For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
CC3698's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, October 17th, 2015 9:53 PM

Nexus 6 Marshmallow update ETA?

Hi, I understand the update is being rolled out in stages,  but  can anyone give an approximate ETA for the AT&T specific build of Android 6;0 Marshmallow? (I have already installed the prerequisite October security update, build LMY48W).

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

I beta tested fi great service I'd you don't use a ton of data.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

The only way to flash update the phone is to root it which voids the warranty.  That will kill my Next contact.  Google advertises quick updates and I am now reading that other phones are almost due to get Andoid 6.0.  The Y build is a total power hog.  If AT@T won't push out the update then I want a new phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

No the only way to flash the phone is unlock it. You don't need root

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

@RS1 wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with the HD voice, advanced messaging, video calling features they recently started rolling out? (Google Play Purchased Nexus 6 here.. On At&t.. Still stuck on 5.1.1 LMY48Y)

I hope that is what is taking so long and if it is the case I wish AT&T would be more transparent about it so that customers would know what is taking so long. Mainly because we deserve to know about software updates to our devices and those are all welcomed features that I wouldn't mind putting up with their boot animation for.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@YinYangYo wrote:

@RS1 wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with the HD voice, advanced messaging, video calling features they recently started rolling out? (Google Play Purchased Nexus 6 here.. On At&t.. Still stuck on 5.1.1 LMY48Y)

I hope that is what is taking so long and if it is the case I wish AT&T would be more transparent about it so that customers would know what is taking so long. Mainly because we deserve to know about software updates to our devices and those are all welcomed features that I wouldn't mind putting up with their boot animation for.

except the nexus 6 will never see those features.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Agree with others--stuck on LMY48Y now...and there are not OTA files to get to Marshmallow from 48Y at present...

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

8 years ago

It's especially frustrating to me because of the Google search bug. White screen and blank results page when trying to use google search or Google now. Basically cripples the phone and annoyingly I have to open Chrome every time i want to search for something. ATT, Give us some info here please!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Any word from AT&T.

Frustrated Nexus 6 owner / Unsatisfied AT&T customer.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

I just can't believe that having an unlocked Google phone which was not purchased through AT&T, why we are locked into AT&T dictating and controlling our updates. The purpose of an unlocked phone is that you have the freedom of switching SIM cards and being able to use other networks worldwide.

Android OS should be controlled by Google, like Apple controls its updates. Carriers should not have control of it. Why don't the carriers control Apple? Even when you purchased an iPhone through a carrier and were locked into a two year contract, where did you get your IOS from? APPLE, that's where.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@georged98 wrote:

I just can't believe that having an unlocked Google phone which was not purchased through AT&T, why we are locked into AT&T dictating and controlling our updates. The purpose of an unlocked phone is that you have the freedom of switching SIM cards and being able to use other networks worldwide.

Android OS should be controlled by Google, like Apple controls its updates. Carriers should not have control of it. Why don't the carriers control Apple? Even when you purchased an iPhone through a carrier and were locked into a two year contract, where did you get your IOS from? APPLE, that's where.

@georged98

AH but you missed one thing...  Android is an open source op system.  Apple is closed and apple makes there own hardware or well has it made for them.

Android has more OEMs than I care to count.  

Just so you realize that the nexus 6 is an anomolly as its the only nexus att ever carried or ever will carry.  MOTO handed att all the IMEI's for all nexus devices to add to there system from the looks of it.  So that is how ATT is holding up the updates.  Now you are free to take the phone to any carrier you want and it will work.

My suggestion to those that dont want to wait is unlock the bootloader and flash marshmallow.  yeah you will lose everything on the phone but hey you get the new os.  And by the way it runs fine on ATT.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.