Troubleshoot your device issues
snowplease's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Jun 8, 2017 7:17 PM

LG G5 not staying connected to 4g-lte

I have a new LG G5, under android 7 am having an unusual connectivity issue.  I will be connected to 4g-lte, sitting in a place with fine 4g-lte service, and at some point, the connection drops down to "H" and pretty much stays there indefinitely, until I do one of the following:

1) Restart the phone, or

2) Go into and back out of airplane mode, or

3) Go into settings>Networks>More>Mobile Networks>System Select>Network operators> (and there either "select automatically" or search networks and specify the at&t lte rat).

That pretty much always puts me back on 4g-lte for a while, sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes a few hours, I can't detect any pattern.

I've taken it in once to an AT&T store, and we replaced to a new sim card, and they played with some Access Point settings, but didn't make a difference.

The phone is new to me, and I upgraded to Android 7 first thing, so I don't know if it was happening under Android 6.  I have seen one user with the same phone who says it happened only after upgrading to Android 7.

Note also that this is a non-AT&T version of the LG G5, but is one with compatible bands, that is not the issue.  (This is the RS988 version, the LG factory unlocked version, not the H820 AT&T version.)

I'm hoping to not need to go down the whole factory reset path, but am running out of options to try!  Any thoughts?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 5 y

I'm having a similar issue where all of a sudden the LTE will download but not upload, or else the upload is so unreliable as not to work.  When this happens a speed test shows 0 Mbps on the upload, emails will not send, anything that involves an HTTP POST (an upload method) will not work, and even pages like Amazon and Lowes.com will not render. Though, a speed test does show normal download speeds and simple websites that aren't doing a POST or heavy javascript seem to load fine.

I'm on an unlocked LG G5 H830 (T-mobile) running Nougaut and the latest T-mobile stock Android.  I'm utilizing AT&T's LTE via Cricket Wireless.

If I toggle the Network Mode to "GSM/WCDMA auto" and then back to "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" then the LTE uploading seems to start working again.  That setting is located under Settings -> Networks -> Mobile Data -> Mobile Networks (under the ... in the top right corner) -> Network Mode on the H830.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 y

So is anybody at&t gonna answer this question? How do we fix this?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 y

*Exact* same problem (to every detail) as reported by snowplease.  Anyone else crack this caper?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 5 y

I've figured out how to manually work around it, but not fix the issue.

You can go to Mobile Data and just leave the data on "GSM/WCDMA auto" and it seems to work, you just don't have LTE speed. For people on Cricket it's not that much of a difference because it's about 4Mbps vs 8Mbps with Cricket's throttled LTE speed.

Otherwise, if you toggle from LTE to "GSM/WCDMA auto" and then load/refresh a webpage, and then switch back to "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" then LTE will start working again for some period of time.

I'm trying to pay attention to the frequency bands when it happens but so far haven't had enough instances to see a pattern.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 5 y

Okay, back again with one slight clue.  Basically I'm still in the same situation as described.

But last week, I was on a business trip to Los Angeles.  There, I did *NOT* have the problem.  It got on 4G-LTE, stayed on 4G-LTE.  When a phone call came in, it went to H (as it should), and then when the phone call was done, it went back to 4G-LTE --- all as it should!  This was happening while driving all over the place in the greater LA area (from Palmdale to Irvine to Burbank).  Then, once I came back to Portland, it all returned to the same problem: starts in 4G-LTE, then after some time (sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 15 hours) it drops to H until I manually "force" it back to 4G-LTE and the cycle starts all over.

So, trying to figure out what this tells us.  I am not real knowledgable about this stuff, but some possibilities that come to my mind are:

1) it could be something at AT&T's end whereby their towers are programmed a little differently in LA than in Portland...?

2) it could be a hardware/software problem at the phone's end with certain LTE bands that are used in Portland but not LA?

3) other???

I guess this doesn't give me any more idea whether it is worth my while (hassle) to return the phone under warranty...

Sure wish a knowledgable person from AT&T would join in on this problem...

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 5 y

I have a RS988 with the same problems, drops LTE and won't reconnect no matter what signal strength is in the area.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 y

I have the same issue in Seattle/Spokane areas. Almost always in H state, but can force to 4G-LTE state via the manual step of performing automatic registration. Would love some AT&T comment on this!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

Same issue here. For me it stayed in LTE fine until Nougat update, then it started losing LTE. I can bring it back by toggling airplane mode on and off.

Any chance anyone anywhere knows a fix.

Beuhler? Beuhler? Beuhler? 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 4 y

So, believe it or not the problem is the update "broke" the reception of one of ATT's most common LTE bands. Depending where you are, if that band is the closest tower, you can no longer receive that signal. So what is happening is that , after toggling off airplane mode, it "sees" a weaker , further away LTE tower, switches to it temp. but decides that a stronger non LTE tower is abetter choice and then goes to that. It stays on that unless your out and run across another LTE tower it can switch to. But since the main frequency is no longer available you only get spotty service as most towers aren't recognized.  There are several LTE antenna apps that will confirm this. My fix was to switch to a Verizon   MVNO carrier. Good luck

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 4 y

I'm only aware of a work-around, which is to not use LTE mode. See above if you're interested.  It saves you from having to toggle but you're on a slower connection. With Cricket the connection isn't that fast anyway so LTE isn't critical for my usage.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

My husband and I  bought equal LG G5, his remains in 4G mine goes to H after a while. The only difference is that I have Google Now Launcher, he has the original, could this be the cause?

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.