The Samsung Galaxy S24
jde215's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, March 27th, 2018 3:19 PM

App Icon Badge Notification not working after Android 8 Update

Could use some help on this. After the most recent Android update on my S8+ badge notifications on the standard email app no longer worked. Went thru all the menus to ensure that the options were turned on for each email account as well as the master notification were enabled along with the samsung home option. Now when emails come thru the badge shows up with a count of 6 regardless of how many actual new emails there are and notification goes away even when emails are unread. This didn't use to be the case prior to the update. What gives? 

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

It is possible a factory reset may help.  Be sure to backup important data first. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I considered doing a factory reset but the Androids don't take a mirror image of the phone settings like iTunes does. Even though ill have all my data backed up, it takes me 2 or 3 hours to reset everything how I had it. I haven't performed a reset in over a year but that's what I had to do last time...did they improve the process any?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

So caved this morning and did factory reset. No issues with the badges this far. However the system doesn't not maintain the badge once the app is accessed regardless of if email is read.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

@jde215 wrote:

So caved this morning and did factory reset. No issues with the badges this far. However the system doesn't not maintain the badge once the app is accessed regardless of if email is read.

It's standard behavior for a badge count to vanish after the associated app has been accessed even though the email has not been read.  The objective is to notify you of new emails, not maintain a count of unread emails. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Tried the factory reset, did not help my problem, still shows 7 on the email badge when ever I receive an email. After opening it goes away. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This doesn't work. And it's because of that last samsung update. Their rep told me to go to Samsung help desk in Best Buy to get a software whiplash to go back to previous settings. I'll try that.  Also now missing is the ability to individualized text msg tones. No badges on the msg icon or email icons makes it a terrible update for me. Unnecessary changes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

AT&T Samsung GS7 updated to 8.0: Same problem of Email and Facebook badges not showing new notification count (currently shows nothing when in fact Email has 6 unread and Facebook has 10 unread) on wife's phone.  Sent her a test email from my AT&T Samsung GS6 running 7.0 and no Email badge change.  Shared something on her Facebook and nothing shows up on the Facebook badge.  If I send an email or post something from my wife's S7/8.0 to my S6/7.0, both email and Facebook badges show new receipts.  When I open both apps and just view the number of unread/unviewed emails/Facebook postings and exit, the badge counts remain.  If I open one of the emails (no longer unread) and exit email app, the email badge count reduces by one.  Same thing with Facebook, I look at an unviewed new posting and exit Facebook, the badge count drops by one.  This is contrary to what Lilybell2 posted on March 29th.  On my S6/7.0, it is NOT standard behavior for a badge count to vanish after the associated app has been accessed even though the email has not been read.  So it appears that AT&T flubbed this. 

I tried clearing Email's and Facebook's individual cache -- no help.  Cleared the phone's cache -- no help.  Rebooted -- no help.  Not ready to do a reset just yet.  Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.