Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
tommy99's profile

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 4:15 PM

Need sim chip to unlock phone?

Hi, I emailed ATT for unlock code for my Samsung S6 Active. They sent email saying it is approved and gave me the unlock code. But in the email it says that for the phone to be unlock, I will need to put in another carrier's sim chip first and then enter the code. Do I really need another carrier sim chip to unlock my phone? And is it that once unlock, it is unlock for all sim chips and I don't have to enter the unlock code each time I put in a new sim chip? Also, I'm going to be upgrading to the s7 Active, should I unlock before getting the new phone just in case I have problems unlocking?

Thanks,

Tommy

Guru

• 

408 Messages

8 years ago

Hello @tommy99 I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties to complete your device unlock process. I can help you with that!

Yes, the communication you received, stating the need of a SIM card from another carrier, is part of the requirements for you to be able to complete the unlock of your device.

Also, you are correct expecting that to be and remain open for all carriers providing service within the frequencies that your device operates on.

The unlock process is a separate transaction that will not affect the transaction of an upgrade. You may submit the Device Unlock Request at any time after meeting its requirements.

Please, take a few minutes to review all the requirements needed to be elegible for the device unlock: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1008728

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Try method 2, 3, or 4 in the following article.

http://www.roamgalaxy.com/pages/how-to-unlock-a-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-s6-s5-s4-s3-s2-s-note-1-2-3-4-5

Once unlocked, the phone is forever unlocked. You should do it before upgrading, as you can sell it for more if it is unlocked.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

Hi Busternutt, I tried method #2 and #3 and both returns "Connection problem or invalid MMI code" I did not try method #4.

I also tried just entering *#7465625# and this also returns the "Connection problem or invalid MMI code"

Maybe because I have the s6 Active it needs a different set of digits?

Thanks,

Tommy

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@tommy99 Did it get to the point where it was asking for your unlock code then?

That MMI error should be disjoint from unlock the phone, simply reboot, and try the 2,3, 4 methods, per @Busternutt

One of these should bring you to the PIN unlock screen, without having a "foreign" SIM card, which is really handy, if you're going to be traveling or such, and want to make SURE it's unlocked, before you depart.

@ML0815 You may not know this, but almost any phone has this function, typically a series of numbers and #, *, from the dial menu, to be able to enter the unlock function, without the need to have a SIM. 

As above, it's very handy, if you're thinking you're headed off somewhere and want to be 100% sure your'e unlocked before, but don't have a different SIM, yet.

It's nice on the Lumia line, they all have the same sequence.  On Android phones, they're a bit all-over, although there is some manufacturer consistency, and you can find almost any sequence, with a quick search...

Guru

• 

408 Messages

8 years ago

Hello @pgrey I would never step into anyone's toes. Being that said, as current AT&T employee, I can only help customers with their concerns with AT&T official written information. I hope you understand my position. We all want to help, that's why we do this for free here. Smiley Happy

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

Hi,

@pgrey, @Busternutt, @ML0815

Thanks for your assist on my issue.

After powering down (shut down) and then power back up.

Go to Dial screen and used method #4, it prompted me to enter my code! and I think it returned "unlock successful" (I got a glimpse as I looked away for a sec).

Thanks a bunch!

Tommy

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@tommy99, I don't have an Active, but an S7. Even though mine is already unlocked, when I enter the #7465625*638*#, i get to the unlock screen. Be sure you are typing it in exactly as shown.

Edit: Good to see it worked for your Active. This may help others in the future.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@ML0815 Sorry, I may have mis-implied, I wasn't meaning you were stepping on anyone's toes;-]

I meant it was an FYI, in case you're answering threads where others are unlocking.  I assume it's okay for you to point to a key-sequence, to aid them in the (valid) AT&T unlock, to use the phone while traveling?

@tommy99 Good to hear! On most phones, you can re-enter the same screen, and it will show an "unlocked symbol" to make it easy to verify that you're unlocked fully.

Can you please also mark one of the posts (not yours) as the best part of the solution, so when we tag it, the user tends to see the solved post more readily?  I'm not saying to mark mine necesarily, just the one that contains the best info.  Thanks.

Edit: I went back and looked, and actually your post is fine as a solution too, but could you please include the actual key sequence, instead of pointing to "#4"?  That way, if the site goes away or changes, people can get a real solution from the thread.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Busternutt wrote:

@tommy99, I don't have an Active, but an S7. Even though mine is already unlocked, when I enter the #7465625*638*#, i get to the unlock screen. Be sure you are typing it in exactly as shown.

Edit: Good to see it worked for your Active. This may help others in the future.

@BusternuttYeah, I could scribble together an article that shows the mapping for these, I wonder if AT&T would be okay with that?  I pose the question elsewhere, and see, it seems like a perfectly valid thing to me, if you're unlocking using an official key from AT&T...

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

Hi,

For reference, this is the method that worked for me:

Reboot phone.

Go to the dial screen on your phone as if you are going to make a call and press #7465625*638*# Once prompted for code, enter the 8 digit Unlock Code.

Thanks,

Tommy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.