The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Well another SOD. And when I turned the phone back on I lost over 20% of the battery. This is ridiculous.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

My latest chat session with Samsung support:

Mikayla: I've checked the information and I would like to inform you that the next update for your phone would be Jelly bean 4.1.1. This update is not yet released for your phone as of now. Please keep checking link mentioned below to know anytime if this update is available for your phone:

Mikayla: www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00042833&fm_seq=43430

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

@tzenko,
I just went to your link and checked it out. As I was laughing I scrolled to the bottom where it asked, "what did you think". Of course I rated very dissatisfied. Then in the comments explained that there were over 500 posts in this forum with people with the SOD from the 4.0.4 update and to please either roll it back or give us a real update! Everyone should reply to this, maybe Samsung will do something if there are more complaints but I doubt it.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

LoL.

I even asked him for Alphe, Beta or prerelease. I was ready to sign for tester. I dont think it would be worst that 404.

BTW this is the first chat support person who gave me information. Before the answer was "try factory reset, is your battery original, clear your cache" .

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

I just received an email from ATT that said an update will be pushed OTA tomorrow.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

An update pushed out tomorrow... right, and the check is in the mail.  From all the experiences I've had... all the way to the "Office of the President"... ATT is going to do NOTHING to help THOUSANDS of customers.  For me, ATT is now like a cheating wife, you'll never believe another word you hear.

Oh, did they say which tomorrow... this year, next... the tomorrow they told people last year???  :O)

FYI, Office of the President is just another name for some phone room where the people are mushrooms and just do what their script says... over and over... no matter what you say. 

GO T-Mobile!!  I'm going there as fast as I can!!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Well this is the first time they've said something like "tomorrow". Maybe this means something?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have been following this thread for so long and have not seen anything that completely solves the problem. I have tried disabling AT&T apps, teaking WIFI with specialized apps, uninstalled all possible apps (making my phone practically dumbphone). While doing all those things certainly improved battery life the problem of sleep of death (random shut down) persisted.

This is a serious problem and being frustrated I decided to give flashing a try. The process isn't that complecated, read one page of steps on cyanogenmod and installed the latest CM10.1 and my god, the phone has become at least twice as fast. Battery life is improved, all the apps look more beautiful and work perfectly.

Installing custom ROM on your phone is risky, but with the crap firmware isn't it already horrible enough? So if you can not convince AT&T to give you an S3 this is probably your best bet.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/I777_Info

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

So I can stil root/flash my Gs2 even tho its no longer activated with ATT?

What if an OTA is releashed tomorrow, is there a way for me to get it since the GS2 is no longer activated?

is it OK to use my sim card from my GS3 in the GS2?

I havent figured out what I'm gonna do with the GS2, I want it fixed, rooting seems complicated to me...I wish some of you guys were close to me I would sure beg an plead for ya'll to do it for me.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.