Get the new iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro & iPhone 15 Pro Max from AT&T Now!
The Samsung Galaxy S23
Jedi71's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 21st, 2015 4:28 PM

AT&T LTE situation with US ASUS ZenFone 2 ZE551ML

Not having a micro SIM, and only the nano SIM from my iPhone 6, I went to the AT&T store to get provisioned over to a micro SIM.

There the associate decided, without my knowledge, to change my data plan based on the ZenFones IMEI number.

Long story short, I no longer have an LTE based data plan. I was on AT&T chat for 2 hours as they tried to explain to me that:

1. Data plans are based on your IMEI number.
  2. They can't change me back to the iPhone plan.
  3. Since the ZenFone is not an AT&T branded phone they can't guarantee LTE service anyway.

Then I mentioned that my iPhone SIM has been receiving LTE just fine in my OnePlus One for 2 months as I tried out Android. They didn't have an answer for that.

So they are taking my case to AT&T technical support to see if an LTE plan can be programmed for me. The employees try to tell me that the reason the phone is not getting LTE is because the phones IMEI number dictates the data plan, and so far, the data plan it dictates is only 3G.

If this is the case, then ASUS and AT&T need to work together, fast, to program in an LTE plan for ZenFone 2's. Otherwise my plan is to reprovision my iPhone then swapping sims.

Anyone else having luck with AT&T giving you an LTE plan to use on the ASUS ZenFone 2?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Same model number. Bought from Amazon and it was here in 2 days. Saw the Ookla app just have to sort out how to sort out how to tell what is LTE speed vs H+ etc. I definitely am not convinced the reps I talk to on the phone know that the H+ symbol means or doesn't mean LTE but I'm not seeing horribly slow data speeds either like I said, so hard to say for sure. But I've had LTE since getting my first LTE capable smartphone a couple years ago so I have to wonder what's what and make sure once and for all. I got this phone for the two SIM cards-not necessarily the unlocked nature of it either, but glad I could get two lines in one for this price nonetheless so not complaining and think it has good memory to boot. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

The problem is you bought it from Amazon with a provosioned SIM and AT&T
will deactivate your current 4G/LTE SIM once Amazon notifies AT&T that the
new phone has shipped.
I am buying from ASUS direct with NO SIM. I use my SIM from my M7. There
should be no change in service.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I bought it from newegg and used the sim card from my iphone 4s. Recently
at&t put in a new sim that was for non-branded at&t phones. Still didn't
work so I gave up and bought the cheaper zenfone that at&t sells for $119.
And voila! I have 4G LTE service.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

FWIW: I know now I definitely was NOT getting LTE speeds on my Zenfone2. Ran speed tests and looked them up online to compare and the H+ symbol was accurate. Well,my phone is being exchanged due to problems with the second SIM slot so while it is being exchanged, I am using my Note 3 again. I went in to AT&T and had that SIM re-provisioned again because I couldn't get the data to work on it anyway for some reason even though it was fine in my Zenfone, and besides, I wanted my darn LTE back! Well- my LTE is back on the Note 3 and at the store, we popped the SIM card in on the Zenfone2 just to see, and it changed and says 4G instead of H+. I didn't run a speed test to confirm, but I take that as a good sign, and once I get the replacement unit back, I'm going to compare it against the LTE speed test on my Note 3. The heck with it-I'm keeping the SIM card the way it is, and besides, I'm not doing anything until I see that the replacement Zenfone 2 has no issues and that once and for all, AT&T recognizes devices. They even say on their website you can "bring your own device" but then they make it so that you don't get LTE on it? The rep today even told me that my Zenfone should have been getting LTE because the service is the service and I'm paying to have it and that a lot of people have the Zenfone.  Once my replacement comes in, I'm popping the new SIM card right over. I'm not losing the opportunity I just gained to have LTE now.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I gotta Zenfone 2 551ML and I went from tmobile to metroPCScause they provided me with 4G LTE for what Iam paying for.I get downloads up to 40 MBs on a unlimited 60 dollar plan.My suggestion forget ATT and go where you will receive service that you pay for.

Teacher

• 

32 Messages

8 years ago

LOL T-Mobile is Metro PCS

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

In the AT&T store, the rep installed a new sim card and it gave the same H+ connection results. He checked a Zenphone2E that they had as a demo sales unit and it was getting 4G. Baffled by this, he tried an expieriment and moved the demo sim to my phone, which immediately showed 4G service.

The problem was not the phone, location, or the simcard. The problem is the settings that AT&T is assigning to the phone. Now I just need a solution!

I'm considering borrowing a friends 4G Samsung (minus his sim card) and taking it to AT&T to convert over to my phone number. Then moving the new card back to my Asus. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks to many on this thread and AT&T manager Jeremy in Woodstock GA.

I now have LTE on my ZenFone 2.

As many have said the problem is with the IMEI number. Jeremy was equally as baffled by this problem and all the clues that pointed to it being a configuration problem on their end. His second tier tech support guru created a new IMEI number for my phone and the problem was resolved.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

But how do you get them to do this?  I've been to the store twice and on the phone twice and they will not "create" a IMEI number provisioned for LTE.  I know the phone works because when I moved the SIM from my old S4 to the Zenfone 2 it worked at LTE speeds for two months then things went downhill.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I got the same crap... They swore that I'm provisioned properly, but no luck on LTE. They just told me to by an ATT phone if I wanted LTE. So 3G is what I live with now.
Not finding what you're looking for?