Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
cturboaddict

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Wed, Nov 6, 2019 6:42 PM

MMS does not work when Wifi Calling Activated

Samsung Galaxy S10 

I was having a ton of trouble receiving picture messages (MMS) whenever Wifi Calling is active.

I tried Stock Samsung Messages app, Textra, and Google Messages. (currently still using Google Messages)

My home has horrible reception (outside great, inside horrid), so after Wifi calling went active (we used to use a microcell that had horrible data speeds) we figured most issues would be fixed.

Well now, I get day late clues (no notification at all) that someone sent me a MMS and i have to "download" it. Or, if someone sent me a MMS while wifi/wifi calling were turned on, I would see the spinning photo box, but it would never show a picture. Not until I restarted my phone in good data coverage or by random it would work. I thought it had something to do with Iphones sending to my android (as most of the people I know use iphone), but found out last week that it was Android as well. After hours of trial and error, I thought it was wifi itself. But this happens at work (where I have great 4glte and 5g) and while at home (where I have horrible 4glte inside the house). After digging further and further, I found WIFI CALLING to be the culprit. 

If i receive a MMS while wifi calling is active, It will not download. You cannot receive the message and just turn wifi calling off, as it won't download still. You have to receive the message while wifi calling is turned off to properly receive the picture message.

Anyone have any idea on what to do? 

Responses

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 months ago

I should add, I can SEND pictures with wifi calling turned on. This is ONLY receiving MMS.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

I have the same issue at work along with sometimes it won't send either and sometimes it all worked? At home with at&t wifi it works better but will still have issues..s10+. I have also tried different apps and makes no difference. Last week or so been using stock message app with wifi calling off and it worked perfect.. 

I had a big update over weekend. And will try wifi again and report back.. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

• I also have too note that I share a couple gigs of data with wife and my parents that I put on plan. But we all keep data off unless needed seeing that most places you go these days have wifi.. this was also happening
  • on my s9 for last couple months before I upgraded a couple weeks ago.? The s10+ seems to have more issues though..

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 months ago

I visited the ATT store yesterday. They could not help me, said I needed to call in to Tech Support. After speaking with Tech Support, it's a known issue with ATT/Samsung phones after the last update. MMS does not work when WIFI calling is active. 
For now, we just have to wait until Samsung updates the software apparently. 

The only thing we can do is turn off our wifi calling, and it will work. You just won't be able to receive phone calls in weak data areas where you have wifi coverage. 
So, it's either text or phone, one or the other but not both.

Side note, the tech rep was extremely rude. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

Well so far after update last Saturday and trying wifi calling again today. Texting worked all day without issue? Knocking on wood...one other thing that was different after update it took awhile for wifi calling to turn on.. before update it was a couple seconds..

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 months ago

I have no new updates.... 
But after talking on a couple other forums, I have found a temporary work around.
If you go into developer mode, you can switch on "cellular data always active", which seems to have fixed the problem. 

Texting has never been an issue. It's picture messages/MMS that is the problem. 

behenchod

• 

18 Messages

Leaving data always on prevents wifi calling from enabling. So your "solution" is the same as turning off wifi calling. Thanks

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 months ago

Still no update. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

After the latest update that I had it has worked fine. Only thing I noticed that was different is without data on and not under wifi coverage it won't do the high quality pictures.that had to be turned off in the att texting app. I even went back to using chomp texting and everything thing is still working fine.. no more failure to send.

It was like a 800mb update that resolved this. 

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 months ago

Just checked now. I have a 204MB update to do. 
Let's see what it does.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 months ago

NOPE. After update, still cannot receive MMS when Wifi calling is active. 

Have to override in developer mode to "cellular data always active". 
Wifi calling is still blocking data receiving. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

So now my issue is I keep data off most of the time. I have a older smaller plan. Not a big deal except now I have to have data on to send or receive pictures outside of wifi. Didn't before updates? And my s9 had a option to check in mobile data area for using data for mms and pics this one doesn't? 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

Update don't know if this will help with wifi issue but my issue is fixed with using my chomp texting app and limiting picture size to 600kb and now I receive and send with no issues..the att app wouldn't resize pics and wouldn't let me send unless data is on.. wifes note 10 does it with no issues using att app? Something is wrong with s10 texting app after update.. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

I am in WV with no AT&T service in the area of my home.  I have been using the Micro-Cell too.  I recently purchased 2 S10 phones through AT&T due to hearing that they are no longer supporting the Micro-Cell.  So now when I'm at the house and using Wi-Fi calling I do not receive MMS pictures either.  They will download if I'm at a location within range of a tower but not at the house.  The really strange thing is I am able to send and receive MMS to and from my S10s while in the house.  But not not from other callers.  I spent a great deal of time with AT&T over this and they are aware of it but have done nothing to fix it.  I had to setup my Micro-Cell again in order to receive MMS.  I should have kept my old S4s and saved $1800.   

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 months ago

So update with mine is that its hit or miss with mms pics and wifi calling.. luckily I'm in a area were I don't need it on and been keeping it off.  And update to wifes note 10 is that she can send them and they come through but she can't recieve any with wifi calling on. Turns it off and they come through.  There is definitely a bug in there mms pics and wifi calling.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 months ago

The stock text app doesn't work for me at all for pics. It won't resize down and says I have to turn data on which I leave off due to a older limited plan I have.. were as   chomp the text app I use now does resize and send?  And has a lot of other options also.. wifes note 10 resizes with stock app..? My s9 had no issues and this s10+ is supposed to be a upgrade? Hopefully there will be a fix soon?

Get started...

Ask a new question