Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Sat, Nov 22, 2014 3:21 PM

Disable Pre-Installed apps

This has always been an issue, all the pre-installed apps that all wireless companies put on their phones. Until now I have always, disabled the one's I could and dealt with the other's until I felt comfortable enough to root, then FREEDOM. Until now, and this phone (as much as I like it), has extremely too many that can't be disabled. This is ridiculas, I understand there are apps to make this company unique, and apps that are advertisments, I get that, and even though I wish there were none at all, I can live with a few, that's just how business works these days. But this goes beyond what is acceptable. 

Is there anyway to disable, these apps that are on the surface not disable-able? Is there no way to turn some of this off. There is the push-to-talk, I don't use that, there is the Family Map, I don't use that, At&t Live, I HATE that, there is mobile locate, I don't use that, 

Here's a really dumb one, AT&T Ready2Go, this should be a one time use thing, it should automatically disable it's self. Beats Music (I'm a 42 y/o man, I don't do music), the "Live Wallpapers", I don't use them, they use too much battery, the VIRUS, AD-WARE, SPY-WARE Browser Bar.

PLEASE HELP ME, if nothing else it's the principal of the thing, as much as I have paid for the phone I should be able to turn off what I don't want. 

Responses

ATTDelia

Employee

• 

581 Messages

5 years ago

Hey there @Robby.k5451 you pose a great question here.

I know that on some phones a user may have the capability to disable or uninstall pre-installed apps.  Unfortunately, however, there is not a way to remove them.  Smiley Sad

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

When I enabled AT&T mail -that u have never used, but see it has a lot of storage saved. I deleted the cache and internal storage then disabled again. But it still showed 12kb memory which is considerably mower than the 7 hundred and something. What about AT&T Maps would that effect my Google maps? Thank you in advance, have a great Sunday
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Hockeymom67  You have not created usable storage.   Preinstalled apps are installed in the device partition, not the user partition.   Even if you get rid of all useless apps, you can’t use the storage.

I will assume you have a budget android phone.   There are other options when phone shopping than the cheapo 16 gig, $40 to $200 phones sold by ATT that can get you 32 or 64 gigs on internal storage for under $300.

Nokia 6

moto G4 and G5 series

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Actually I got the S5 the day it came out. It's no cheap $20,$ 40 phone.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

2 years ago

@Hockeymom67 wrote:

The s5 is a poor excuse of a smart phone.  This was pre disable era.  Its considered obsolete these days.  It was a powerful phone but had way to much carrier and samsung bloat for a 16gb device.  @lizdance40 is right tho even if you disable a preloaded app you are not getting the storage back its on the system rom. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Hockeymom67 wrote:

Older models often have limited storage.  The only NEW phones (sold in the last 2-3 year) with 16 gigs are cheaper phones.  Thank goodness 32 is now the minimum for flagships.  This year even that is going up.

When I had a 16 gig phone, I used Dropbox for all photos and kept none on the phone. 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

This issue highlights one of the many reasons why I chose a Pixel XL... No bloat!

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Lilybell2.  I am missing my Pixel.  I decided to down size as I had 3 old and 3 new phones.  Sold the older phones and 2 newer ones to buy a much newer phone.  (Samsung GS8). 

Bixby is a joke compared to hands free OK Google.  

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

I can totally understand why you'd be missing your Pixel, @lizdance40.  Great phone and fast updates.  The hands free Google Assistant is really nice, plus I'm really liking Oreo. 

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Well my s5 battery took it's final last breathe. So I got the new S8 Note. It's absolutely AMAZING. But I still need to know what AT&T App Select is using memory for, if you have any info on uninstalling it and can I clear what memory it's stored and what will I lose if I cleared it like I do cache? Any info would be greatly appreciated 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

2 years ago

@Hockeymom67

Google is your friend

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1115855

You can remove it

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 months ago

did you ever get an answer? Customers can't uninstall some AT&T pre-installed-apps BUT you can DISABLE some of 'em 〔including the app you asked about, above〕

some AT&T apps only usable for yearly contract subscribers and AT&T U-verse customers

rendering them "bloat ware" for month-by-month type customers

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

5 months ago

@PenSolar   The thread is 2 years old.   

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Its gross that AT&T has so little regard for their customers. I don't install these junk apps because I don't trust them. ATT installs and reinstalls them at least once a week.

I've been with t-mobile and Verizon but AT&T is the first that hhas the audacity to keep reinstalling them after I delete them.

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

I much prefer phones that are not purchased from a carrier. I hate unnecessary and unwanted bloat.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

@slimjim503 disable them. You can't uninstall them hence why they just come back

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

GLIMMERMAN76 is absolutely right... you may not be able to uninstall some of those irritating apps, but you can sure disable them!

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…