Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
nanao56's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Dec 12, 2013 9:42 PM

In A Mess!

Boy, I'm hoping someone can advice on what to do next.

I received the 4.3 update over-the-air to my Galaxy S3 SGH-i747 a couple of weeks back. However the battery performance was terrible. I tried the reset to factory and still found the battery performance to be pretty bad.

In my haste to fix it, I tried to flash to a different ROM (CM) and that resulted in a weird state because looks like the 4.3 update introduces KNOX which doesn't allow for an easy unlock/unroot.

So, I'm stuck back on running the stock version but the problem I've got is that everytime I restart my phone, it says Updating Android and installs a bunch of things.

Any advice? At this point, I just want to go back to the original factory stock locked installed. The Device status on the phone shows custom. Not sure why..

Is there a way to have the OTA update reimage the whole phone? Or force a reimage? Looks like Kies doesn't support it on the AT&T S3 version.

Responses

redpoint73

Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

You can't go backwards via OTA, if that is what you are asking.

If you find and delete the OTA file, it should stop the phone from trying to install it every time you start the phone (although you will still get prompts to download the OTA again).

Also, its too late for this, but if your intent/desire is to be able to root and mod the phone, you shouldn't ever install an OTA unless you do thorough research on what the update will do.  In general, I don't recommend OTA on any Android device that is rooted/modded (or if you intend to do so in the future).

EWynett

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

Bottom line: why root a perfectly good phone that works! And why perform an update which is known for its problems? Maybe I'm different, but if it's not broke, don't "fix" it.
Jeeeeze.
redpoint73

Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

@EWynett wrote:
Bottom line: why root a perfectly good phone that works! And why perform an update which is known for its problems? Maybe I'm different, but if it's not broke, don't "fix" it.
Jeeeeze.

In reading the OP, it sounds like he rooted in order to try to solve his battery issue.  

I stand by my previous remark that OTA should not be applied if you intend to root the phone.  But its not clear whether the chicken or the egg came first in this case.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

@EWynett wrote:
Jeeeeze.

EWynett : As I mentioned in my original post, I experienced poor performance after getting the 4.3 update. You are right the phone is a good phone, however you missed my point; it was "Broken" for me because I wasn't used to getting poor battery performance on a phone that has been reliable.

I take it you are not experiencing the same problems?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

The q

@redpoint73 wrote:

In reading the OP, it sounds like he rooted in order to try to solve his battery issue.  

I stand by my previous remark that OTA should not be applied if you intend to root the phone.  But its not clear whether the chicken or the egg came first in this case.

Here are the facts; the OTA came down unto my phone. I tried to fixed it by rooting and now am in a weird state. 

My original question was how do I reapply the OTA? I think the answer is I need to use Odin and flash back to a previous stock version.

redpoint73

Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

Yes, you will need to return to stock, as OTA requires stock recovery to install.

Get started...

Ask a new question