Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Jun 2, 2011 1:31 PM

INSPIRE default email app won't work with Gmail

When I got the phone I set up my 2 accounts, no problem.

But a week ago it started telling me it can't authenticate my accounts because the password is wrong. The password is NOT wrong, I even tried changing it at gmail.com and my phone STILL gives that error. So now I don't get email anymore, and the gmail app itself apparently doesn't notify you when you get new emails, so I don't want to use that.

What is the point of a smartphone if I can't get my email???

Anyone else have this problem?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Ann154

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

Are you using the "gmail" app or the "email" application? For access to your gmail address emails you should use the gmail application only. Do you have the background sync on? Homescreen > menu > settings > account & sync > background data & auto-sync on. Check the Google account and verify that the sync is on for the email portion.

In the gmail app, press the menu button > more > settings > scroll down to email notifications and verify that they are checked on. The gmail will push to the phone as opposed to the schedule sync with the email application.

I have never had a problem with the gmail application not notifying me of new email.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
satchev

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

Try deleting and re-adding the account on the device.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I have, repeatedly. 😞

Same problem.

Can you remove and reinstall the default mail app maybe?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

rebooting the phone didn't help either, just tried that.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

thank you, I did get my gmail app to work, I just did away with the phone's default email app. thanks again guys!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Might want to try K9 mail from the market it's a great mail app for multiple accounts and has a nice quiet time feature so your emails don't wake you up at 2am.

sitnsidewayz

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

9 years ago

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to use Gmail through the stock email app. I have my Comcast, Yahoo, and Gmail emails setup through the stock app and all works well.