The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Spoiler

And  a second shut-off today after 4 happy days of no shut-offs.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Mine is still good running 4.0.3 & rooted.  Has been 15 days tomorrow I think.  I have not done a single manual restart either, nor have I changed any clock settings or deleted any bloatware.  I did disable Acuweather & AT&T hotspots. I forced close on the other AT&T aps.  I continue to be happy with the performance now and I have used it heavily at work this week.  

I still think the bug is in the 4.0.4 firmware.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I had this issue for months now. Obviously is faulty software that we were forced to install. According the AT&T rep, she indicated a fix would be done in a few weeks.  It’s been a week and no update to that post.

I tried all kinds of solutions including purchasing a new Samsung battery and nothing has helped. 

Sometimes it happens 2 or 3 times per day and sometimes it can go 3 or 4 days without going into a coma.

I don't think this is a AT&T issue since there are other boards where people that have the S2 with other carries are experiencing the same issue.

Perhaps it’s time to root the phone once and for all… 

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

My phone is also back to working properly after going back to 4.0.3. Not one single issue.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

OK, my countdown starts now. I just flashed an alternative ROM. I'll let you know how it goes. Since I've have strings of a week or more of false success, I won't consider this fixed until I see it working for a month.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

OK, I had enough, this is the 3rd phone from att the s2 version 4.0.4, no matter what I do the  thing , goes into SOD, I have to remove battery and then start it up, now this is my 3rd phone no apps installed, just the  upgrade that came with it.

going to the bb site and attnorney general site to file a complaint, I suggest other do the same,maybe they get off their lazy as@##@!@& and give us a fix, or the JB update.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

This is a huge issue. I am now on 4th S2 phone. Get a refurb on 1/24/13. Same issue Sleep of death. But also added issue of batt not showing charge or discharge. irvine tech center said on 2/2/13 the refurb phone was bad (batt new from att). So I kept everything stock on 2/2/13 s2 refurb and only added google drive, google cal and google voice. The phone came from samsung refurb factory with ICS 4.0.3 and seamlessly upgraded OTA wifi to 4.0.4 (same buld all my other SOD S2 phones had) So I followed all the tech guys instructions on battery conditioning. left phone on charged overnight. phone good this am. then all of a sudden while screen was off..yep did it again. Sleep of dealth!!! Its not an app issue. its ICS plus s2 archtecture. seems to only happen on wifi but then again I am on wifi 90% of the time so that may be coincidental. I know people with s3 with no issues on ATT with jelly bean or ICS 4.0.4 befor ethey got 4.1.

So yes att, google and samsung better get this straight or perhaps blackberry and wondows phones will rise? lol

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I am also having this same problem. My wife had the S2 [private] and the S3 [for company].. then she got the iphone 5 and did not even once crashed for over 3 mths now.. I had the S2 for about 1yr 2 mths and mine auto shut down even without doing anything and battery is terrible terrible!!!.. missed calls and dropped calls when scheduling surgeries or talking to insurance for medical claims after being place on a 1hr hold. I am so sick of this phone. Yes it is nice to look at sometimes but the problems are frustrating. I cannot wait for this contract to end. My collegue has the galaxy note and he had same issues. Why Samsung.. make things so nice to look at but do not work well. I cannot keep rebooting a phone all the time. Mine shut down 3-4x a day after updating to 4.04. i am so tired of it. Yes I have check so many Android sites and it seems to work for a few days then it is all back to the same. What I need now is a hammer.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

The only reliable fix thus far has been to roll back to 4.0.3 or root and use a differnt Rom.  My S2 continues to work pretty much perfectly on 4.0.3.  Almost a month and not a single reboot.  Why can't AT&T or Samsung figure this out too for everyone?  

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@ablan59 - Thanks for keeping us up to date on your success.

How do you keep it from being auto-updated to 4.0.4? I'm not really privy to how this works... does it alert you that an update is ready, and you can choose to ignore it? I thought I'd seen elsewhere in this thread where people were "forced" to upgrade.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.