The Samsung Galaxy S24
SEANCON's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 8:40 PM

HTC M8 Agent IQ Battery Drain?

Ever since the update i have been getting the Dish icon (like GPS) appearing consistently for 10-20 minutes at a time in a given hour.  The battery drain since the update is horrible.  Go to work, look at my phone 2 hours in and its at 50% battery.  Go into manage apps and see Agent IQ under android services. says its running for over 24 hours? when i try to stop the app.  It stops for about 3-5 minutes and then is initiated again.  I have no GPS on , no auto update apps....what the heck.... tried the hard reboot after stopping the program and nothing....this is getting to be ridiculous.  Any one else having the issue? i see it in other forums about the ATT update/Agent IQ issue but nothing here in the community....weird

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@IQCarrierHTC wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76, you seem to be in love with AT&T and their very broad TOS. I know that they use my location data to monitor their network. But when I turn off my GPS on my own phone, it should stay off. If I leave it on for whatever reason, sure. What would be the point of having the option to turn off GPS when it can activate itself to high accuracy mode even in airplane mode? And sure, they can put the clause in their TOS. But it should also be bolded and CLEARLY stated as to what it means. For example, "Purchasing of the HTC One M8 from AT&T will come with GPS permanently on at the expense of battery life to the user." The TOS are for every phone, regardless of whether it has IQ Carrier. It should be AT&T's responsibilty to notify consumers which phones have this spyware called IQ Agent installed. And I will continue to notify @ATTMobilityCare because they should respond to their customers. 

Also, AT&T claims the IQ Agent is not their app and that it is a third party app. I have been told this countless times. So, according to their TOS:

Your Device is also capable of using optional Content at your request or the request of a user on your account, offered by AT&T or third parties that make use of a Device's location information ("Location-Based Services"). Please review the terms and conditions and the associated privacy policy for each Location-Based Service to learn how the location information will be used and protected. For more information on Location-Based Services, please visit att.com/privacy.

not in love with ATT but I do use there service and read the TOS when we signed up.

As I have stated more than once the wifes m8 does not have this problem.  To check I used my old m8 for a day just to see since I have poor service due to building construction here at work.  I have not seen this problem and the phone goes in and out of LTE all day long.  

As I did state tho all our m8's were updated with the RUU on htc.com and not OTA.  

While I dont agree with carrier IQ and it needs to  be removed.  I would goto facebook or talk the FCC to get the attention of the Higher ups.

Teacher

• 

32 Messages

9 years ago

I understand AT&T has always been in the business of selling subsidised phones, meaning the customer only pays $200-$300 for the device and the customer agrees to be locked into a 2 years contract. But, I am paying full price for my phone and I should have complete control over it. If I turn off GPS so that my phone lasts longer, I expect it to stay off and not come back on for every incoming or outgoing use of the phone's radio. With all the lawsuits going around over Carrier IQ, I can't even believe they continue to add it to their device's software loadouts.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

quite simply your tos agreement babble is just Blah blah blah. We all understand that the agreement is a cya document that broadly covers the company. If this was an At&t thing with every user on every phone I would think all of At&t was a company second to Satan..but it's not. It is a segmented issue that is impacting one particular devise. I think the majority of us just want to know the company is aware and is working on something to fix the issue. I don't care if they are tracking my location, my service, etc....my life isn't that interesting...what I care about is being able to use my phone without losing battery in 4 hours. There is an issue....The company is avoiding the concerns...the thread has become a match between upset people looking for resolution and top commenters that just like to point out the obvious.At&t went aD far as giving one person an HTC m9 and a $100 credit so they do recognize there are some issues. If you have nothing to add to resolve the frustration of the user...why bother to comment at all.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

Exactly. And the more people that view and respond to this thread (and call AT&T), the better the chance that AT&T will actually do something. Still waiting for a response @ATTMobilityCare. :crickets:

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

Did AT&T send an update?  My GPS has stopped flashing and the battery life has improved substantially.  

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

The Android system Google play update stopped the constant flashing for me but I noticed it still flashes until you attempt to go in and force stop the task...then it disappears. Another weird thing is that now Android system is no longer showing as a process to kill the task.....iq agent is hidden in system files and not accessible but can still see the gps icon flashing albeit less than before I allowed Google play to update.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

google play services is what your seeing with that little flash of gps.  My s6 is doing it when google is geo caching.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

This issue has subsided for me as well. Everything went back to normal after the 55.18 MB Android System WebView update. IQ Agent is still having a ball and running all day, but the GPS is no longer on the entire day. My battery life improved at least four fold and the phone is useable again. I wonder if @ATTMobilityCare will ever update us on the resolution of this issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

I am sure it was a google issue as there were reports of webview causing issues along with google play services.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

It was only happening on the AT&T M8s per android forums and Reddit, along with this thread. Stopping IQ Agent prevented the GPS from activating. I would not be surprised if an unofficial update was released through google via webview update. I don't care because my phone finally works normally now, but I am also not buying that AT&T's IQ Agent had nothing to do with the problem. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.