Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
Ladyleo65's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Feb 17, 2018 4:33 PM

Galaxy s7 active battery drains fast

Samsung galaxy s7 active. Battery just started draining really fast. Noticed after last update. All cache cleared , no apps running, all play store updates complete. Goes from 100% to 30% in 2 hrs not even on phone not being used. Using manufacture charger

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

I'm experiencing the thing. Even if I set my phone down and not use it. Drained from around 89% to 67% in about 30 minutes of no use. Put all inactive apps to sleep, still drains. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Galaxy S7 active same upgrade same problem.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

I noticed the same issue recently. Has anyone figured a fix? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I had the same problem with my S7 edge. Tweeted Samsung Support about it and spent 2 days trying different fixes and nothing worked. Turned out my battery was swollen, which I didn't discover until I upgraded my phone. If you have a case on your phone, take it off and if the back of the case is coming off (slightly lifted) then you have the same problem, and there is no fix.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

S7 active is an enclosed phone. Can't take the back off. Also it doesn't seem like there is an form of a bulge.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

OK, so I found this on another site and it worked!

The battery isn't actually draining that fast. The problem exists in the battery read out. It's wrong!

To re-calibrate, let the phone run all the way down until it dies. (For me, it sat on 1% for nearly 6 hours of me actively using it!)

Restart the phone. It will briefly start up before dying again.

Plug the phone in and let it charge all the way to 100% while off.

Start the phone.

---this is where the directions on the other site stopped because it worked for the user---

If your battery reads 100%, it should be good to go.

For me, it read 1%. I restarted my phone and everything works perfectly!

Hope this works for everybody like it did me.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 y ago

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active that is about 18 months old.  It is a replacement for my beloved and unable to be kept Note 7.  I received an OTA update for the S7 on 3/13 and applied it the morning (7:00am) of 3/14.  The phone was 100% charged before the update.  After the update the charge went quickly down to 80% and then proceeded to drain throughout the day until it reached about 25% - I was at a conference and did use the phone a fair amount but to drop to 25% in just 8 hours seemed too quick.  At that time (3:20pm) I was leaving my location and going to be in the car for about five hours.  When traveling I frequently use Waze.  I plugged the wire in and the phone beeped to acknowledge charging but then would not charge even though the notification panel said 2 hours until full charge. Since Waze is a battery hog anyway I decided against using Waze and instead used Google Maps on my work phone instead.  About half way through the trip the S7 Active battery was zero and the phone shut off.  After the phone shut off it would not respond at all to either of the chargers or cable that I always keep in my car.  Because I need to use the phone I picked up a Samsung wireless charger today.  On wireless charge the phone has resumed charging very slowly.  After over 6 hours of wireless charging, factoring some limited use, I am at 16%.  Typically this phone reliably charges from nearly depleted to full in about two hours. 

This same OTA update installed a new version of the AT&T Messages app which has changed my messages to appear in bubbles.  The received messages appear in white bubbles with white text and cannot be seen unless you click in the bubble to highlight the text.  The sent messages remain legible but since I mostly know what I sent this is not helpful.  There is no setting to change the text color theme and changing the phone background theme or icon theme does not solve the text color problem.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

My phone applied this update while i was driving home today from work.  That was at aproximately 4:20.  The phone was at 94% when i noticed it was extremely hot after the update.  I unplugged it, and with minimal use i am at 17%.  My message app is garbage now, and i cannot find my battery drain.  Android system is at 32% of the battery use, and the phone has never gone back to cool.  Probably going to go to an ATT store tomorrow to throw a fit, if i now only have 5 hours of battery life with limited use i am going to be furious.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

My Galaxy S7 Active has worked well until this last update.  It is about 18 months old, but I have had it go from 60% to 0% 4 times in the last week in a matter of minutes.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I'm having the same issue.  Last update my phone now goes from 100% to 8% 1 hour after I unplug from charger.  I didn't even use my phone after I removed it from the charger.  No draining apps, put everything to sleep and nothing has worked.  

Rockmower

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

No, my battery really is draining that fast. Went to town the other day, had 87% charge when I left, 2 hours later, it shut it's self off because battery went to zero. Elapsed time was less that 2 hours with nothing being used.

Rockmower

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

MY SUSPICION IS THAT AT&T DID THIS DELIBERATELY TO FORCE US INTO UPGRADING! GREEDY B!@#@%!&$

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

After the latest updates my S7 Edge will not keep a charge. It will drop 20 percent in a matter of minutes. I see tons of complaints about this. Why has this not been fixed?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Having same problem with fast draining on what had been an excellent phone until now.

It's probably because there are only 4 payments left on the phone, right AT&T?

Gonna try Scottyf's cure...

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

I am also having this problem.  Thought I had it fixed with a factory reset and manually re-installing ALL of my apps.  (it seemed to work for couple of days, but is now just as bad).  This morning, I have been up for less than 1 hour and my battery is already down to 91% with little to no use of the phone.

Battery drain rate is over 10% per hour.  Prior to the Android 8 "upgrade" I would be my drain rate was less that 5% per hour even with moderate use.

SOMETHING HAPPENED AT&T / SAMSUNG.  FIX IT!!!

Here are options I would be willing to accept...  Preferable in this order...

1)  Find the problem, fix it, and push out an update that patches the OS to quit killing our batteries...

2) Inform me how I can get in touch with a service tech and push me back to Android 7.0 Nougat and NEVER push the 8.0 upgrade to this phone again.  I will have to re-install all my apps again and waste another day of my life to get my phone back to where it was.

3) Sell me a new S9+ for $200 to replace my phone.  This is what I would be willing to pay to cover YOUR error in YOUR poorly release OS "update" that has slaughtered the performance of the phone you sold me.

I will be going into my local AT&T store and asking to talk to the manager's manager.  I want this issue escalated until it is resolved.

If you have an S7 / S7 Edge / S7 Active and your phone has been destroyed since the 8.0 update, make some noise.  It is the only way we will be heard.  I see similar posts out there on US Cellular forums and T-Mobile forums as well so clearly this is a well known issue.

I would be willing to work with any AT&T support people to help get this resolved.  Please contact me!

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.