The Samsung Galaxy S24
vacationlover's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, January 1st, 2016 10:35 PM

Browser on ZTE Maven

I have been using GoPhone for many years.  But I just got a new ZTE Maven running Android 5.1, and I'm confused. 

It came with both the standard Android Browser (at least, that's what the icon looked like) and also the Chrome browser installed.  I immediately went to Google Play Store to install my preferred browser Dolphin, but the website said that Dolphin was already installed.  So I clicked on Open, and it launched the standard Browser.  After looking closely at it, I realized that it does indeed look a little like Dolphin, but not exactly.  For one thing, I can't access the Add-On or Control Panel sidebar.

I went back to Google Play Store, and installed LastPass For Dolphin, but in the browser, I can't access LastPass, because of that missing sidebar.

Do you know what's going on?  Did AT&T replace the standard Android Browser with a modified version of Dolphin that doesn't have full capability?

Thanks,
Chris

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have an update on the situation.  I contacted Dolphin Support, and they said:

"After checking with our product team, Dolphin is preset on ZTE phones and it is custom-made without add-ons, so it looks different from the official version on Google Play.

It can not be uninstalled, and you can not install the official Dolphin INT version. We're sorry for this.
Maybe you can try to install Dolphin Express version to see if it can meet your demands."

Dolphin Express is apparently a foreign version that does not show up in the Play Store for US customers.

I tried to provide a link to where I downloaded an APK for Dolphin Express, but the Moderator removed.  So just do a search for "Dolphin Express APK" and you should find one.

Anyway, I installed it, and it works.  It is just like the "regular" version of Dolpin, and accepts all add-ons. So I disabled the "downgraded" browser that came with the phone. Now I'm happy because my new phone has my favorite browser and add-ons

[Edited to comply with Guidelines - removed link to questionable site]

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

All android phones come with the basic android browser and chrome.  I would try and update on a computer at play.google.com.  and tell it to download dolphin to the phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am having the same issue with a slightly different twist.

Google Play does not show Dolphin being installed on my Maven & allows me to try & install it.

However, it never actually gets downloaded to my phone.

I tried again numerous times over the course of several days, reboots etc etc.

No luck, I can not get it to download to the phone to install.

Still wanting to resolve this, I got to thinking how I've tinkered with other phones before & successfully side-loaded apps that could not be installed via Google Play. So, earlier this evening I downloaded the apk from Google Play & tried to side-load it, but I was unable to. During the attempt to install, the built-in version was detected. While I was able to choose "yes" in that prompt to continue the install, it would ultimately fail shortly after with an "app not installed" error. Again, as with the regular Google Play method, I tried this more than once.

This is really frustrating as Dolphin is one of my favorite browsers as well, but the modified version that's on the Maven is really lacking & puts the real Dolphin to shame.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Remove the link... Or a mod will.... This are shady sites

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Ditch the Dolphin!

It is total bloatware garbage on the ZTE Maven.

Go try 'Lite Speed browser'.

It is on the PlayStore, is ad free, very small, and very fast.

It also will support many open tabs, unlike Dolphin.  

The devs are available to help with any questions.

You won't need Dolphin OR Chrome once you get Lite Speed set up.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.