For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
A

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021 1:03 AM

Apps not working on Samsung Galaxy S8 Active

I went to open my Samsung Galaxy S8 Active Yahoo mail app and it didn't work. I then tried to open all other banking apps to no avail. Facebook worked and so did Youtube, but apparently the important apps won't work. I cleared the cache, I uninstalled and reinstalled the apps, I made sure no updates were needed for the apps or my device, and I restarted my phone. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

420 Messages

3 years ago

Hi @ajolie2323 and Community,

Google has identified the issue with being unable to open your apps, and has determined a solution.  Customers will need to update the Android Systems WebView to version 89.0.4389.105, and Google Chrome to the latest version. Both are available on the Google Play Store.

Updating Android System WebView and Google Chrome Via Google Play Store should resolve the issue for all users.

1. Navigate to Play Store app
  2. Search for Android System WebView
  3. Select the "Update" option
  4. Repeat these steps for Google Chrome

Thanks

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I started having the exact same issues this afternoon with my Samsung Galaxy S8 Active.  A few apps work like Facebook but the majority crash within a few seconds of opening.  After spending a while trying to figure something out to no avail I mentioned it to my wife and she said her email also started crashing and she has an Samsung Note 8.  Sorry no answers for you but you aren't the only one. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Just found this link:

Surprise app crashes are plaguing tons of Android users: Here's how to fix them (androidpolice.com)

My Galaxy note 9 has had most of the apps not working and I have done everything you have as well. 

The method detailed in the above link worked for me.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Since the latest update I can't use any apps.  They keeps crashing or won't open.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Latest update

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

Have you tried clearing the app data and starting it again for any of the crashing apps? Obviously you should try this with the apps that can always download the data again from the server, such as email.

If that doesn't help you can boot your phone into recovery mode (look up instructions for your phone model) and then try to wipe the cache partition — sometimes that helps too.

The last resort would be to perform a factory reset — you should only do that if the phone is completely unusable.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

My 10 has been doing the same since yesterday. I went into my local AT&T store to see if they knew what was happening. The salesman did everything suggested, except for the factory reset, nothing worked. I guess it's happening to random people since my husband with a note hasn't had any issues. Only answer the worker could give me is to wait for another update that fixes the bugs....

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

@pgunnels405 @pristinepandora 

Thank you for posting. Please check if there are any updates available from the Play store. Specifically, you want to look for updates for the Android System WebView and Chrome. You might need to restart your device after the update, but from what I see this is an official fix from Google.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

• 

4 Messages

I do see an update from Android System Web View,  I downloaded it but it has been trying to install it for a few hours now.  

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have some apps that I use alot that won't open anymore they try to but then it goes right back to the homescreen. They do stay on in the background though which is wierd. I have not downloaded any new apps since the update and that is when it started. Any info or trucks for this?

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Apps won't open after phone update

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Hi @Needgalaxys20help 

Thank you for posting. Please check if there are any updates available from the Play store today. Specifically, you want to look for updates for the Android System WebView and Chrome. You might need to restart your device after the update, but from what I see, this is an official fix from Google.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

3 years ago

Hi @ajolie2323 @guapoaz @EspHope11 

Thank you for posting. Please check if there are any updates available from the Play store today. Specifically, you want to look for updates for the Android System WebView and Chrome. You might need to restart your device after the update, but from what I see, this is an official fix from Google.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Android System WebView was disabled on both mine and my wife's different versions of Samsung S8s.  We had to uninstall updates for Chrome in order to get the phones functional again.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

3 years ago

@guapoaz 

It's a good point. There are actually updates for both, the WebView and Chrome out there, so it's fair to say both need to be updated. Thanks, I'll add it to my post above.

Dmitriy

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I followed directions to go uninstall the updates but unfortunately I had already force stopped the WebView and there was no option to do anything else. I couldn’t even uninstall the app as an option. So I’m taking my phone in to see how to reactivate the WebView in order to proceed which the steps mentioned above.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Says the latest updates are there but keeps crashing!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Apps
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.