Troubleshoot your device issues
Rockinrog's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Sep 4, 2015 1:55 PM

HTC M8 Factory Reset & Tap & Go Messy!

Hi, my AT&T HTC is not doing the Lollipop Tap & Go restore like my other Samsung Tab S,  Verizon M8, Razr HD does. 

What my other devices had was a selection at one prompt that allows me to restore apps etc, from one of those devices such as this link shows 

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/19/android-5-0-tap-go-restores-your-phone-in-minutes/

What the AT&T device does is cripples this awesome feature with the proprietary at&t tap and go that at one point directs the user to download a qr scanner which lol won't let me download because I'm in Canada. 

When i do struggle through this i can at least do the contact sms restore using the htc nfc app. The other way allows the user to restore all play store apps and the data such as game saves which is phenomenal. 

This is my 8th attempt to factory reset to try to get that important prompt and it appears that AT&T removed this in the loader.... Unreal. 

Frustrated in Canada on the Rogers network. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

7年前

mine worked fine.  I will say that using a us carrier branded phone on a foreign carrier never works really well.  But you could just load rogers firmware on the phone and change the cid.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7年前

So you get to the prompt where you can select restore from other devices? If I chose skip atat tap and go I get a google user and password prompt like the one in the videos... Then another atat prompt kicks in which is irrelevant then my home screen with nothing other than stock and my gmail.  

Is your suggestion for Rogers cid etc a root process? I'll google this otherwise but I'll try something.  Thanks a lot for the response btw. 

I'll say this,  the Verizon unlocked M8 worked good for the tap and go but didn't play nice on the Rogers Network with the proper APN.  This AT&T M8 works flawless for Network handshake and signal strength. This I'm very happy with... Then again Rogers and AT&T have identical bands in fact I live on the border and I do roam with AT&T on all my Rogers devices. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

7年前

my suggestion is read the boards for the m8 and you can change the rom and cid and yes you need root.

htcdev.com is your friend with a HTC phone.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7年前

Well I'm on my way as fast as a turtle after an incident that saw my 480gig Seagate backup drive deleted. How that happened I'm still stunned. Regardless this process is slow and with LOTS of reading no doubt. Also if anyone is on metered internet get ready for gigs of usage such as the over 1 gig download of Android Studio with which I downloaded twice after the drive deleted. I'm going to say I'm up to 3 gigs of usage at this point.
At this point I'm at unlocked on the boot loader after doing the HTC Dev thing and I've installed Twrp...
That's a feat that I'm pretty proud of after two evenings of testing Thank You Very Much.
I'm reading up on sunshine or S-off and still have to grasp the cid then decide on stock Rogers Rom or the many others.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7年前

OK, in finished. I've s-off'd the phone and installed a custom ROM . Skydragon is what I've loaded which has Sense7, it's fast and smooth with the apps I want only. Also I now had the opportunity to load from a previous device backup from Google. There was a learning curve yes and in addition I'm rooted so making backups using titanium on schedules is working.

Thanks for the push off that started me down this path, your never too be forgotten...regards from Canada..
redpoint73

Professor

• 

3K Messages

7年前

@Rockinrog wrote:
OK, in finished. I've s-off'd the phone and installed a custom ROM . Skydragon is what I've loaded which has Sense7, it's fast and smooth with the apps I want only.

Day(s) late and a dollar short, but I was going to say you don't need s-off, and just need a non-ATT based ROM.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

7年前

I think he s-offed to get a cid change.  I super cid all my htc phones.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.