The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

So is ATT helping people on an individual basis? I just called tech support and was told that the software update would be out "soon". I asked what date "soon" was and of course the tech didn't know.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Getting help from AT&T seems to be a game of roulette. Perhaps you will get that one person who is aware of the problem and has the willingness (and permission) to help you, and perhaps you will get the call-center operator who doesn't care for you or their job, doesn't really understand phones, and is just reading from the script and collecting a paycheck.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Am I the only one finding this "send us a private message and we'll help you" a bit odd? It's almost like it's AT&T's way of trying to keep the issue "quiet". This shouldn't be done on an individual basis. AT&T/Samsung released an update that ruined our very good phones. They need a fix for this like yesterday. Why not just release the Jelly Bean upgrade?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Can add another upset customer to this list. Up to 5 shut downs a day and can never completely rely on the phone because of this. Missing important business related phone calls has cost me money, all because I never know when it decides to shut down. I will be canceling my service with ATT and going to another carrier that actually upgrades and fixes their customers' problems.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

FYI, my private message was, thanks for information, we'll look into it. That's it.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

This is a must read. It's a link to a news site telling about the 4.0.4 update. Check out the comments. There are many that are immediately describing the SOD issue with the update.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/12/19/att-galaxy-s2-android-4-0-4-update-now-available/

AT&T knows they sent out a bad update that has damaged people's phones. All these month's later and no fix. It's pretty clear they're working on squat to fix it and hope people just lay off. Smiley Mad

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

After a number of emails today I was told the S2 will not be getting 4.1. However they will let me buy a new phone for $200 plus an upgrade fee of $36 and extend my contract for 2 more years. I politely told them no thanks and I will be moving on when my contarct expires in 3 months. Their response to this issue is incredible.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I never bothered to post "Me too!" - wonder how many of us there are. But had the same problems... right after 4.0.4 update, started getting SOD (and horrible battery life). Saw all the grief and non-progress made by others and figured I'd save myself the hassle. I don't want a new phone nor a new contract.

Now rooted, running SHOstock3 (Jelly Bean) (gives the SGS2 legs, man!), switched provider, waiting for my AT&T number to port to Google Voice. Paying less now for unlimited voice, text, and data. Saving money even after the early termination fee.

The ROM development community is WAY more responsive to bugs, upgrades, and adding features than the carriers. No bloatware and apps I'll never use.

=Happy.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I would suspect that if News sites (CNET or others) posted stories on this problem then that would certainly get AT&T's immediate and serious attention. How do we go about informing these News sites of this?

Ziad

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Log a complaint with http://www.bbb.org/

Someone will contact you from ATT and offer a replacement phone.

I was offered a cheap(.99 cents) samsung phone - i declined and asked for a Galaxy S3.

I talked to them on Monday and got the phone on Wednesday(Can you believe it)

Hope this helps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.