliable group or other multimedia texts (MMS) - pictures, videos, etc - the customer support agent was very apologetic, 15 minutes in. I was clearly perturbed, but also clearly not blaming the poor guy on the other end of the phone. He finally said to me "you could try installing an alternate messaging app" but was "not allowed" to recommend one. Eventually, he recommended Google Hangouts and it became clear that he was only allowed to recommend Google brand apps. After one friend's advice and some research, I've tried Telegram (couldn't get it to load my phone's contacts) and Textra (which is slick, but doesn't have a desktop companion). Both work. I'm sticking with Textra for now. Don't have more time to waste. Eventually, I'd like to find an app that a) works; b) provides seamless support/integration with google contacts; and c) also supports desktop texting for when I'm sitting at my desk (a lot of the time). 

Google/ATT: Put customer service above all else. It would have saved me SO much time and effort if you'd simply told me to try an alternate texting app 2 weeks ago. Otherwise love the phone, camera, network, performance. But to not be able to reliably text with friends and family (in a given thread, some texts would come through and others wouldn't - even from the same individual! - so really vexing and unworkable). 

Tom

Google Pixel 2 xl, ATT

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

@99EEBizDecider 

I tried this as well and it did not work for me. I tested it with group messages, images and single MMS images and was still having the same problem. Nothing was coming through. So I would not consider this a "fix".

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

In response to trying alternative texting apps; Beware, this did not fix my
problem. Hangouts no longer has sms support, so I tried:
Textra: looks nice but when you encounter the message failures were all
experiencing it simply won't show that you have a message to download. So
you'll never know the issue is happening at all.
Signal: same issue as Textra, does not display missed messages available
for download
Facebook Messenger: downloaded messages successfully only slightly more
often than my standard app. And I wasn't a fan of sharing my contacts with
Facebook.

Seriously guys, choose not to be stuck in the finger pointing game and
switch carriers already. I switched to Google's Project Fi last week and am
saving money with better coverage and zero issues.

Get started...

Ask a new question