Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Mar 27, 2020 9:49 PM

Can you transfer advanced messages between phones yet? It's 2020.

Hi! Unbeknownst to me, I had advanced messaging (RCS) turned on a couple of years ago on my Galaxy S9+. I am trying to get texts transferred, including critical work threads, my last remote conversations with my father before he died, and the initial texts with my future wife. I used the default Android/Samsung/AT&T messaging app.

It's a 3-year-old problem, but my side of the conversation does not transfer, only the received texts because those come in as SMS and MMS. I tried transferring to Google Messaging on the old phone to transfer over subsequently, but it doesn't recognize my side. SMS Transfer & Restore doesn't for the same reason. AT&T Transfer didn't work, not did backing it up through AT&T or Samsung Cloud and downloading the backup to the new phone.

Can someone please help? It blows my mind that this is (apparently) an unresolved issue.

Responses

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

2 months ago

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

Hey! That is great advice, but (as I mentioned) it does not work for the default texting service. It (Edited per community guidelines) to know that if I had preferred Google's texting app, that app WOULD work because it stores them as SMS and MMS. Thank you, though!

(edited)

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Try transferring your messages using the usb cord. I have messages from 4 phones past and the only time I ever had an issue with them transferring to the new phone incorrectly was when an ATT employee forced me to transfer them over wifi to my new phone.

• 

3 Messages

That is my next try, as I have heard that from others! I am headed to grab a USB-C adapter now, but it is good to know that it's not just superstition with regard to cord versus Wi-Fi. Thank you for the advice!