Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wed, Oct 31, 2018 3:49 PM

Blackview BV9500 Pro

I am in need of a rugged smartphone and most of the ones typically available on the US market are extremely expensive or not really rugged or don't have what I need. 

The Blackview BV9500 Pro shows it works on US bandwidths but I've read that many of the China produced phones have an IMEI that actually doesn't work over here. HOW do I make this determination?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

a year ago

FYI, watch the specs, this pro version does NOT have specs for US carriers.  

Att requires 3g 850 and 1900, so does T-mobile.

LTE bands 2,4,5,12/17,30,66.  

Do not buy this version!   Will not work in the USA.

https://www.mobitabspecs.com/products/blackview-bv9500-pro/

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

a year ago

It has full specs on the regular version. https://www.amazon.com/Unlocked-Blackview-Smartphone-10000mAh-Wireless/dp/B07GDR6NJ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541001642&sr=8-4&keywords=blackview+bv9500+pro

but there is never a guarantee with non branded phones.  Also haven’t seen any reports on this brand one way or the other.  

Cat phones work on ATT and sold at Best Buy.  

Att sells 6 rugged phones.  The pricey Samsung s8, 2 Sonim phones, Kyocera,  LG and a flip phone.   3 are in the same price range.  Sonim phones come with 3 year warranty.  

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/cellphones.html

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
adidaskid808

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

a year ago

I think I had a post somewhere about this phone...
This phone DO NOT work in North America.
DO NOT BUY !!!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

@adidaskid808I do know the BV9000 Pro will not work in the US.

@lizdance40in my cross checking I have used this page https://www.signalbooster.com/pages/what-are-the-cellular-frequencies-of-cell-phone-carriers-in-usa-canada to verify which bandwidths are in the US that I utilize (I have both AT&T and Verizon sim cards as I travel a ton and need coverage in lots of different areas). I have been keeping 2 phones, one on contract and one a prepaid. The attraction of this phone was many but included the fact that it can utilize 2 sim cards and work on both networks. This is the one I was going to purchase: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Blackview-BV9500-Pro-5-7-Inch-6GB-128GB-Smartphone-Black-404988.html?Currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI48zT6quz3gIVgYd-Ch1n2AhhEAkYBCABEgJ0c_D_BwE

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

a year ago

@PurpleSage wrote:

@adidaskid808I do know the BV9000 Pro will not work in the US.

@lizdance40in my cross checking I have used this page https://www.signalbooster.com/pages/what-are-the-cellular-frequencies-of-cell-phone-carriers-in-usa-canada to verify which bandwidths are in the US that I utilize (I have both AT&T and Verizon sim cards as I travel a ton and need coverage in lots of different areas). I have been keeping 2 phones, one on contract and one a prepaid. The attraction of this phone was many but included the fact that it can utilize 2 sim cards and work on both networks. This is the one I was going to purchase: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Blackview-BV9500-Pro-5-7-Inch-6GB-128GB-Smartphone-Black-404988.html?Currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI48zT6quz3gIVgYd-Ch1n2AhhEAkYBCABEgJ0c_D_BwE

@PurpleSage

no mater what you do that phone is not certified for Verizons network so its not going to work(it would be a LTE only device on BIG red and those have to be certified).  It will work on ATT if the one you posted at geekbuying has the right specs.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

As for the existing rugged  phones on AT&T's shopping list, I've broken 2 Samsung Actives. They get expensive. The CAT S60 is not really what I am looking for, it's camera ducks and I don't need a FLIR camera. The rest are simply knock offs of the Active & not nearly rugged enough for the abuse I shell out (horse trainer/clinician and they do get used hard).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 I am not tech savvy so I am confused by your comment of "no mater what you do that phone is not certified for Verizons network so its not going to work(it would be a LTE only device on BIG red and those have to be certified).  " It lists CDMA bandwidths so can you please explain further?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

a year ago

@PurpleSage wrote:

As for the existing rugged  phones on AT&T's shopping list, I've broken 2 Samsung Actives. They get expensive. The CAT S60 is not really what I am looking for, it's camera ducks and I don't need a FLIR camera. The rest are simply knock offs of the Active & not nearly rugged enough for the abuse I shell out (horse trainer/clinician and they do get used hard).

Good luck finding a rugged phone that works with verizon anyway.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

a year ago

@PurpleSage wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 I am not tech savvy so I am confused by your comment of "no mater what you do that phone is not certified for Verizons network so its not going to work(it would be a LTE only device on BIG red and those have to be certified).  " It lists CDMA bandwidths so can you please explain further?

No it listed WCDMA bandwidths which is what ATT uses for 3g its also called UTMS.  Verizon uses CDMA which this phone does not cover.  Verizon holds the keys to its network with a IRON FIST.

They actually on these foreign sites call it WCDMA which it is really not.  That phone is a GSM carrier only phone no Sprint USCC or Verizon

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

I see, kinda, but thanks for taking the time to explain.

Verizon really does need to quite being such a putz.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

a year ago

@PurpleSage wrote:

I see, kinda, but thanks for taking the time to explain.

Verizon really does need to quite being such a putz.

Actually with the LTE certifications I get it they want to make sure the voice part of VoLTE works because of e911 requirements.

This explains WCDMA a little better https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS#W-CDMA_(UTRA-FDD)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

a year ago

Verizon lists is certified phones, and while certified, they may still not work,

https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-2843

It’s extremely unlikely you will find one phone for both carriers, excellent camera and rugged.  Maybe you need a super rugged case?  

The Sonim phones At&t sells are military grade, so I think they can handle a 1200 pound horse stepping or chewing on them.  

As for” putz “, I am also a 2 fisted phone user, and neither carrier escapes this moniker.  Although my Verizon prepaid has less to be ashamed of.  Messages+ app puts ATT messages to shame.  And I can use WiFi calling on Verizon prepaid, group message limit is 20.  My pet peeve: The Verizon forum is the biggest fraud.  Unlike ATT, they sanitize it.   Any really negative posts are removed.  They remove rather than edit most of the time.   And the word “moderator” gets the post removed, no matter what context.    I respect ATT for letting it all hang out and being honest and open.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Verizon lists is certified phones, and while certified, they may still not work,

https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-2843

It’s extremely unlikely you will find one phone for both carriers, excellent camera and rugged.  Maybe you need a super rugged case?  

The Sonim phones At&t sells are military grade, so I think they can handle a 1200 pound horse stepping or chewing on them.  

As for” putz “, I am also a 2 fisted phone user, and neither carrier escapes this moniker.  Although my Verizon prepaid has less to be ashamed of.  Messages+ app puts ATT messages to shame.  And I can use WiFi calling on Verizon prepaid, group message limit is 20.  My pet peeve: The Verizon forum is the biggest fraud.  Unlike ATT, they sanitize it.   Any really negative posts are removed.  They remove rather than edit most of the time.   And the word “moderator” gets the post removed, no matter what context.    I respect ATT for letting it all hang out and being honest and open.

@lizdance40

its to bad Verizon does not put on that list which ones are LTE only..  The HTC u12 and Razor 2 are LTE only phones.  They don't use the cdma network.  I have been playing with a phone for verizon that is LTE only and I can say the experience is lack luster in my area because we have a few holes so when you don't have the cdma network to fall back on the call drops. 

• 

10 Messages

3 months ago

OK, for anyone concerned, THE ACCEPTED SOLUTION as well as all the other comments are COMPLETELY WRONG, and before you say anything in their defense or questioning my experience... I OWN and use this phone on ATT in the USA daily and have for about a year or so now.. it is an amazing phone, mostly because of the ridiculous large battery (10,000 MAH !!!) but also because it really is almost indestructible, and I have literally abused it VERY very hard, and it barely has scratches let alone a broken screen or anything of the like damaged in any way to effect function. This manufacturer, Blackview, makes the best ruggedized phones available hands down, I have owned two different models besides this newest from them, and they live up to every spec and functionality they claim, and yes like the original poster, you will not find anything else even close in desgin on the market, so I urge you to not believe the other (Edited per community guidelines) that posted here, and by all means give the 9500 PRO or any other blackview for that matter (that supports all ATT bands, most do, but some dont, and they ALL will list their bands supported on their site in the phones page).

The one set of sited specs was from some third party cell phone spec conglomerate site, as in not a good source of information... If anyone bothers, you can get the phones actual specs, and the proper list of bands it supports, at Blackview , the manufacturer of the phones website! The rest of the comments are just (Edited per community guidelines) bandwagon riders, getting in their I told ya so out of fear mongering about Chinese phones, which is ironic because this phone is made in TAIWAN not China anyway... many, many phones from china, Taiwan, and other mfg. worldwide support all required ATT bands and others required for different US carriers. I have never had one I bought that didnt work when it listed the correct bands, although it can be confusing for a non tech nerd to understand all the specs involved with 2G, 3G, and now 4G, and subsequent sub-specs and modifications to standards, and modulation/encoding standards/schemes to keep track of. It is not surprising that many end up making decisions based on false understandings.

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

@Jpm240
Starting next month AT&T will refuse activation of any phone which is deemed by its IMEI to be 3-g only. That means any phone that does not come with a u.s. warranty is going to fall into that category.

The blackview, and many other brands like Xiaomi, Huawei, that have correct lte bands, will be excluded because they will not have voice over LTE capability on AT&T .
The simple way of determining whether a phone should be purchased to use on AT&T is if it does not come with a u.s. warranty, it won't be allowed activation.

This will eventually affect your phone as 3-g is shut down. Existing phones will not be kicked off yet, but within a year or two you will lose the ability to make phone calls.
If your phone drops to H or H+ during calls, your calls are going out over the 3-g network. When AT&T shuts down that Network your phone will not be able to make phone calls anymore

There are already reports of people who have non us phones with limited 3-g bands who have lost the ability to call and text because local Towers have already shut down one 3-g band to repurpose for 5G.

• 

10 Messages

That is not true of this phone, and other 4G phones, supporting the proper bands, that I have used.. all of which were of the unlocked variety, international GSM phones, non US company, and or distribution. The 4G models all supported Voice over LTE just fine, although it could be turned off, and the 4G connection kept otherwise.. The LTE voice functioned fine, and not only that, I simply used an IMEI from a 4G model from att, and was able to flash the phone to it. So as far as ATT knows, they have no clue it is not a 4G phone from them, and it gets service accordingly. NOTE, without doing this though, even though it was 4G and LTE compatible in every way, the network would drop it to 3G completely.

Most phones like these have MEDIATEK SoC or system on chip chipsests, which are almost always sold with bone stock or almost stock android releases, and any/all (Edited per community guidelines), and or other modifications to anything you could want, like the IMEIs is never an issue.

I think ATT has always taken steps to push customers towards their specific phones, branded and sold by them, and thus there is always a certain amount of fear mongering and literal technical "hoops" they put in place, but at the end of the day their network operates on the GSM standard equipment, albeit even at originally the 850Mhz custom band they selected, in addition to the standard bands they support on 3G and now LTE, this was once a way to keep out other phones, but nothing stopped mfg. from simply including this band in future models, but earlier GSM world phones used the standard 800 or 900 bands.. Its all borderline illegal honestly, but it isnt until they actually completely block or refuse 3rd party phones. This is also why, they must UNLOCK GSM phones that are branded to them once they are owned outright, its a consumer right to resell and or reuse the phone on any GSM provider, and vice versa with bringing phones to ATT..

Again every other answer here has been based on the misinformation that they and others in turn spread.. and look how powerful it managed to be, 90% of readers would have not bought this phone under false pretenses.. Also what you say is technically true, they are migrating away from any analog service at all, and to 4G finally for both data and voice, and that is a push all around the world, not just them. But as I noted, this is a non issue as any 4G world phone is going to support 4g or LTE voice.. which is all digital, and a much higher quality signal, and likely less bandwidth intensive for their equipment, and more easily multiplexed when uplinked with other DATA or digital transmissions..

Hope this helps someone out there!

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

Oh, and I am 100% positive my Blackviews function in 4G, for the voice, as like you noted, when it does not , or I turn it off, the network icon changes during the call to 3g. I think the issue is that many have not solved the IMEI issue, so even a perfectly 4G and Voice capable phone will be forced to 3G by the network, and this is the extremely shady part! I say they are real (Edited per community guidelines) for this honestly.. maybe they will get sued at some point, they are trying to circumvent consumer protections.. no joke.

(edited)

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…