For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Caboose2099's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, January 29th, 2017 2:20 AM

Maven 2 Z831 Limited internal storage.

I recently acquired the ZTE Maven 2 model Z831. This is a decent midrange device. However the internal storage is a little lacking. This is due to the bloatware included that I do NOT NEED OR WANT. The ONLY way to remove these apps and clean the storage is to root the phone.

Also in older Android versions, you could move apps to the SD card(this is why I got the 32gb for this phone) but this feature has been removed. Overall this phone seems crippled. After picking and choosing the apps that I could fit on the phone, this adds the problem of not having enough space to install updates. Meaning that apps have to be removed just to update the others.

This phone was free due to a promotion, even then in my opinion the price was to high. Currently looking for a solution to this issue. Normally people root or install custom firmware to expand a devices ability. It's sad that I'm going to have to resort to these actions just to make the phone usable for me.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

ATT has about the biggest i diots in all the communications world. The read scripts and if its something thats Off script, then they are lost.  I have the same phone and its a P  O  S. ATT should be sued. Im sure something can be found on them

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This phone can be rooted. I recently rooted mine. Idk if its any longer of interest, but if it is, I can elaborate with specifics.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I think the same. Disable standard android functions is a really bad habit. And the only solution at&t staff offered is to delete the apps that I needed or to buy a cloud storage. Why should bloatware like amazon be needed for the system ? I understand that at&t staff don't want the phone to be rooted, but then they should provide a solution to put data and apps to a additional SD card. Why they don't ?  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

My wife has a Maven 3. She is not happy at all. She was able to install Words With Friends, but cannot install any other apps, because there's not enough space. Absolutely nothing else will install. I've searched all your online documents that you link to in these posts, there's not a single word about addressing this problem.
As to the claims that the apps that can't be removed are necessary for the phone to work, please tell us how Amazon, Yelp and Ebay help this phone connect to the AT&T network? Amazon Shopping cannot be uninstalled, and Ebay and Yelp reinstall with every update, on the rare occasion that the phone can update. Mostly, we get notifications that the phone can't update because of lack of space.

Regarding the suggestion to "move photos and music to the SD card", there are no photos or music on this phone. So no, that's not going to work.

Please don't lie to customers about bricking their phones. It rarely happens during the rooting process.

All that said, I'd love to have an actual solution. Please tell me how to free up space so I can install apps and get my updates, how to block the installation of apps that ***do not*** have anything to do with AT&T connectivity, and how to force the phone to use the SD card as space for installation and updates. My wife and I are not at all happy with this purchase, and are seriously considering switching to a less restrictive provider. Give us a reason to stay with your company.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@roguemouser

https://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/maven-3-prepaid.html#sku=sku8460224

Its a $40, 8 gig storage phone, what do you expect?   If you rent a studio apartment you don’t have as much room as you get if you rent a 4 bedroom house.  

It’s not a “problem”, it’s a cheap phone, you get what you pay for.    

Spend more and you get more.  Now if you want suggestions for bargains with room for apps, you may have to look outside ATT meager offerings.  

Moto G4 Plus is $220-$250 for 64 gigs storage.  

Moto G5 Plus is $100 more and a full year newer.

You can purchase off Amazon or at Best Buy.  Make sure you get the US version.  Best Buy has other great unlocked, non ATT phones in their larger stores.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40

I disagree. The phone is decent. The problem is not the phone, it's the AT&T bloatware and that AT&T disabled a standard Android feature, likely in order to push its subscription cloud storage service. There are certainly better phones, I don't dispute that. But this is not a problem with the phone, but rather the service provider, decisions made by AT&T that prevent the customer from using the phone in the normally expected way. My own phone is a three year old HTC Desire, far inferior to the Maven 3, but I use Cricket, and my phone isn't loaded with bloatware and never has storage issues. So I don't think it's the phone at all, but the service provider's choice to force apps and services we do not need or want.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Att no longer has cloud storage.  As for the apps on the system partition.  Those app makers PAID to have those apps on there.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@roguemouser 

The desire has twice the storage of the Maven.  The included software is probably using about the same amount of storage.  ATT doesn’t have cloud storage, when it did, it was free.  That “bloat “ hardly takes up any storage.  The OS for Marshmallow or Nougat uses about 5-6 gigs (Which the desire won’t get.    Pick a phone with more storage to start with.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just want to say NONE of the "Info"/"Answers" given by you AT&T Staff Members helped anyone on this dang thread!! After beating around the dang busy for 29msgs you still failed to answer our questions directly, which is so so SOOOO Frustrating as I'm having the same exact issue with my Stoopid Flipping Maven 2. I'm very Displeased, Mad, Angry, Disappointed, Frustrated & completely Dissatisfied with my AT&T Service

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Pad_Chadderson   It’s a cheap phone.  You get what you pay for.  There are much better phones, for $100-300.  

*Adoptable storage is what you're all looking for, but it wasn’t included at this price point.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.