Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Oct 14, 2019 1:47 PM

Galaxy S9+ won't download photo messages while on wifi

When I'm connected to wifi, photo messages will not download.  As soon as I turn the wifi off the photos come through no problem.  I have tried it on several different wifi connections, and it doesn't matter which one I'm connected to (even if it's AT&T wifi).  This is something that started quite recently.  It is very frustrating to have to turn wifi off in order to download photos.

Responses

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

The problem is the ATT messaging app, install google messages and all the problems go away. Had the problem on my S9, S10, Note 10, and my new LG V60.

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

I have the new Galaxy Note 20 and having the same issue. I have 1G (1000mbps) wifi at home and standing directly adjacent to the router(gateway), I still experience the problem. I can neither attach or read/download any large photos sent from my wife (in the house with me) over the same wifi network. Neither of us has wifi calling on, and clearing cache and deleting data makes no difference. We can only send/receive images over AT&T's network (must turn wifi off).

Either  AT&T or Samsung clearly has an issue that needs to be addressed. 

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I have the same issue with my Note 10+. Wifi calling is turned off.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 months ago

As someone else mentioned, Google-Messages does a MUCH better job (particularly cross-carrier) at this, with "Chat Features" enabled.

The stock messaging app (Samsung's with so-called "Advanced Messaging"), isn't quite a refined, IMHO/IME, it often fails over WiFi, and with other "Advanced" features.

The Google Messaging app, while less "fancy", just-works, with Chat Features enabled, regardless of data-connection (i.e. mobile, WiFi, etc).

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Same problem and recommended solution does not work. I am on the new Galaxy Note 20, directly next to my 1000mbps router (gateway), and still cannot receive messages. From what I gathered this issue occurs across all platforms (providers) so my assumption is the problem is a Samsung issue. 

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I have an S20 and found that if you toggle off advanced messaging then pictures come in. You can toggle it back on and they should still work for some time. 

• 

1 Message

a month ago

This is still an issue.  Random text messages do not come through until I disconnect from WiFi.  Once I do the text comes through just fine.  Been happening for about a month now.  I am on a galaxy S9.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

Like any others I could not get picture messages while connected to wifi.  Clearing message data and cache did not help.  Finally started working when I turned off Advanced Messaging on my Samsung A51 5G.  It had been working fine until my phone did a software update last night.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

Another update:  Once again my phone is not downloading picture messages while I am connected to wifi even though I have Advanced Messaging turned off.  This new phone worked great for a week but the messaging system is broke after the software update was done last night.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

It's important to note that I only had issues downloading MMS over wifi from another AT&T user when I was on wifi. I had no issues sending the AT&T user MMS and them receiving them nor did I experience any issues when doing the same thing with other people that had service through different carriers. I believe that there is a fix for this issue without having to delete your messaging data and cache. If you don't want to here the back story then simply complete the wifi calling setup since some of us may have cancelled midway through the setup because we didn't want to use that feature.

That being said, I read someone where in a forum that a user was able to restore the ability to download MMS over wifi by finishing the wifi calling setup. What got my attention was they mentioned that they cancelled the wifi calling setup midway through and I thought that just sounded ridiculous because I too cancelled the wifi calling midway through recently after it tried to automatically set itself up. I've been on Android 10 for a while without any type of MMS downloading issues over wifi and now I have issues so I figured it wouldn't hurt to finish the wifi calling setup and then manually turn it off as the other AT&T user did.

At first it didn't work and I noticed that wifi calling turned itself back on as I was attempting to download a MMS but I turned it off while the download was underway leaving only wifi enabled and resent the MMS with a successful download over wifi. I wasn't satisfied with one successful download so sent another 4 MMS just to make sure that it wasn't just a coincidence.

If that doesn't work then make sure to backup your messages because some users have reported deleting there messaging data and cache to restore normal functionality. Once you do that then restart the phone and hopefully that will work. 

(edited)

• 

1 Message

18 days ago

Sorry to be the "conspiracy theorist" but it would make sense that with more people at home only using wifi during Covid, AT&T is forcing people to have to use mobile data at least for downloading large images. So I dont think a fix will be coming out anytime soon. They are a business and are squeezing their customers however they can! 

Get started...

Ask a new question