The Samsung Galaxy S24
dinosaur1's profile

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 2:54 AM

iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:
Whats the easiest way to test my current at&t hspa+ speeds?

I already answered that questions a long time ago.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:
Pinged at 153 ms
4G gives me 8.89 down, 1.22

I heard that the Nexus 4 will not give me true 4G speeds though.

That's really good for HSPA+.  Most I've seen on the HSP+ network around me is around 6 Mbps, and as low as 1 Mbps.  But I know some areas get as good as 10 Mbps.

8 Mbps is fine for darned near anything.

Nexus 4 won't give you LTE, but if you don't have LTE in your area, that doesn't matter anyway.  Nexus 4 should give you the same speeds you are seeing now.  The speed is almost always capped by the network, not the hardware.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

What about the backside on the Nexus 4 which can shatter easily?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:
What about the backside on the Nexus 4 which can shatter easily?

The back is glass, just like the iPhone 4/4S.  Did you break that?  If you're concerned about it, buy a case.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Sounds good. Thanks for all your help. I'll be in touch!

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
No, I do not have any experience with the Nexus lineup. I still would think there would be some noticeable lag...I mean, it's the same OS...

I suggest trying a phone loaded with Jellybean (Android 4.1). There is no lag.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Will the Nexus 4 work with Straight Talk?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, with either the T-Mobile compatible or AT&T compatible SIM card.  If you do Straight Talk, I would recommend the T-Mobile compatible SIM card, so that you can access the HSPA+ 42 network.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Long time Android and iOS user here...just a couple things

1. I have no Idea what the previous poster is talking about regarding lag and android, I've never experienced this on any of my android phones and I've owned 10 different ones so far. I always buy high end models, so maybe it's only an issue with low end devices.

2. If you have an unlimited LTE plan you will also be able to use unlimited HSPA+, which in my opinion is also very fast.

3. Droid is not a nickname for Android, it's a trademark name that Verizon uses for it's Android devices. Referring to non Verizon Android devices by Droid is incorrect, and a major pet peeve. I know it's silly....

4. Nexus 4 is not marketed as an iPhone competitor, but they are in the same class none the less. I personally don't like Nexus devices as they run a stripped down stock version of Android that is missing many features that you ultimately have to install 3rd party apps for. I'll take a Sense or TouchWiz based Android device over stock Android any day. I'd be considering the S3 instead...or if you like LG then their Optimus G phone is essentially the Nexus 4 with LTE.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@kgbkny wrote:

@Wild Banchi wrote:
No, I do not have any experience with the Nexus lineup. I still would think there would be some noticeable lag...I mean, it's the same OS...

I suggest trying a phone loaded with Jellybean (Android 4.1). There is no lag.

My Captivate is running 2.3 Gingerbread, so I'm sure the Android OS has gotten much faster since then. It's just a consistent thing I've noticed when I used the phone every day, as well as newer Motorola Droid line phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.