The Samsung Galaxy S24
kosti's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Monday, July 16th, 2012 6:04 PM

Can we please have Google Wallet functionality?

i have a Galaxy SII Skyrocket. I upgraded to ICS recently, but Google Wallet will still not work because there is no secure element on my phone. I dont quite know how all this works but it seems this is now a problem only my carrier can resolve. I would really like to add something to my SD card or get a new SIM card that has a secure element so i can use this app. if this is something ATT will not ever do, i suppose i can wait until my contract expires and switch to Sprint. Does anyone know what ATT has planned for this?

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Same with the Galaxy S3!

It says its not yet available for my device..

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Add my voice to the chorus!  Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note requests here!

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

12 years ago

Anytime money is transacted, someone gets a cut.  The carriers want that person to be them, not Google.  So they're working on their own NFC payment system (ISIS I think).  So they won't ever enable Google Wallet.

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

12 years ago

The last I saw, only one credit card issuer supported Google Wallet. Most are waiting on a different system.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

no, several credit card companies support it. I know  mastercard for sure and pretty confident in visa. the credit card companies would still get their cut. for them it's no different than using the paypass thing with a credit card. its the carriers who are blocking this. sprint is the only one willing to let people do it (which is why i'm thinking of switching to them)

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

I don't think that it's entirely the carriers that are blocking the Google Wallet service.  Google has to enable it for the device, as well. 

AT&T allows the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus phones on their network to use Google Wallet.

Citi Mastercard is the only credit card that is supported now for Google Wallet.  Users can also use the Google prepaid card and some gift cards.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

I don't think that it's entirely the carriers that are blocking the Google Wallet service.  Google has to enable it for the device, as well. 

AT&T allows the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus phones on their network to use Google Wallet.

Citi Mastercard is the only credit card that is supported now for Google Wallet.  Users can also use the Google prepaid card and some gift cards.

I do believe the carriers have something to do with it though. the only reason the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S allowed Google Wallet on AT&T is because those phones were unlocked, and not AT&T branded. I think AT&T has (or is creating) its own NFC payment method that it wants its customers to start using, but either way we should have the option to use Google Wallet!

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

That's why I said entirely the carriers.  I think that it's a mix of the carriers and Google.  Case in point - I have an international HTC One X that I can't use Google Wallet on, just like my AT&T Galaxy S III.  But, I can use Google Wallet on my Nexus devices, both on T-Mobile and AT&T.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Ahh yes touche agreed lol

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

Hey amazon.com has android applications available on their site as well.  You may wanna try to see if the app you are looking for is carried by amazon.  I've had problems with google play with purchasing credits for an android application I play but since I downloaded it from amazon I've had no problems at all purchasing credits.  Just a thought.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.