Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 1:56 AM

Can I use an unlocked phone on AT&T?

I want to upgrade my phone and I am thinking about purchasing an unlocked Motorola G5 directly from the manufacturer. Will an unlocked phone work with my current ATT service? If so, is it as simple as placing my old SIM card into my new phone? Thanks for you help!

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

RhodesMan

ACE - Guru

• 

865 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, no reason why it would not. You just need to make sure that your current sim is the same size and has the right feature set for the new phone.

If not then an AT&T store will swap it out for you. You may also need to enter the correct APN settings.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

69.6K Messages

2 years ago

Yes, you can use it on ATT.  If it’s not an ATT phone, it cannot lock to ATT.  It may not be entirely compatible with all ATT services if it’s not an ATT phone.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.2K Messages

3 years ago

The basic features should work: voice, messaging and data. The more advanced features, like wi-fi calling, hd voice, number sync — will only work on AT&T branded phones.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

@567tgh wrote:

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful. 

dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.2K Messages

2 years ago

@seokjoonhyun wrote:

Do not use an ATT sim card with an unlocked phone because it will be locked with ATT once you set it up with an ATT sim card. If you want it to remain unlocked, avoid ATT.

I don't know where you got that idea. I've been using AT&T SIM cards in unlocked phones for over 10 years and not a single one of them became locked.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

everyone's phone is different. in my case, my iphone x from best buy became locked to be used and im struggling.

dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.2K Messages

2 years ago

Are you sure you didn't just buy an AT&T model at Best Buy? All the iPhones I saw at Best Buy were carrier models, and AT&T one would naturally end up being locked as that's AT&T policy. If you bought an unlocked iPhone X at Apple without indicating the carrier then that phone would not lock up.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

69.6K Messages

2 years ago

@seokjoonhyun wrote:

everyone's phone is different. in my case, my iphone x from best buy became locked to be used and im struggling.

@seokjoonhyun

The only place to buy a sim free iPhone is Apple.  (The manufacturer)

Best Buy sells a universal model, that will lock to the first carrier you use it on.  

If you buy a phone from the manufacturer that is unlocked, then you don’t have the problem you are having with the iPhone X.   

Best Buy does sell non branded, unlocked android phones.  These are specifically sold as non branded, non carrier, unlocked phones.   If anyone at Best Buy tells you you can buy an iPhone from them that is SIM free, they are wrong.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.2K Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40 thanks for posting a detailed explanation of why the Best Buy iPhone locks after the SIM is inserted.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance you are the only one who has even come close to addressing what I'm about to ask:

My bf bought at Best Buy a new Samsung Galaxy Note 8 but he never activated it. He gave me the phone. I use AT&T. It is my understanding that Verizon (currently) does not lock their smartphones including the Samsung Note 8.  Can I use my AT&T sim card to activate the Samsung Note 8?  And if I do, will the Note 8 then be locked to AT&T? Any insight would be appreciated. Ty!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I bought an unlocked LG X Charge and what I was tolf that not all features will work on an unlocked phones. For instance instead of full 4G services I only get 3G at best; my main complaint is that multimedia messages won't send and receive unless you use another Messanger service such as Facebook Messanger. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

69.6K Messages

2 years ago

@DLynn09

The lack of native MMS is a common complaint.  

You can try calling tech support, but other apps like Textra or android messenger can do the job.