For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
mpuchalek's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, July 15th, 2011 1:42 PM

LG Phoenix Screen Lock Timer Issue

I just received my new LG Phoenix yesterday and although I am new to the Android OS, I am liking it...

The issue I am having: No matter what time I set for the Screen Lock timer under Settings->Location and security->Screen lock timer, the phone always locks the screen after the default of 30 seconds or so. I have timed it and shortly after the screen goes dark, the screen is locked. Am I missing a setting somewhere that enables the Screen Lock timer?

EDIT #1: The Screen Lock time seems to track with the Screen Timeout. If the screen goes dark before the Screen Lock time has been reached, the screen locks within seconds. If the Screen Lock time is reached before the screen goes dark, the screen locks at the correct Screen Lock time. One shouldn't control the other, right?

EDIT#2: I stand corrected...The screen does not lock AT ALL if the screen has not gone dark. Now we're talking bug...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

For example, my phone is set to timeout (turn screen off) after 2 minutes of inactivity. When I press the power to turn the screen back on I am presented with the default lock screen. I can then slide to unlock it. For added security, I have also set up a screen lock whether it is a pattern, password or pin code. There is is setting is in screen lock to set how long before I want to enable the screen lock. Mine is currently set at five minutes after screen timeout. So within this five minutes window, I am still presented with the slide to unlock screen, but I can unlock the phone without using my screen lock code.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

"EDIT#2: I stand corrected...The screen does not lock AT ALL if the screen has not gone dark. Now we're talking bug..."

This is normal with Android phones. The screen has to turn off before the phone will lock.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for answering. So there are two timer values that can be set, but only the Screen Timeout matters? If I set the Screen Timeout to 10 minutes and the Screen Lock timer to 3 minutes, the screen doesn't lock for 10 minutes. Doesn't make any sense. Also, if I reverse it, set the Screen Lock timer for 10 minutes and the Screen Timeout for 3 minutes, the phone locks at just after the 3 minute mark, NOT what I wanted...

Having two timers, one security related and one power saver related, implies I can tailor screen control by the timers being separate in function from each other. Preferably, I want to save as much battery as possible by setting the Screen Timeout to a low value, but set the Screen Lock timer to a larger value so I don't have to unlock the screen every time the screen goes dark, right?

I do understand the screen going dark if I manually lock it or if it locks per the Screen Lock timer value, but not the other way around, the screen shouldn't lock just because it went dark.

It may be the current normal behavior, but it's incorrect.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

OK, I stand corrected. This was a case of RTFM. The Screen Lock timer is to enable how long before a PIN, Password or Pattern is required to unlock the screen for additional security, hence under the Security section of settings. Your most recent (and patient) explanation made me read the manual more carefully and together they gave me what I needed to understand.

Many thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.