The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I haven't gotten any notice to upgrade, maybe its because I rolled it back but not sure. I did root mine even though I'm just using the factory rom. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@ablan59 wrote:
I haven't gotten any notice to upgrade, maybe its because I rolled it back but not sure. I did root mine even though I'm just using the factory rom. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe the rooting made the difference. Have you done a "check for updates" at all, just to see what it says? Or are you scared to?  Don't blame you if you are. 🙂

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Haven't tried but I do think the rooting may be why since its a different kernal. Maybe thats the trick too to making it all work. The only issue I have even had is a couple times my text message alert sound did not go off. I may have just missed hearing it though.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

[quote]please tell me how to roll mine back to 4.0.3[/quote]

I filed a complaint with attoney general and had the president of att secratary call me, she said to call samsung and request a different model and if they ok it, they will send me another model out.

the number to att president [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

I suggest everyone call the president secratary number, flood the number and maybe they will get this fixed.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

I dont want to hassle trying to get back to 4.0.3. What pi_ses me off is the last two refurb phones I got came from samasun refurb with 4.0.3 std on the phone. but when I got home it automatically upgraded to 4.0.4. sigh

Oh and I told the moderator to please repost her post below at the start of the thread so epople know what is up

No word yet ona date or if this means we go to 4.0.5 or of this is just a patch for the s2. I know two people on att s3 with no shutdown issues. so the 4.0.4 likely did it to the s2 which is just too old to take the latest upgrade. I know we will not be getting 4.1 but 4.0.5 or 4.0.6 might help. Again as these fixes have to be blessed by google, samsung AND att it takes forever

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode
Options

‎01-23-2013 09:55:00 AM

Hey guys...

Great news :smileyhappy:

We worked with Samsung to research this issue and a fix will be available in the coming weeks. I don't have any specific dates just yet but as soon as I do, I'll post them here. 

I want to note that this is a direct result of you discussing this issue in the forums and telling us what you are seeing. Great job.

--------------

AT&T Community Manager
Awesome; like unicorns & cotton candy!
Follow me on Twitter - @ATT_Jam
Need additional help? Follow @attcustomercare on Twitter!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

I think the "fix in a matter of weeks" is total B***Cr**. No mention of whether they've reproduced this problem? No mention of Jelly Bean fixing this problem? No mention of JB being rolled out at some date soon (it's already rolled out to S2 devices in other countries). The lack of communication about this problem and solution tells me there is very little substance behind this promise.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

@angeleye50 - message #78 has the link to the fix I used. It can be painful and time consuming if you have never done one.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

ill just wait. I dont want to be rooting and screw up my 90 day warranty.

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-to-official-ics-on-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

I saw a post in one of these threads to try to go back to 4.0.3 from 4.0.4 via kies. I dont see that as possible either. Also lots of people have osted "fixes" which did not work for me

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

My S2 has not had an SOD for more than 2 weeks. I posted before what I did the only thing I left out was that I have not turned on my wifi. Wifi could very well be the problem. 

Here's my previuos post.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

‎01-26-2013 03:58:24 AM

This worked for me:

1. Settings, factory data reset. Back up before doing this. I thought it would reset to GB but it reset to ICS 4.04

2. Reinstall my apps.

3. Delete any battery saving apps like Juice defender or battery indicater apps.

4. Uninstalled updates, cleared data and then disabled all ATT apps like Att Smart wifi, code scanner,family map, hot spots navigator, Qik lite, social hub, google play books magazines movies and tv and google+, Live TV , Movie hub. i dont use any of those apps anyways. Also delete any apps you don't use. Why have them if you dont need them.

I can't think of anything else I did. I havent had a SOD for over a week now!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@neshadha, thanks for taking the time to post the detailed instructions. It was extremely helpful. I was amazed that I even got Kies to cooperate for this re-download. Prior to the re-download, I had tried all the solutions people were suggesting. The phone was shutting off less and less as time progressed, but it still happened about once every two days. Even though I have an i9300, the SGH-i777 is truly special as to input response "snappiness." I might add that at step 9, I had to disconnect the USB cable before the phone rebooted. Prior to disconnecting the USB cable (there was a Kies message saying the same), the i777 screen was alternating between images of a charging battery and the Android robot with spinning internals. There also seemed to be a installation/downloading progress line at the screen's bottom. Played it safe and left the cable connected but no change after a few hours. Disconnected cable and the phone rebooted. Doing a factory wipe next.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.