The Samsung Galaxy S24
Zentetsuken's profile

• 

3 Messages

Monday, December 5th, 2022 10:12 AM

AT&T updates with stricter network lock setting being sent to devices and braking service for users already on a different carrier

hi I'm curranty using an at&t device that is on TracFone service. I  have been use my phone for months now and its been working fine.

yesterday it said it had an at&t device update I so I installed it. after the update i have no service it says "unknown network"  emergency call only.  its not not on tracfones end. I put the sim in a different at&t device and it worked fine. so the update obviously extended the Network lock criteria and basically broke my phone. That's the equivalent of a at&t employee coming up to me and saying let me see your phone ill make it better, me handing it to them and them returning it broken.

I don't know who to call or talk to about this issue but every time I search about something like this 

a link to this thread is on top. so where do i go from here?

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

1 year ago

There is no such thing as a "stricter lock setting". 

Phones are either Network locked or network unlocked. If your phone is Network unlocked it would work on any compatible network.

You are using your phone on a Verizon network. Verizon purchase TracFone over a year ago and has been kicking phones off or requiring that they switched to a Verizon sim card. I'm surprised you have not received a message from Verizon requiring you to either upgrade your phone or change your sim.

It is not anything to do with AT&T other than you are using a phone which is AT&T branded and no longer compatible with the SIM card or the network you are using. 

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

the phone quit working right after it came back from an update. plus this sim still work in other phones. and I'm already aware of the evil lurking at tracfone i went down that road and first.

but stop when I realized it was the update not the service and I wouldn't  put it past any carrier to do something like this. but the fact remains that it stopped working directly after an "AT&A Device Update" and the sim still work.

this problem literally has at&t written on it.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

1 year ago

(sigh) 

The problem is your phone is no longer compatible with Verizon.  

Whether AT&T's update made it incompatible does not matter. The fact is Verizon doesn't want your phone on their Network anymore.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.