Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Charles Ray

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Sun, Jun 2, 2013 5:52 PM

Need larger keyboard, Ideas/Advices appreciated

Hi All: Newby here, my med induced hand tremors have reduced the usefulness of my Sansung Captivate 3g phone.to about zip. Need a new one, but two complcations. First, my carrier (AT&T) prevents 4g phones from using MMTexts on prepaid plans. It will transmit the txt but not the MM (Pix,tunes,VId). Second, I cant afford to give up my $1 day MobiletoMobile prepaid plan, and so far I have been unable to find a 4.5 in or larger phone that is 3G. I prefer Samsung (they have served me well for near 20yrs). . So I ask, anyone know of a 4.5in or larger screen phone, Samsung or ?? (prefer Android o/s) that is 3G? Or as an opition if first question bombs, Can I rewrite the APN in a 4G phone to make it appear as a 3G phone to the carrier and let the MMText pass as sent.

Responses

jii

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

7 years ago

MMS works just fine on 4G/LTE phones on a prepaid plan. If you're using an unbranded phone, you may have to edit your APN profiles. A quick Google search will provide the necessary information.

As far as devices, the Galaxy S line are all legit, and with the 4 out now, finding S2s and S3s for cheap (assuming that you're going to buy a phone off-contract) shouldn't be a problem.

Lastly, if finances are tight, I'd suggest looking into StraightTalk or Net10. $45/mo for unlimited minutes/texting/web is hard to beat, and you can bring an AT&T branded phone.

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

7 years ago

@Charles Ray wrote:
Hi All: Newby here, my med induced hand tremors have reduced the usefulness of my Sansung Captivate 3g phone.to about zip. Need a new one, but two complcations. First, my carrier (AT&T) prevents 4g phones from using MMTexts on prepaid plans. It will transmit the txt but not the MM (Pix,tunes,VId). Second, I cant afford to give up my $1 day MobiletoMobile prepaid plan, and so far I have been unable to find a 4.5 in or larger phone that is 3G. I prefer Samsung (they have served me well for near 20yrs). . So I ask, anyone know of a 4.5in or larger screen phone, Samsung or ?? (prefer Android o/s) that is 3G? Or as an opition if first question bombs, Can I rewrite the APN in a 4G phone to make it appear as a 3G phone to the carrier and let the MMText pass as sent.

If you can afford the 700 dollar phone or so (600-700) the international galaxy s4 will run on AT&T network perfectly fine (not LTE)

Get started...

Ask a new question