Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

¬†‚Äʬ†

1 Message

Sat, Mar 19, 2016 1:15 AM

Android 6.0 update for Galaxy S6 edge

When will the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge be getting the Marshmallow (6.0) update?

Responses

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

4 Messages

4 years ago

Bottom line regardless of Samsung releasing their own builds, we shouldn't be waiting this long. Samsung took 3(?) Months to get their build out and now we're looking at probably close to 4 months before ATT finishes, if not longer. Samsung needs to step in and start flexing their muscles here. Ridiculous that we have to wait this long

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks, Lizdance. Your Nexus reccomendation rings clear, I have gotten the same advice from other Android users ūüôā Given that google released a potentailly energy saving and life extending update for my 8 hour max battery life phone, it is¬†quite a bit frustrating to see apparently all the other carriers on the Planet have an update before ATT.¬†

I was wondering if this uncecessary stalling by AT&T is a technique to sell more current hand sets like the s7, why else would an android OS released Nov. 2015 release still not be available in the middle of 04/2016? But that would only push people to other carriers that are more prompt in their release cycles, so it likely wasn't a concious decision to push the update this many months out.

I quess I was spoiled by Apple's release methodology. With them, the carrier's slackitude doesnt matter. When the update is released, I can get it now and not months later after my phoine has depricated a significat amount of it max 3 year lifespan.

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

7 Messages

4 years ago

I got the date from the Marshmallow release date of Sept. 29, 2015.

Google has already dropped developer releases of the post Marshmallow release.

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

7 Messages

4 years ago

This experience has taught me to never buy an Samsung on AT&T, I will likely avoid both going forward. 

AT&T for an inexcusably poor job of setting expectations, and failing to deliver a standard part of a smart phone experience.

Samsung for piling so much crap into a smart phone that it makes one yearn for an update to fix it.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

¬†‚Äʬ†

19.5K Messages

4 years ago

Ah bit Samsung did not get the 6.0.1 build till January. Even when Google releases source code it takes forever for oems and carriers to get them out. Most carriers started in Feb and are still updating.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

7 Messages

4 years ago

I'd like to accept the above as a solution, but I cant accept such a long delay from AT&T or Samsung. (Even US Cellular got the 6.x firmware out already, I had never heard of them before this:)  )

In other words all the other kids figured out thier homework, why are ATT+Samsung being so remedial !! Stop passing silly notes in math class and pay attentiont you two!!

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

¬†‚Äʬ†

19.5K Messages

4 years ago

@penelope73 wrote:

I'd like to accept the above as a solution, but I cant accept such a long delay from AT&T or Samsung. (Even US Cellular got the 6.x firmware out already, I had never heard of them before this:)  )

In other words all the other kids figured out thier homework, why are ATT+Samsung being so remedial !! Stop passing silly notes in math class and pay attentiont you two!!

well when I buy a carrier branded phone I look at as it may never get updated.  If you want updates in a timley manner on android nexus is the only way to go.  Hey there 50 bucks off for the next month.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

4 Messages

4 years ago

To the people above me, If Samsung finished in late January, that's pretty much three months so far. No other carriers need that much time. Only AT&T can do an outstanding job by making everyone mad. I'm really looking forward to this update on my S6. I don't want a nexus. However AT&T is terrible with updates just to include bloatware that 99% of people don't use. It just gets auto disabled on my end. Heck i've even rooted a few phones just to get rid of the piece of crap software.

I do love the fact that AT&T is avoiding this thread. They've replied to all other threads, but just avoiding this one. Which is terrible customer support. If you're not gonna release the software in the next day or two, how about some verbal confirmation it's coming within a week or two? No need to be silent about it, it just looks shady. Although AT&T is the worst celluar network I can think of out of the big four. They aren't doing anything to entice customers like the others, especially T-mo.

lcalle

Guru

¬†‚Äʬ†

629 Messages

4 years ago

@Windorf

Honestly, it's called covering one's backside.  ATT, nor any carrier really, wants to give customers a time frame for when an update will be released, then have to come back and tell people that it's not actually going to be released in the time frame they originally gave for whatever reason.  That would spark a lot of "Why?" questions that they would really rather not have to answer.  

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

4 Messages

4 years ago

@lcalle

Like they've already done with the March 14th date given previously? Although in their defense, Customer service agents aren't the brightest, they just read from a set script (Nothing bad against them, they are just doing their job). However, you can still give details to a release date without giving a release date. A prime example was what T-mobile did. It had a page up with a window of what stage it is in. I mean it doesn't give much information, but it would still be good to know that they are working on it and not drinking coffee and laughing how it's never gonna be finished. You know?

lcalle

Guru

¬†‚Äʬ†

629 Messages

4 years ago

@Windorf

Nothing against the other phone manufacturers out there, but that's one of the main reasons why I've remained so loyal to HTC over the years.  Yes ATT is horrible at giving even the most obscure time frame on when updates will be released.  However, with HTC, I've always been able to, eventually, get an estimate of how much longer a given update is going to be, and, sometimes, even a description of what's holding up the update's release, fromHTC itself.  It stinks, true, it just depends on the manufacturer of your device as to whether they're transparent enough to tell their customers what's going on within an update, 'cause, let me tell you, I really don't see either ATT or Verizon suddenly starting to give update status reports of any kind any time in the foreseeable future.  It's just not who they are as companies.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

¬†‚Äʬ†

19.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Windorf wrote:

@lcalle

Like they've already done with the March 14th date given previously? Although in their defense, Customer service agents aren't the brightest, they just read from a set script (Nothing bad against them, they are just doing their job). However, you can still give details to a release date without giving a release date. A prime example was what T-mobile did. It had a page up with a window of what stage it is in. I mean it doesn't give much information, but it would still be good to know that they are working on it and not drinking coffee and laughing how it's never gonna be finished. You know?

@Windorf

That 14th date was poor reporting on the tech site that ran with it.  For one it was a chat rep not even a phone rep.  And an update did release in the time frame but was a security patch.   If you look tmobile just released to the s6 and s6 edge on the 11th and then the note 5 and edge+ on the 18th.  There was a hold up with the GSM version of the update for us carriers from the looks of it.  Tmo is never this late to the party ever.  Samsung is not a very customer oriented company to start with.  Try calling in sometime its a hoot...  Ok not really...  I want this update for my edge+.  But the phone still works without it.  I have android N on a nexus 6 that I am using as my phone today.  But my goto is still the edge+ as samsung pay just works.  I have a nexus 6p that I play with from time to time.

Contributor

¬†‚Äʬ†

1 Message

4 years ago

AT&T have you hear about little marketing process called VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER?

Probably not....Have you heard about the importance of feeding Customer Support's feedback  to the sales & marketing...probably not.

I wonder if AT&T is a third world government owned company...

It is truly amazing, how blind and disconnected from users needs' a company can be.

I'm stuck with AT&T as I am a corporate user, but believe me you won't be my choice if I had one.

The whole world is talking about Android N's release in the upcoming months, there are even developer previews available and you guys are still trying to deliver on Android 6....

Sad....sad....sad....and terribly annoying for the users.

Scratch the 3rd world country part....they have also released it....

MAllow

Scholar

¬†‚Äʬ†

184 Messages

4 years ago

"Well when I buy a carrier branded phone I look at as it may never get updated. If you want updates in a timely manner on android nexus is the only way to go. Hey there 50 bucks off for the next month" Why would any expect to get a phone that wont update? Who thinks like that? If I get a phone, I expect my phone to be secured and optimized at the least. Anything else is just inexcusable. It is shame because that mind set shouldn't even exist if updates would arrive on time in my opinion.

Tutor

¬†‚Äʬ†

4 Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

It was poor reporting. Just a service rep trying to help. His actions were great. He just didn't have the correct info infront of him. However AT&T should have noticed the widespread of it and knicked it in the butt instantly instead of letting everyone go on false hope then getting mad. Something like, "We are sorry for the inconvience that a false date has appeared. It will not be done at that time given, but it is coming." Any reasonable company would have given that statement. Well one that has it's consumers needs at heart. It doesn't say a time, just stops the "Why?" questions from happeneing you mentioned. And even if there was a GSM hold up. AT&T should be right behind them with the update. But a week has went by and other phones are getting updated before the main flagship phone can even get updated. It's pretty pathetic. I'm a competitive person, I would want to be the first to release the update, especially if there were million of subscribers to my network. I know there are politics involved and other things, but they just need to push harder if they have more work to do instead of giving up.