Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Aug 22, 2016 1:08 AM

Bad Warranty Replacement Phones- Already on my FOURTH REPLACEMENT

I purchased a new Samsung S6 Edge when it first came out. The phone stopped working within a few months. After a lot of running around trying to get the phone fixed and going through Samsung and AT&T, I was finally able to just get a replacement through my warranty. Well, the same problem occurred with my replacement phone, and all of a sudden, the phone would not hold a charge and eventually just stopped working. This issue brings me to my third S6 Edge Phone. I told the Customer Service Representative that I have concerns that this replacement will break again, as this seems to be a pattern. She told me that if it does break again, I would be able to choose a new device equal to my current phone. Well guess what? It hasn't even been three weeks and the new replacement broke AGAIN. I call AT&T to request to change the device. After being on hold for an hour and being redirected to different departments, I am finally told that I can only get a replacement of the same device, and that I was misinformed by the previous representative. On top of that, they tell me to go to different customer service centers in my city to get the phone looked at. I tell them I am tired of running around and wasting my time trying to fix something I know is dead. Finally, they tell me they will send me my FOURTH phone. If you have to replace a phone four times in one year, I feel like you have every right to select a different device. I am very disappointed with AT&T's lack of service and honesty. I am now waiting for my fourth phone to break as it seems to be a reoccurrence and I do not trust this warranty service anymore. STOP SENDING ME BAD REFURBISHED PHONES, AND HONOR YOUR WORD! I am so fed up that I will change carriers even though I have been a loyal AT&T customer for over 10 years.

Has anyone else had this issue before? This experience has left me very frustrated and unhappy with AT&T and Samsung.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

4 years ago

ATT is limited as to how they can process warranty returns because of the agreements they have with each manufacturer.   Att makes the exchange easier, but is only allowed to replace with the same device from their stock of certified like new phones.

So, don't deal with them.  Contact Samsung directly.  I would start with the Experience desk at Best Buy.  

This has worked very well for other users and were sent a new phone.  You may have to consider a cheap phone to use while you wait for the replacement. 

Let  us know how it turns out.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

Go to the manufacturer for you replacement. Ultimately they cover the warranty on the phone, not the carrier. AT&T does not manufacture phones, they're just the provider of cellular service. Samsung would be who to turn to for warranty support.

AT&T provides replacement stock from Samsung. On their behalf. Now my question is what is the actual issue? Because actual hardware faults are rare and few and far between. If you're having the same issue on multiple replacements it is certainly a software issue, a usage pattern or behavior/application causing the issue or something else that is not physically hardware related that can be solved through software and settings being managed correctly.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I took your advice and reached out to Samsung via e-mail. I got a long reply basically saying they cannot do anything about it and the only way they can help me is if I take it to the repair center. They also told me to troubleshoot and restart my phone is Safe Mode. Of course, I have attempted to do this with this phone and my previous phones, and this has not been successful.

I also took the phone to the Experience Desk at Best Buy. The employee who worked there told me that he could not do anything about it, and that once the original phone is defective, it is common that they keep sending refurbished phones that are faulty as well. Basically, it is a downward spiral once the original phone breaks. I asked him if the repair center would be able to help me, as I had gone before several times the first few times the phone broke. He told me that my local repair center had to shut down due to overwhelming demand, that it started to negatively affect their customer service and business.

As far as the issue with the phones, they also start turning off automatically. It eventually gets to the point where I cannot charge or turn the phone on anymore. Basically, it just dies. When I took the phones to AT&T and Best Buy, they also told me the phones are dead.

I have used Samsung phones for so many years, but this latest experience is very disappointing. Samsung needs to work on the customer service. Are there any other options? Thanks!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

So my fourth replacement broke again yesterday. I am going to lose it at this point. I ran all around town yesterday to Best Buy, Samsung, AT&T, and no one seemed to want to help, other than tell me my phone is crap and that I should just pay more and get a new one. It is ridiculous that this problem is happening for the fifth time yet I am being offered the same solution. I guess my only resolution is to switch carriers and never get a Samsung again after being a loyal customer for so many years.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

5 months ago

I have had many many many many warranty replacement devices from AT&T and I have NEVER received a device that wasn't broken on arrival. Problems include large portions of touch screen non-functional, Microphone non-functional, speaker non-functional, processor related issues etc. All IPHONEs.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

5 months ago

@jhutto wrote:

I have had many many many many warranty replacement devices from AT&T and I have NEVER received a device that wasn't broken on arrival. Problems include large portions of touch screen non-functional, Microphone non-functional, speaker non-functional, processor related issues etc. All IPHONEs.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

This would carry more weight as a testimonial, if At&t did warranty on new Apple phones.  They do not.  🤨
    The only time  AT&T does a Warranty replacement on an iPhone is if it’s already a refurbished device. If a device has been replaced by insurance, or was sold as a refurbished discounted device then AT&T warrantees the device for 90 to 365 days.

All new iPhones must go directly to Apple for any warrantee replacement. AT&T will not touch a new iPhone.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

I'm having this same issue now.   I'm on the phone with warranty now and this will be my fourth replace iphone 7 plus,  all having the exact same issue.  I even let the customer service rep hear the difference with me having to use my headset just to talk and without.  they all say it sounds muffled.  I don't want to be forced to buy another 1000 phone when i've already paid for this one.  kmack196

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

4 months ago

@Kmack196   As in my previous post, NEW iPhones are warranteed directly with Apple, not At&t.    
If you are getting a warranty replacement from At&t, it wasn’t a new phone that was being replaced.  You can file a BBB complaint.  Just make sure your information is correct.  

• 

1 Message

a month ago

OH MY GOODNESS I RELATE TO THIS SO MUCH. ATT has been absolutely horrible, and they are one of the most expensive carriers out there, plus 5G and Unlimited Data is a scam. I can't even use Wi-Fi to get my phone to even work and ATT slows my network down everywhere I go. I already knew that Unlimited means it's still limited, but this is awful service for how much we pay for this. I have replaced my phone 7 times in the past 2 years, because phone after phone they all stopped working, with no outer damage to the phone or anything. At first I just thought it was an Iphone 7 issue, so I finally decided to upgrade to the Iphone 11 pro max, but then within 3 months of having it, the phone froze up and stopped working just like the 7s did. I still had my most recent 7 from before the upgrade, and I needed a working phone for that time, so I put my SIM card into the 7. The 11 still didn't work, but ATT said I couldn't put a claim in until this month. Since my 11 stopped working it erased itself from my server and what not, and somewhere between the past month it's gone missing and I have searched every inch of my house and car for it, and I cannot find it. I put a claim in finally for the phone but dang ATT rejected it because of it's overly strict insurance policy, telling me they can't give me a new phone because I moved the SIM card. This is absolute crud, and if I had the choice to leave ATT I would in a heartbeat. I have never had such awful service, so I feel you on this.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

@recycleair2
IPhone 7 and iPhone 11 are both Apple products and are not warrantied by AT&T. You should be complaining to Apple.

AT&T does not insure phones. Insurance is provided through carriers but it is a third party called Asurion.

You have a limited amount of time to make a claim with Asurion if your phone is lost or damaged. If the phone is not active on your account right up until the point that you make a claim they are going to deny your claim. It is not anyone else's fault that you lost your phone.

Your claim was rejected by Asurion not AT&T! AT&T does not insure your phone! Just like Toyota does not insure your car, Geico does. 🚗

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…