Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
R

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Aug 9, 2021 8:11 PM

LG Velvet 5G does not receive Android updates outside of AT&T coverage

A friend gave me an LG Velvet 5G phone. The phone works perfectly but it has not received any update since December 2020 that sent it to me. By now it should be on Android 11 and have received several patches but still do not receive them.

I have read a lot and it seems that it has been imposed by AT&T and not by LG. LG tells me that it should receive them without problems for that model, but that AT&T probably has special conditions to release the updates.

If so. It doesn't seem fair to me.

I am in Central America, please, we need to receive our updates.

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

100.3K Messages

1年前

There is nothing you can do, this is true for all of AT&T branded Android phones. AT&T Android phones only update when inside the United States and connected to AT&T with their SIM card and paid service. 

Not that LG is good about delivering updates anyway, especially now that they are out of the mobile phone business.

• 

2 Messages

1年前

It will be the first and last time I want to hear from AT&T.

I have had several phones from different brands and network agencies like this, with the exception of AT&T and I have never had such a problem!

LG, Huawei, Sony, Moto, Samsung ... and only with AT&T this problem. They are a total disappointment. They have stolen what belongs to us. The Android 11 and 12 of our devices are not from AT&T.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.9K Messages

1年前

Okay, then.  Part of life when buying a carrier-branded phone is being dependent on the carrier rules for their updates.  Of course, buying non-branded phones has its own set of issues.

joeldf

ACE - Guru

• 

785 Messages

1年前

It will be the first and last time I want to hear from AT&T.

I have had several phones from different brands and network agencies like this, with the exception of AT&T and I have never had such a problem!

LG, Huawei, Sony, Moto, Samsung ... and only with AT&T this problem. They are a total disappointment. They have stolen what belongs to us. The Android 11 and 12 of our devices are not from AT&T.

@rcascoherrera , Well, it is an AT&T branded phone, meant to be used on their network, outside of the country that AT&T operates in.  Why would you expect them to care?

Next time, don't use an AT&T phone if you aren't on AT&T.  Unlocked or otherwise won't matter.

I don't know much about LG phones, but you may be able to flash the firmware yourself.  Look up the forums about it on XDA Developers or Android Central.  Someone there should know where to start... if it's possible.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.