The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Interestingly it is only OTA and not at all through Kies

the update was 6694KB in size

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@jamileh wrote:

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions.

Seriously?   I had 3 or 4 "rare occasions" yesterday....

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

This is interesting because everyone I talked to at AT&T were unaware of any problems with the S2 shutting down.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Hate to be a ditto poster, but maybe jamileh couldn't read the 18 pages in this discussion. I think i't a universal problem.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T, masters of corporate-speak that would make Janus, the two-faced god proud.

"We're not aware of the problem you're speaking of", yet they're working on a solution that will be released "in the coming weeks".  Though the "coming weeks" stretched into months.

Then sometimes there is feigned empathy for how "frustrating" or "inconvenient" this must be, only to be told later that there are "few" people with this problem and that it happens only on "rare occasions".

Look, I'm glad they issued a fix, and I hope it actually works, without breaking other things.  But this time, I'm holding off on applying the update until I get more feedback from the ones suffering the most.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

From jamileh:

"...The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions."

Really?!?! Several times a day (or a week) is rare?

This is actually an insulting statement to your customers

Ziad

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

This SoD issue on the Samsung Galaxy SII was introduced with the Android 4.0.4 update that was released by AT&T and Samsung in December 2012.  An AT&T rep confirmed this issue in this forum in January 2013, and the fix was pushed out today, March 29th.  This issue is definitely a bad one for those affected, including myself, but I think AT&T and Samsung's response has been pretty good when you really think about what's involved here.

First, every mobile device on every carrier by every manufacturer have issues - nothing is error free.  The fact is that this phone sold tens of millions of units, and it only impacted those of us who updated to 4.0.4, which would be a small percentage as most users probably are still running 2.3.6.  And the issue probably happen rarely for most users who are on 4.0.4 because based on the symptoms, certain conditions must be occurring to trigger it.  I know several users on this forum who have suggested different steps, such as disabling certain apps, to help mitigate the issue.  This means that in order to identify the root cause, AT&T and Samsung would have to reproduce this issue repeatedly in order to research it, and they have to account for all the different apps that users have installed, and there may have been multiple combinations of triggers to research. Plus, there's probably no error logs sent back to AT&T/Samsung when these issues occur for them to examine and trace the SoD conditions.  And I'm sure this is just one of many, many other errors that other users using other devices are experiencing, which means they have to prioritize the research and fix using their finite team of developer resources.  Bottom line is that a turn-around time of a couple of months for this type of issue is pretty good.

And of course frontline reps at AT&T are not going to know about this issue.  They're trained only to sell phones/plans.  They're not developers.  We cannot expect them to know about some issue that only a few customers are complaining to them about when they only need to be superficially knowledgeable about the few phones they're selling at the moment, or must stick to a sales script prescribed by corporate headquarters?

I'm just glad that AT&T/Samsung provide a forum for customers to discuss and raise issues, and that they're watching these forums, responding to customers, and communicating with their technical support personnel to address customer issues.  It may not be as fast as those affected would like, but it's a reasonable response.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

@samblackjack wrote:

One curious thing is that the OTA update did NOT re-enable all the AT&T apps that I had previously disabled in order to try to prevent the SoD problem.

Before this OTA update, I was getting SoD about once every couple of days, which is manageable.  So we'll see if this update fixes the issue.

I previously received a refurbished S2 due to the SOD issue.  With that version I was allowed to delete the AT&T apps.  I was not able to do so with my original phone.   So I think the AT&T apps were/are definitely part of the fix.  

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

@NormChar wrote:

@samblackjack wrote:

One curious thing is that the OTA update did NOT re-enable all the AT&T apps that I had previously disabled in order to try to prevent the SoD problem.

Before this OTA update, I was getting SoD about once every couple of days, which is manageable.  So we'll see if this update fixes the issue.

I previously received a refurbished S2 due to the SOD issue.  With that version I was allowed to delete the AT&T apps.  I was not able to do so with my original phone.   So I think the AT&T apps were/are definitely part of the fix.  

Yes, the AT&T apps are part of the OTA update that came out today. I saw them "install" during the update process, and I had expected them to show up in my app drawer.  But to my surprise, they were still labeled as "disabled" in my list of apps.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Samblackjack,

You do make a couple of valid points.  Things like this ARE hard to track down.  But...

1) The issue started in June of last year by my best research.  There is actually no guarantee that it wasn't happening with the original Gingerbread OS.  The 4.0.4 ICS update was out in June so this was probably an issue from the first day the phone shipped.  I had my first SoD in July last year within weeks of getting the phone and started working it with ATT support.  So, no, not 3 months... a minimum of NINE months for a fix.

2) During that NINE MONTHS, Samsung released and supported Jelly Bean on all but U.S. units.  Based on my research, not a single JB unit has SoD.  So, their response with a "fix" was a very badly taken decision.  Assuming it is a fix that is.

3) By January of this year, all active users of the S2 would be on 4.0.4.  If you read the forum, the OAT push in December would not be denied... sooner or later, if you turn on your phone, you get the upgrade to 4.0.4.  So, no sympathy for Samsung or ATT on that front.

4) We were not calling Sales for "front line reps".  We were calling Support at both Samsung and ATT and, in my case, escalating WAY up the chain.  Doesn't ATT have internal communications channels?  How could the reps in Support not be aware of something that thousands of people have called in about?  That would be a sign of VERY bad managment.

Sorry... this was an epic fail for ATT all around and points out HUGE issues with their support organization.  A bad sign of things to come I fear  😞

Don't breath a sigh of releif yet... it will take weeks to assess how many thousands of phones were either fixed or still broken... or broken even worse by the "fix".

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.