The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hello All-

As suggested by another post on this forum, there are two Clock app on my SGS2 Android 4.0.4.  I forced stop the one that uses no memory and disabled it.  I also disabled the Dual Clock app.  By disabling these two apps, my SGS2 seems to be healthy again.  It has been two days without the random shut off problem.  I can't say this is THE solution, but it works on my phone.  My two cents....

BTW, I also disabled all ATT apps.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

I have the same, extremely frustrating behavior.  The 4.0.4 update installed over the air for me.  I have done a factory reset and full reformat.  Nothing, still experiencing the turned off screen freezing (SOD) issue randomly, once/twice a day.  I've also tried to pace the reinstallation of apps that I use to see if something fixed it, nothing.   This did not happen with 4.0.3.

I have Wifi turn on on my phone most of the time.   (And I also have a microcell.  And the reason I have to keep wifi on is because the microcell accelerates battery drain battery on 4G, and not a fix in sight for a problem that has been known and recognized for over a year).

What will happen if I call support is that I'll get the same story as others, let's exchange the phone, send you a refurb one, and the problem will still be there.

My last attempt effort before embarking on the downgrade to 4.0.3. is disabling the two clock apps suggested, and the google books, magazine, movies tv, qlik lite, and google+.  (I had already disabled the AT&T apps and it didn't fix the problem).

At this point, although always hopeful, I have a feeling these apps don't make a difference.  I think the issue is really between the OS software, the phone's wifi state, and the sleep state. I do know that the problem isn't specific to AT&T, because if you google around, you will see that at least Virgin and Vodafone have the same issue.  But, that doesn't shift ultimate responsibility from AT&T since my phone is an AT&T-branded Samsung and they should interact w/ Samsung and/or Google to try to fix what is clearly a non-isolated situation caused by a firmware update.

I will not accept that an S2 is a "legacy" phone and cannot be fixed.  Not asking for JB, simply asking for a reliable phone.  I don't see any fruitful mechanism to ignore my two year contract because a problem that is not caused by me could be resolved by "upgrading" my phone.   In the car industry, this is called a lemon.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

The att moderator "Jamileh" who posted on Jan 23 at message no 98 in this string seemed to imply a fix was in the works. But in typical att fashion there was no date and no word on what the problem was. I sent her a private msg with my email and phone no but no response. Kind of rude

I will note that if this cropped up in the update from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 (as some suspect) it was pretty recent problem then. I could not swear this was a 4.0.4 issue. it does seem to be on wifi only but again thats where my phone spend most of its time

I wish I had left the refurb phone at 4.0.3 as it came from samsung but I let it auto update to 4.0.4. oh well live and learn

Also of the 3 att tech centers I visited none admitted to seeing ad s2 with this issue. amazing But they sure did have lots of refurbed s2's to hand out. makes you wonder

as for the micro cell I am glad I did not get one of those just to make up for att's crappy 3g coverage at my house and non existant 4g lte. You talk about lies those att LTE maps are fraudulent.!!!

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Anyone who takes their phone in to a service center should print out a copy of this thread and take it with them. Better yet, we should throw a BBQ and each of us can invite our respective Service Reps to come out, and we can introduce them to each other, and let them know that yes, there are others who have this problem. Apparently, AT&T has no means of communicating common customer problems intra-company.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

The only thing that gives me solace is that all other telcos and big cos are just as ** up. Look at HP. Now there is a well run co. My brother worked there and said they could lay off 50k people and never notice they were gone.

On an individual basis the att people are pretty good. they try but its very bad decion making at the top by the "stock price inflators" that ** up the company. Hey how can we boost our stock price today over verizon? I know lets send out a press release that the lobbiest sugests! Lets says some cr_p about LTE or U verse that we know is false...

sorry to get off topic

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@swh-usa wrote:

The att moderator "Jamileh" who posted on Jan 23 at message no 98 in this string seemed to imply a fix was in the works. But in typical att fashion there was no date and no word on what the problem was. I sent her a private msg with my email and phone no but no response. Kind of rude

I will note that if this cropped up in the update from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 (as some suspect) it was pretty recent problem then. I could not swear this was a 4.0.4 issue. it does seem to be on wifi only but again thats where my phone spend most of its time

I wish I had left the refurb phone at 4.0.3 as it came from samsung but I let it auto update to 4.0.4. oh well live and learn

Also of the 3 att tech centers I visited none admitted to seeing ad s2 with this issue. amazing But they sure did have lots of refurbed s2's to hand out. makes you wonder

as for the micro cell I am glad I did not get one of those just to make up for att's crappy 3g coverage at my house and non existant 4g lte. You talk about lies those att LTE maps are fraudulent.!!!

Hello, 

I replied to your private message on 2/4/13 at 1:33PM, about 2 1/2 hours after you sent it. As of now, it shows unread so please click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner to read that and any other private messages waiting for you. 

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

In order to to arrive at a solution we need to know what causes the problem. Is it only 4.0.4 on only the s2? Or is it other phones? Is it wifi? what triggers it? Is there an accepted work arround we can use until the fix is issued? Will the fix auto download or not? Will the ix be in 4.0.5 or just a "patch"  If these cannot be answered then I am fearful that a fix is a long way off. Not just "weeks" (2- 50 weeks?)

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

You really don't have to be an IT person to see based on these threads that 4.0.4 is causing the problem of the sleep of death.

Has anyone that posted in this thread ever have the sleep of death when they were on 4.0.3 or earlier?? I know I didn't, and haven't since I have been back on 4.0.3.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@swh-usa wrote:

In order to to arrive at a solution we need to know what causes the problem. Is it only 4.0.4 on only the s2? Or is it other phones? Is it wifi? what triggers it? Is there an accepted work arround we can use until the fix is issued? Will the fix auto download or not? Will the ix be in 4.0.5 or just a "patch"  If these cannot be answered then I am fearful that a fix is a long way off. Not just "weeks" (2- 50 weeks?)

I cannot give you information that is not available. I'm sorry that I don't have additional details to provide, I wish I did. 

When I do have news, I will update this thread. 

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

There are at least three separate threads on this topic. The moderator has only posted on one of them. I have no idea what is causing the problem or how to fix it. I see some people in other threds that said it was a pre 4.0.4 problem. But knowing that its just 4.0.4 does not help unless there is some att approved way to go back to 4.0.3. Rooting the phone not an option for me as it voids warranty and I hear those people have their own sets of problems. I am begining to think the smart phone thing is not so smart unless you are a phone co charging for the data

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.