Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
c2oncpr's profile
c2oncpr
#1 Star!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thu, May 17, 2012 3:08 PM

How to disable Att Wifi auto connect on HTC Vivid

Does anyone know how to disable the auto-connect functionality that seems to be specially coded for AttWifi hotspots.  On my device, if wifi is enabled and my device sees any AttWifi hotspot, it will auto connect, no questions asked.  When in range or out of range, the AttWifi network will be listed with no "Forget" option.  No way to remove, no way to forget. 

The Att Smart Wifi app may offer some control over this behavior, but that app is not supported on the HTC Vivid.

ATT, have you coded to this behavior????

Responses

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

@HoggyDog wrote:

Our first month with AT&T on a pair of Galaxy S4's, we overran our data allowance. This got me into checking data usage carefully to identify the culprits. Guess what? AT&T Smart Wifi is the number one cellular-data user this month!

Apparently, AT&T Smart Wifi needs two data-consuming things to work: your exact location (GPS) which forces continual Maps downloads over the cellular data network, and a continuous location-driven download of nearby AT&T Hotspot locations! Astoundingly, the phones do this EVEN WITH MOBILE DATA TURNED OFF TO PREVENT USING DATA ALLOWANCES!!!!! So the app that is supposed to be SAVING me from using my cell data allowance is actually burning it up!

After reading this and several other forums, I have disabled both AT&T Wifi and AT&T Hotspots, I wish I could uninstall them (without rooting my phone), but I guess the data overages that these apps generate give AT&T too much of a $$ incentive for them to allow mere customers to remove this bloatware.

Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to ignorance.

(also, see my reply above on how to fix the issue)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

OK guys... I've been there: absolutely livid about a decision that a company made because I'm not happy with it. Sometimes poor judgment, service or quality. Sometimes just an attempt at saving themselves money, time or other resources. And plant of times I complained and wondered why the company did nothing.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

But let's think about this from ATT's perspective...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break as me saying 'post it'. So AT&T sees an opportunity to both save money and make cash.... The next thing they do is talk about how much it will cost them (I'm terms of lost customers, bad rep, etc.) to do whatever it is they are thinking about. Next they consider how much more hey will save or make. Now there can be plenty of argument over all of this and they may end up going with an invalid calculation but at the end of day it's a simple math problem: do what makes more money. A million happy customers is no good if you're not making money. A hundred customers is great if you're making more money than you expected...
redpoint73

Professor

• 

3K Messages

6 years ago

@Daved31415 wrote:
... Forgive me, this forum apparently treats a line break as me saying 'post it'. 

No it doesn't.  You can hit "Enter" all you want on your computer keyboard to create a line break, if that is what you are referring to.  It won't post until you click "Post Reply".

You can also click "post options" and delect Edit to revise your previous posts.

HoggyDog

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

dealmaster00 wrote: "Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to ignorance."

If it were ignorance, the laws of chance would suggest that roughly half of the "missteps" would be in the customers' favor, and only about half would be to the customers' detriment. Sadly, every major cellular provider's change that I have noticed in the past 6-8 years or more has been to the customers' detriment- elimination of unlimited data plans, driving data overages by moving the Mobile Data toggle from the easily accessible home-screen drop-down settings area to a hidden location several menu layers deep in the Settings menus, kicking departing customers in the butt on their way out the door by billing them for an entire month's service when they only might have used 1-2 days of service in that billing period instead of prorating those 2 days the same way they did when the customer joined... the list just goes on and on.

So, while the presumption of ignorance rather than malice is probably a good general rule, in this case we're dealing with a company (actually, at least two similar companies- Verizon is just as bad) with a consistent track record of virtually EVERY change being to the customer's detriment, together with an easily-discernible profit motive, combined with a demonstrated willingness to ride roughshod over customers in the pursuit of one more dime on the quarterly revenue report.

So, sadly, I have to stand by my opinion that the presumption of greed-driven malice is justified with the major phone companies, based on their own track records of indifference, if not hostility, toward customers and their needs.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Once my contract is up with AT&T I will be moving on from it's service, I been with AT&T for 14 years, the wifi auto connect is the last straw, I can't live with this problem and their high bill I pay for it.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

4 years ago

@crivera01

Uninstall or turn off the AT&T smart wifi app on your device.

It is an optional service, that is not activated unless you open the app and agree to terms of service.

The availability of the service is to reduce your cellular data use, you do not pay extra for its use. It is a free option to consuming your data plan.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

i cant get my wifi to work for password or network name 

Get started...

Ask a new question