Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
ATTKevin

Former Employee

• 

408 Messages

Thu, May 12, 2016 9:52 PM

Marshmallow Updates & Discussion

Android Marshmallow.PNG

Hi Everyone!

After seeing all of the discussion around Marshmallow (and observing how spread out it is), I thought it would be a great idea to create a dedicated place for us as the mobility community team to share the information we have.

Anyone is welcome to join in the conversation; all I ask is (as a personal favor) we keep the conversation civil. We want to get you the information and updates as much as you want them. I think that's fair 🙂

Keep reading to see all news, updates, timelines, and anything else we have to share. This is a living post, so check back often!

1 Attachment

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

4 years ago

@ATTKevin

Your link is about right but that was happening months ago.  Now I have been running MM on my ATT edge+ since the download server links were found battery life is up 35% over 5.1.1.  That is what DOZE will do for you.  Now I dont know what is going on behind the seens but I have a feeling it has to do with adding directv bloat to the builds as there is none on these builds from the download server.  If this is the case I will be finding a new carrier as I dont use dtv and there apps should no be on my device...   I know the dtv app is on the s7.

Have a read of this link...

http://www.androidcentral.com/atts-pre-installed-galaxy-s7-apps-are-more-annoying-ever

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ATTKevin

Former Employee

• 

408 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @NIgelDarren,

As a first time AT&T, let me first welcome you. Welcome!

I apologize that the update isn’t out yet for your device. That doesn’t make for a great first impression. As of now, we don’t have a timeline for the release. As soon as I can share anything, I definitely will.

I know this isn’t the answer you’re looking for and I sincerely apologize for that. Keep being vocal, keep being persistent. We’re listening to our customers more than ever before, and continuing to be part of the conversation can only help.

Hey @Twitchy,

As I work for AT&T, I’m a little biased towards them Smiley Happy

Let me give you my perspective on this. Everyone I work with has AT&T. All of their family members generally have AT&T. Most of their friends have it. Being as large as we are, there’s a good chance that everyone working here will talk to someone in a day that uses us.

When you have so many people in your life connected to you through your company, you really wouldn’t want to do anything wrong by them.

The point is, this translates to all of our customers. If we wouldn’t want the people in our personal life to be forced to upgrade in such an underhanded way, we wouldn’t that for anyone.

Happy Monday @GLIMMERMAN76!

That’s a really good idea. I think shying away from talking about phones that aren’t getting upgrades isn’t the right way to go. We should be more open about talking about it even if the people affected won’t like the outcome. At least they would know what’s going on and can manage expectations better.

Thanks!

Hello @DextarRogue,

Every customer makes a difference. For me, saying that isn’t some corporate feel good statement. It’s true. You just have to look at the person as an individual and not as part of a giant user base.

I understand the frustration as I’m right there with you with this whole thing. I really do appreciate you voicing that here.

I’m sorry to hear about your customer service experience; can you tell us more about it? Over at @ATTU-verseCare, I know they would want to hear your story. We can’t fix what we don’t know about.

If you don’t want to talk about it here, can you shoot them a message by clicking here?

Being honest, I don’t know if we will have an option to buy an unlocked device that can be updated from Samsung. That’s good feedback though, so I’ll pass it along.

rclevenger

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

4 years ago

@AttKevinCS.

I'm glad the S6 community is actually getting some much needed attention. I've seen numerous posts of people saying that the will not be buying a carrier branded phone after this and are also looking to other carriers to give them what ATT hasn't given them yet. I'm not sure what the relationship between ATT and Samsung, Motorola, LG, or HTC to name a few is, but as with anything the timing of releases will initially be driven by the manufacturer and then the carrier. Samsung for whatever reason always seems to be lag behind. If there are issues with the OS just shoot it to us straight we can handle it. We might not like what we hear, but we can handle it.  I think more people are upset about the lack of information than the fact that the OS hasnt been upgraded to Marshmallow. No manufacturer promises you an OS upgrade after you purchase the device but if significant improvements are made to the OS in a reasonable time frame and the hardware is perfectly capable of running it then why not upgrade it. Hopefully ATT listens and responds to us and we pave the way for ATT being more transparent on OS upgrades to its users. 

smcphee723

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry, no. Cleaning the cache did not help. I am seeing several people post and it seems the success of the update installing is hit or miss. Makes me curious why it works on some and not others...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Even if there are bugs in the marshmallow update it doesn't explain why we are 3 months behind on security updates, even the s6 active has a more up to date security patch than the s6. We are just stuck with an out of date and less secure os and it seems like we will be for a while. I know there is not much you can do Kevin but I do want to thank you for taking you're time to read and try and answer our questions and concerns.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

@ATTKevinCS wrote:

Hello @DextarRogue,

Every customer makes a difference. For me, saying that isn’t some corporate feel good statement. It’s true. You just have to look at the person as an individual and not as part of a giant user base.

I understand the frustration as I’m right there with you with this whole thing. I really do appreciate you voicing that here.

I’m sorry to hear about your customer service experience; can you tell us more about it? Over at @ATTU-verseCare, I know they would want to hear your story. We can’t fix what we don’t know about.

If you don’t want to talk about it here, can you shoot them a message by clicking here?

Being honest, I don’t know if we will have an option to buy an unlocked device that can be updated from Samsung. That’s good feedback though, so I’ll pass it along.

I dealt with MANY people from AT&T and Bernie, a social media manager. I got called a liar by one of the reps and that was the final straw. I tried to explain to them once I decided to cancel my transition that they need to get it figured out why their system is telling them there is DSL service at my home. There is no, nor has there been, any DSL service in this home as long as I've lived here (10 years). I went nearly a week without internet, spent so many hours trying to fix an issue that I should NEVER have to deal with. I went above and beyond with my portion. Not to mention, being told multiple times by multiple managers the deal I was trying to get was not something they offered even though I had placed an order, had it cancelled and then placed another order while on the phone with one of the managers. Many times I was told "Oh yes, I will call you in an hour while the order processes" then I would never get an email.  I never got a single cancellation email either through the whole proccess. It was a nightmare, I've literally been scared off from ever trying to sign up for something from AT&T over the internet.

As for Marshmallow, Samsung released it to the carriers early Febuary. It's been three months since it was made official, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular all have it rolled out to MULTIPLE older Samsung phones (Heck, US Cellular has it on the Note 4 and S5!) The failed excuse of "We want to make sure it's fully tested for our users" isn't cutting it. When a "smaller" carrier like U.S. Cellular beats you to the punch? Yeah, something is wrong.

I'm getting to the point where it's not worth our discount to continue to have service with AT&T. Not only do I constantly have signal problems but paired with dragging their feet on updates and not enabling features (WiFi calling, why isn't it a thing with AT&T yet?!). While most of these things may seem minor, but when all of these things add up why should anyone pick AT&T?

I hope you don't think I'm saying this to be rude, I'm being completely honest in hopes maybe someone will listen. Other carriers have been pushing boundaries while it feels like AT&T is just coasting by. It's time to stop being complacent, get up and grab the cellular world by the horns and push those boundaries. That's what T-Mobile did and people joined them in droves.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

@ATTKevin

I think it's great your willing to read comments, reach out and help. You should know any response I've seen from AT&T regarding this issue has been a generic and vague response. I know the forums are for users to help other users, and it's a godsend,... especially with users like Glimmer. These threads have been circulating around MM updates for some time now. It has been much more common for AT&T to delete comments from users rather than providing any assistance of their own. These deleted comments admittedly violate the TOS. However, after so much time I can only assume you or someone above you has seen this snowball and are now working on damage control. I've been with AT&T since my first phone (13 years ago), and I've stayed mostly because I've been grandfathered in with my unlimited data, but I don't understand why I have to sideload a stable MM OS and still be among the last groups of people to get it. I, like most, just want transparency. If it's AT&T apps causing the delay of MM on Samsung devices,... I think I stand with most people in saying, "We don't want your apps anyways." My contract ends next year. Whether I stay with AT&T or not will depend on how I feel the carrier treats me with their service. Now that I have sideloaded a stable of MM on my S6 edge, I guess I'll wait and see how AT&T handles the Android "N" update for my device.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi, I have a galaxy S6 and I haven't got the marshmallow update yet and I was wondering why my phone says up to date when it is still the lollipop.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

My M8 update failed multiple times.  HTC wasn't able to assist.  Who do you recommend I talk to at AT&T to help?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I saw some forums which mentions that the MM update has added bloatware. Is there anyway I can stop the update being pushed through to MY DEVICE? I don't want the MM update.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

4 years ago

@rabi347 wrote:
I saw some forums which mentions that the MM update has added bloatware. Is there anyway I can stop the update being pushed through to MY DEVICE? I don't want the MM update.

Nope after you tell it not to install 3 times it will force update.  There is no more bloat than you have now with the MM update.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

4 years ago

You just need to wait for the update to be pushed to your your device.  They don't push the update to all the phones at once, or it will bog down the servers.  You should be getting it soon though.

smcphee723

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

OK, so I tried to update my M8 once again after wiping the partition cache as instructed by support. Update downloaded, unzipped and failed immediately when trying to install. Got a bootloader type screen that said E:find no match partition, and then installation aborted, cannot map file. Any ideas anyone?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Someone found the MM 6.0.1 ATT download link for Note 5 yesterday and posted it to XDA forums. Many folks over there, including myself, installed it last night. It feels awkward that we need to resort to circumnavigating ATT's reluctance to release MM for flagship Samsung phones and side load the new version onto our phones ourselves.

-Sent from my ATT Note 5 running Marshmallow 6.0.1
mvierling

Scholar

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

@tommyriley wrote:
Someone found the MM 6.0.1 ATT download link for Note 5 yesterday and posted it to XDA forums. Many folks over there, including myself, installed it last night. It feels awkward that we need to resort to circumnavigating ATT's reluctance to release MM for flagship Samsung phones and side load the new version onto our phones ourselves.

-Sent from my ATT Note 5 running Marshmallow 6.0.1

Some of us have already done the same thing with the S6 Active.

Get started...

Ask a new question