The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I guess we will be looking into a different wireless carrier in a couple of months after our contract is up also.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I hate to stick up for att yet it behooves me to let everyone know that all carriers are having same problem with the gs2 phone. Seems the phone will not wake . Mine did while talking with Samsung and yet I was still able to talk with Bluetooth but phone would not wake. I wonder if the glitch is in the programming of the wake? Phone doesn't shut off while in use as far as I can tell just when it goes to sleep or idle it will not wake. Anyone experience it shutting down while performing any tasks?

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

scot070, if this is happening to al gs2 phones, then you have some valid points. However, if that is the case, then AT&T should be defending themselves here, not leaving it up to you to put 2 and 2 together.

I have not experienced any issues while I am in the process of doing something. However, there is more to this than just the wake issue. Most of the time, when I restart the phone, after the sleep of death, my battery status is totally f'd up. I go from 50% charge down to 5%. That is more than a wake function issue.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Several that have rooted their phones have spoke up in other threads with zero issues so I don't think its the phone itself or they would be having the same problem.  

Mine went from 5pm yesterday till noon today, then shut down.  I felt it getting warmer 30 minutes before it shut down,  Battery did not drop that much at all.  I had all the AT&T apps disabled.  I was away from Wifi some so I was off of it, then shortly after I was back on wifi it shut down.  Not sure if there is anything there causing it.  Just seems too random.  Does seem to help my battery life a lot by shutting down AT&T apps.  

Thinking I may root mine this weekend.  Have nothing to lose at this point.  Worse scenerio I'll go back to my trusty Iphone 3gs and its slow speeds.  

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@ablan59 - are you saying there are people who had this problem, and then rooted their phone, and that fixed it?

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, there were some replies on other threads where they said after they rooted they didn't have the problem. Maybe someone that has rooted theirs will chime in here.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

The site below has links to reflash 4.0.3 to Galaxy S2 I777:

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-to-official-ics-on-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

I did this a little while ago, and so far, it's on 4.0.3, NOT 4.0.4

Hope this helps!!!

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have been having the same problem since I upgraded to android 4.0.4. I have shut down an app called Sim Toolkit. I had to do it by holding the home button until the list of recent apps came up. I swiped it off the screen to shut it down. Since shutting it down I have had 1 sleep of death in 5 days. I have discovered that the app will reactivate itself after a certain amount of time (a real PIA). Now I regularly check to make sure that it is not running. If it is I shut it off again. I do not see an option to disable the app in settings, or else I would do it there. I hope this may help. I will keep posting if the problem reappears.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

It's been 4 whole days since I got 4.0.3 reflashed on my phone by AT&T. I have not had a single abnormal shutdown and battery life is back to normal, but I never encountered major issues when my phone was on 4.0.3, so I don't know if this helps those of you who have had these issues since gingerbread. If your issues started with 4.0.4, it would probably help to somehow get your OS back on 4.0.3 - either officially through AT&T or doing it yourself with the link posted above.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.