The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

try uninstalling lookout. see if the problem still exists.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Mine started doing this as well after the last OTA update.  This phone was working very well before that update.  Very frustrating.  Looks like AT&T does not have much to offer as well, as usual for any of these types of issues.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Same problem here. I have an i777. I didn't experience the sleep of death issues when running GB. It started immediately after updating to ICS 4.0.3. I allowed the 4.0.4 update because I thought maybe...MAYBE... the problem was finally addressed. No such luck. I could root and try freezing/uninstalling random bloatware, but why should I have to do that? The phone should just work.

The situation reminds me of my Captivate problem. Basically, it was the same: it put itself into dead sleep after a full charge. I know from forums all over the web that this was a huge problem with Cappys, but never addressed by the manufacturer, AT&T, or Google. However, I found an app in the Market called Captivate Keep Alive. It prevents deep sleep. It worked pretty well on the Cappy, and I'm wondering if it will work on the GS2. They are both galaxy phones. I'll give it a try & report back. Regardless, we shouldn't have to deal with problems like this, and we shouldn't feel like we must jailbreak our phones to get them to work.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I've posted this in another forum and thought I should post here too.  Don't laugh.  I know most people suspect it's a software issue, but I'm so frustrated with this problem that I'm willing to try anything.

I have the Samsung GS2 with AT&T (i-777 model).  Not sure if you still have this shutting off problem, but I have it too.  It's happening more often recently like 2-3 times a day.  The phone doesn't get too hot, but I do see the battery charge drop, and one time when I woke in the morning the entire battery was drained.  Several weeks ago, it was shutting off like once every 2 weeks and I didn't mind it.  Now it's p*ssing me off.  So after reading the suggestions, I decided to uninstall APPS.  At first I uninstalled things I didn't use like games and utilities.  Didn't work.  Then I uninstalled APPS that just ran in the background like anti-virus, security and this one called Android Assistant.  Didn't work.  I was ready to give up and do a factory reset.  I pulled the battery out and place it back in, but then I noticed the battery SLIDES A BIT IN THE BATTERY SLOT.  The battery makes connection over a few spring loaded copper contacts, but I was able to move the battery away about 1-2mm.  That's when I decided to push the battery as much as I could toward the copper contacts and wedge a folded up piece of paper to the other side of the battery.  Basically I was trying to prevent the battery from sliding back.  After that, my phone haven't shut off by itself in a day.  This is the longest time it has NOT shut off.  Will update again in couple of days.  Fingers crossed.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

2 weeks ago 4.0.4 update after same proplem. evveryday 1~2 time shut off from sleep mode, becouse any other button not working..

only battery take off after working.....

how can i do..... at&t poor firmware. how can i downgrade.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I said I'd report back after trying an app solution. The one I ended up trying is called Wi-Fi Keep Alive. Basically, it does what the other app I mentioned does: it keeps the phone from sleeping completely. In this case, the object is to prevent wi-fi connectivity from dropping. I do think the wi-fi radio, and its interaction with the OS, has something to do with the SoD problem. Again, I didn't have it when running Gingerbread. 

I installed this app right after I posted on the 3rd, and haven't had a shutdown since. Battery life is great. I'm not ready to declare this THE ANSWER, but it's looking good. And I am not connected to the app's developer in any way. 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

All,

I am still running Android 2.3 on my Galaxy SII, as I have had it over a year, and went through the mysterious shutoff problem as well.  

As mentioned below, I noticed a bit of wiggle with the battery, and placed a layer of tape on the far side (away from the gold contact pins, and another several strips on top of the battery.

No problems now.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

A couple of days ago, I disabled the "AT&T Smart Wi-Fi" application (which was automatically installed in the last OS update), as suggested by someone in another thread. Since then, my phone shut down only once (it used to shut down several times a day before that). I am hoping this "fixes" it. I'll post to this thread in a few days with what happens.

Ziad

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Update to my post... It's been 3 days since I did the battery thing, and it's had that idle shutoff once (1.5 days after the battery trick). I think normally I would have the shutoff 5-6 times by now. I've been leaving the wi-fi on and the battery doesn't get hot or have the shutoff. Anyone else having success?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I am seeing this same issue since the recent OTA update on Dec-20, phone is shutting down around 3-4 time a day. Anybody has the solution. If i don't see the solution, i will have to ditch AT&T since i will have to buy new phone, then why not try some other operator. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.