For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
aritchey's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Monday, December 16th, 2013 1:02 PM

Nexus 5 on Att No MMS

This is the closest thread to my issue. I'm on day 30 of a GoPhone $60. plan with my Nexus 5. I had them transfer my number from the Straight Talk AT&T service. Before leaving the AT&T store, after setting up the account, I had tested everything but MMS. I sent several and that was fine. When each tried to send a pic to me, it never came through--no notification, nothing. I went through Level 3 tech support over the phone with the only suggestion: go to a store and have them reset the account. (Levels 1 and 2 did many troubleshootng steps but each of them could not send me a picture message--each received an error message unlike my friends). I did go to an AT&T store (two, in fact) and at each explained my problem. A new sim was set up each time (at my suggestion), but still no in-coming MMS. When the girl at the second store could not successfully send me MMS, she asked her manager. The reply was that the Nexus 5 is not supported on the GoPhone network (she specified the GoPhone network which I believe is the AT&T network). I responded that many people have reported (howardforums) that their Nexus 5's on GoPhone work 100%. When I asked how that could be, the reply was that they were just lucky. 

Everything else works great. LTE data is no issue (especially now that is is in my rural southcentral Florida town). Sending messages works. At my home, I generally get 3G, and the phone is set up to go to either as the signal changes.I've tried a variety of APN settings; various messaging apps, having wifi on/off. Nothing has had an effect

One further detail, before trying new sims, I exchanged sims with my husband's iphone 4s, also on GoPhone. With his sim, I could receive MMS; with my sim, his phone could not. That clearly pointed to the sim or the account. The likelihood of having 3 bad sims is near zero, so it must be something else. I'm waiting to see if anything changes when I roll over into the second 30 day cycle (some Nexus 5 users on Straight Talk AT&T have reported that's when their in-coming MMS started working) although I've read no one on GoPhone having that experience. In fact, I've read no reports of anyone with the Nexus 5 on GoPhone having that problem--or any problem. If I still have the problem tomorrow, I will go back to support.

I would appreciate any insight into how to get this issue cleared up--how do I get to the right source to solve the problem.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

As you have pretty much eliminated a faulty SIM as the cause, and network data is working, I'd say this is almost certainly a matter of the incorrect APN info.

Try the APNs listed on the following links.  In particular, pay attention to the settings that have "MMS" in them, as these are usually the culprit:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Unlocked-Phone-APN-Settings/td-p/3467513#.Uq8j_fQ2xWY

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1803177-GoPhone-APN-settings-list

Also, you didn't previously use an iPhone on the same SIM.  And are the folks sending you the pics (that don't come through) iPhone users?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

Are SMS messages coming through to you, just not MMS messages?  You mentioned that you ported your number.  Sometimes, ports take a while to fully complete.  During that time, some text messages may not make it through to your phone.  I normally see that people could receive text messages from customers of the new carrier, but cannot receive text messages from customers of the old carrier.

If you are receiving SMS but not MMS, I agree with RedPoint that it sounds like a problem with your APN settings.  Have you had those checked out?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

First, let me thank the moderator who moved my post for better exposure. Now to questions:

MMS from iphone only, no. I cannot receive from Android, iphone, my own phone, or from ATT technical support. I can send and receive SMS.

As far as APN, if I had no data at all, that's the logical conclusion. However, despite the fact that I have data (excellent LTE data and can send MMS), I have tried a variety of suggestions. Up until this try (I tried again), the wap apn had not worked at all--no data. That was the first thing the third store rep tried and when she saw that I had no data, she was stymied. Once I re-selected the phone apn, I had data. Now, this morning I tried wap and it does work for data and out-going MMS. Unfortunately, still no in-coming MMS. I have tried ports 80 and 8080; APN types: default and default,supl,mms and default,supl,mms,hipri. In short, I have tried anything and everything I have read about.

Although it is supposedly working correctly for MMS as of recent updates, I've eliminated hangouts from the variables. I'm using 8SMS. I can set the MMS info within its settings. 

So, yes, I have eliminated a "bad" sim, but I still believe that the fact that when I swap sims with the iphone 4s, my N5 does receive MMS and the 4s does not points to something being wrong with the information programmed on the sim: my account.

Today, I started my second month and was hoping against hope that the situation that straightened out this very issue on most Straight Talk AT&T Nexus 5 users would work for me. It does not surprise me that it did not. The other is specifically a Straight Talk issue--like so many others which is why I'm trying to get GoPhone working as well for me as it does for the two iphone 4s's I moved from Straight Talk. 

The thought of having to return to Straight Talk for full compatibility does not appeal to me. As I stated before, I've read (howardforums, xda, android central, phandroid) of no one with the Nexus 5 on GoPhone having this issue. Everyone reports that the combination works 100%.

Regarding the port, I'm totally ignorant in what technical process goes on there, but is it possible (because there did seem to be a problem with the port but it eventually went through) that an error during the port could have caused this issue? Is it "all or nothing"? I do understand that full service can be a matter of time, but that time has passed. Could a new phone number be a resolution?

I do appreciate the responses. It's back to phone support.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@aritchey wrote:

MMS from iphone only, no. I cannot receive from Android, iphone, my own phone, or from ATT technical support. I can send and receive SMS.

As far as APN, if I had no data at all, that's the logical conclusion. However, despite the fact that I have data (excellent LTE data and can send MMS), I have tried a variety of suggestions. Up until this try (I tried again), the wap apn had not worked at all--no data. That was the first thing the third store rep tried and when she saw that I had no data, she was stymied. Once I re-selected the phone apn, I had data. Now, this morning I tried wap and it does work for data and out-going MMS. Unfortunately, still no in-coming MMS. I have tried ports 80 and 8080; APN types: default and default,supl,mms and default,supl,mms,hipri. In short, I have tried anything and everything I have read about.

iPhones and iMessage sometimes play havoc with SMS/MMS, so that is why I asked.  But it sounds like we can eliminate that as the cause in your case.

Just because you have data, I would not eliminate APN as the cause.  Seen it happen plenty of times (no MMS but data ok) including to myself.  For the MMSC and MMS proxy lines, try the info included in both of the links I posted above.  Double and triple check they are typed exactly right.  No extra spaces, no missing slashes, or backslashes instead of slashes, etc.

Just work on the APN that has data.  If you have no data, you won't get MMS no matter what.  So no point in wasting any more time on the APN that you already know gets you no data.

Although the fact that you can send  but not receive MMS is suspicious.  If the APN is wrong, I think it would fail for both.  But its a good idea to at least try everything, as it seems you are running out of solutions at this point.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

I agree that trying everything is necessary. I think I have. I'm fairly knowledgeable regarding the device and am aware of iMessage problems. Again, I appreciate your help. Being able to send mms but not receive MMS has been an issue for a lot of Straight Talk ATT users--especially on the Nexus 5. For thrm, it has been a service issue (solved by rolling into next 30 days or getting a new sim even if they have a new sim already) not APN.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

The solution was to get my number changed. It did seem there may have been a problem during the port. When I asked the CSR, wonderful Annette, about changing the number, she said that she was aware that number transfers from one prepay to another can be a problem that a new number fixes. The only other time I transferred my number was from Sprint to Straight Talk over 18 months ago. I know it doesn't ALWAYS happen because I manage 4 phones (2 4s's and a Nexus 4) and they all worked with the transfers (one from Sprint to Straight Talk to T-Mobile).

She also told me that if it didn't work, I could have the old number back (temporary until testing affirmed the receipt of MMS). 

I didn't want to change, but I wanted full GoPhone service.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

I am intersted here.

Please share all informatn my gmail:{Personal content removed for your safety}

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@Ctls_Rajesh wrote:

I am intersted here.

Please share all informatn my gmail:{Personal content removed for your safety}

If you have the same issue as the OP, the solution was already posted.

If its a similar issue, but not exactly the same, you will need to give more details if you want help.  Post here for others to help, or possibly PM a community manager for assistance.  This is how this forum works, folks aren't and shouldn't email you directly to help you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have ran into your issue and have the answer, this is not a apn issue but a code issue with kitkat, by default on 4.4 Hangouts became the mms app, well since it released google has recieved multiple reports of devices failing to send and recieve mms. Hopefully a update will be rollec out soon. Hopefully this helps.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you, but as I stated above, I found the issue (in my case) to be a bad number port. Once my number was changed, everything worked. And, as I'd stated in my second post, I'd eliminated Hangouts as a source by using 8SMS. FWIW, Hangouts works perfectly with my MMS--both ways. There have been several updates to Hangouts which were supposed to make it work; however, when I had my husband's sim in my phone, MMS (before the updates) did work using Hangouts although it may not have been steadfast as I only switched sims for an hour or so.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.