For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Manasponge's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 12th, 2016 6:51 PM

ATT Android Update for HTC One (M8)

I have attempted twice download and install the newest update for the HTC One M8 from ATT, and both time the installation has failed.  Is there a known issue with this update, or is this a problem specific to my phone?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Yeah, I've read others clearing room over 14gb to work too, and I even have that much room and still failed. To me that seemed far fetched for a solution as well, since it was a 1gb update. I could see having 2 or 3gb free..but I have 14.75. It's like they have taken the update down or something. Mo Versi from HTC on Twitter has been oddly silent for the day after a new update (@moversi).

Anyone been able to receive the download since say noon eastern or know anyone that has?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@kirkfitz wrote:
Yeah, I've read others clearing room over 14gb to work too, and I even have that much room and still failed. To me that seemed far fetched for a solution as well, since it was a 1gb update. I could see having 2 or 3gb free..but I have 14.75. It's like they have taken the update down or something. Mo Versi from HTC on Twitter has been oddly silent for the day after a new update (@moversi).

Anyone been able to receive the download since say noon eastern or know anyone that has?

@kirkfitz

HTC has not posted the images on there website yet either.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's unfortunate they're creating such a large map file as part of the install, but the solution is relatively simple.

- get a decent-sized SD (or a larger one if you have one that's full)

- move all your user data (pics, music, etc) and most of your apps to the SD (some apps can't/won't move, but most will)

- make sure you've got >16GB of sytem space free, when the above is done

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Maybe they decided to pull the update after finding issues like the ones we are having?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yeah, maybe.  I've written my share of update and install software, and it's hard to imagine a scenario where they'd need 16GB to do an in-place upgrade,

It's possible someone flipped the wrong bit though, and they're trying to make a full mirror of your data, instead, which would align with the 17GB deal, but I'm only guessing here...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Yeah that's what I assume. 16GB for an Android update is unrealistic. Hopefully the update is unavailable because they noticed a mistake regarding the whole storage thing and are fixing it. Fingers crossed 😜

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I cleaned up to almost 17 GB free space in internal storage. Update is still failed. Never rooted phone.....

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

OK, backed up and wiped internal SD, factory reset phone, and the upgrade went without a hitch. A little more of a pain, but probably the best way to do it. BTW, I just performed the upgrade, so it hasn't been taken down.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Did they stop the update? I have everything saved and cleared out but now it says my software is up to date. Is there a way to download it manually? 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Greaaattt... Managed to clear up 18GB but now it still tells me my software is already up to date. Tried rolling the date & time forward to check again this morning and still getting the same message. RIP long awaited update 😞

Considering wiping my phone but I don't know if it's really worth that...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.