The Samsung Galaxy S24
struff's profile

Scholar

• 

32 Messages

Tuesday, November 26th, 2013 4:26 PM

Getting frustrated at lack of updates for my AT&T HTC devices

I've been a big fan of HTC since the old 8525 Windows phone many years ago. But every AT&T branded HTC phone I buy seems to always be the only device to not get official updates. My year old One X+ is way behind in Android builds now with no real hopes of getting updated (there are always rumors and speculation but that doesn't mean anything until it actually happens).

HTC tells me it's because of AT&T and AT&T tells me it's because of HTC, which is the same story I've been hearing since my first HTC phone (this One X+ is now my fifth HTC phone from AT&T). 

I am getting really fed up with both AT&T and HTC.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

Both AT&T and HTC probably share the blame.  But I think HTC has to bear most of it.  The company is simply struggling financially, and its just not cost productive to dedicate too many resources to supporting past devices.  Their focus is clearly on the current devices, and developing upcoming ones.

Its really unfortunate, as I've been with HTC almost as long as you (since the Tilt back in WinMo days) and having owned five HTC devices.  We're now lucky if we can get significant updates  on an HTC device that is a year and a half old (like my One X), much less ones that have been around longer than that.  I'd be willing to bet that the Sense 5 Android 4.2.2 update is still coming for the One X and X+ (as promised) but I don't expect any after that.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Its not HTC, it is AT&T who is slow to update. HTC and Samsung for that matter have already started pushing 4.4 to their Google Edition S4 and One. I would suggest you look to purchase something like the Nexus 5 or Google Edition of phones if you want a better experience with fast updates.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@iceman4357 wrote:
Its not HTC, it is AT&T who is slow to update. HTC and Samsung for that matter have already started pushing 4.4 to their Google Edition S4 and One. I would suggest you look to purchase something like the Nexus 5 or Google Edition of phones if you want a better experience with fast updates.

That's right, I've got 4.4 on my S4 GPE a couple of days ago and HTC One GPE had 4.4 update ready even before that. The international versions of HTC One and Galaxy S4 are likely to get upgraded in January. Carrier-branded phones are likely to be the last ones to be updated (if at all).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Att is slow on purpose. ..

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@dmapr wrote:

That's right, I've got 4.4 on my S4 GPE a couple of days ago and HTC One GPE had 4.4 update ready even before that. The international versions of HTC One and Galaxy S4 are likely to get upgraded in January. Carrier-branded phones are likely to be the last ones to be updated (if at all).

Looks like HTC was even faster than I expecetd, unlocked & developer editions of HTC One are getting 4.4 already as well.

https://twitter.com/HTCUSA/status/406487913615335424

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, they're slow and deliberate on purpose. It's not at all easy to bork up a new version of android and add all the AT&T junk apps as well. AT&T excels in all three areas: they're slow, bug-riddled, and loaded with junk. Need proof? Look up Samsung Galaxy SII Sleep of Death as just one example.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@iceman4357 wrote:
Its not HTC, it is AT&T who is slow to update. HTC and Samsung for that matter have already started pushing 4.4 to their Google Edition S4 and One.

Yes and no.  As I've already mentioned, HTC has been updating their current flagship (One) in a pretty timely fashion.  But the Android 4.2 update came slowly for the One X, including some 10+ carriers besides AT&T.  Similar story (if not worse) on any HTC device aside from the One.  Any device but the current flagship fall pretty low on HTC's priority list for updates.  AT&T is part of the problem, but HTC is also to blame.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.