Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
socalgirl2014's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Thu, Sep 20, 2018 7:42 PM

Can’t update OS software without WiFi- yet can watch unlimited data gigs and gigs of movies?

I have the S9+ 

I was notified that there is an operating system update necessary for my phone. I tired to update with my unlimited data plan, it says I must do this over WiFi.

I live in a rural area and do not have WiFi, and is quite a drive and effort just to use slooooow public WiFi to download a gig of system data.

My question is - is there a way to change any setting on my cellphone which will allow me to update the system software using my cellular plan?

And if not, and I truly have to drive to public WiFi to download a gig to update OS software then can anyone explain - why does att have unlimited plans, where you use at a minimum 1 gig data per hour just watching movies? It makes no sense to allow unlimted data for movies - yet BLOCK the data for the system software thier phones use on thier network.

Thanks for any help.

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

4年前

This is a fairly common carrier policy.  It's not unusual for a system upgrade to be quite large, maybe close to 2GB.  Not everyone has an unlimited plan, and even those who do may very well be at a usage point where their speed would be throttled while downloading such a large update.  

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.