For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
G

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, January 9th, 2020 2:49 PM

How to update Android or unlock a phone in Europe?

Hello, Some time ago I purchased a phone online, but it turned out to have AT&T branding; it was brand new. Even though I live in Europe, this didn't bother me too much because the phone worked fine with my local carrier's SIM card. However, recently I realised the I still have Android 7, and I would like to update it to a newer version. How can I do that? I read that I must have an AT&T SIM card and connect to your network, but that, of course, is impossible for me to do. Another solution seems to be unlocking the phone. I tried to do it here - https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1 - and indicated that I am not an AT&T customer, but I still get asked to "enter a valid 10-digit AT&T wireless number with area code first" on the second page. I would be very grateful if you could help me find a solution to this problem.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

If the phone is working fine with your local SIM card it is already unlocked. The phone cannot update outside of the United States. The only way to connect to AT&T to receive an update is to be in the United States using an AT&T SIM card for service. ( FYI if you indeed had filled in the bubble saying you were not a customer it would not have asked you for an AT&T phone number)

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

go in the portal and choose non customer

• 

2 Messages

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately, that does not seem to work. Here is what I tried to do: 1)I opened https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1; 2)Answered "No" to "Are you an AT&T wireless customer?"; 3)Entered my IMEI number and checked the "Yes, I've read the legal stuff and agree to the device unlock eligibility requirements" box (although it didn't say anything about situations like mine) and pressed next; 4)On the next page I entered my name, phone number, and e-mail address, however, I could not proceed further because I need to "Enter a valid 10-digit AT&T wireless number with area code first" (errorCode.ULF_0002). My European Tele2 number with (and without) the country code was not accepted.

Employee

• 

797 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

All requests go through www.att.com/deviceunlock, however if you’re outside the U.S., you might try reaching out to here:

How do I contact AT&T International Customer Care while traveling abroad? For questions while roaming outside the U.S., contact AT&T by calling +1.314. 925.6925, a free call from your AT&T wireless phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.”

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.