Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
jkova1's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Feb 13, 2018 11:55 PM

Activating a Pixel 2 for First Time

I purchased an unlocked Pixel 2 from the Google Store, as many websites that I read stated that this was the only way to get a truly unlocked, unaffiliated with any provider, phone.  Then I remember reading something about making sure that the first time that I power on the phone, I HAVE to make sure that NO provider's SIM card is in the phone, just a SD card.  Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read that.  Basically, it was a warning that if there is a provider's SIM card (ATT, Verizon, etc.) in the phone the very first time any unlocked phone is powered on, the phone essentially becomes locked into that provider.  I'm obviously not very tech oriented, but to me, this defeats the whole purpose of buying an unlocked phone. So, I am looking for some guidance here, please.  I am buying my daughter her first cell phone.  I bought the phone outright and intend to go with a no contract, pay as you go plan.  I'm doing this so that I can figure out which provider gives us the best coverage in our area and because I told my daughter that I will get her a phone for her birthday, but she will be responsible for the bill.  So, pay as you go takes me (and the associated stress 🙂 ) out of the picture.  She doesn't pay the bill, she has no service. I recommended to her that she go with the $60 Unlimited Talk/Text/Data from AT&T and if AT&T doesn't work well in our area, she can switch to the $50 one from T-Mobile because she is a teenager that will probably be watching a lot of Netflix and streaming music.  I do know that she would need to then get a T-Mobile SIM card, but I'm worried that if there is any truth about how to power up an unlocked phone for the very first time, that she will be locked into AT&T.

Did I interpret the information correctly (have to start with NO SIM card, etc.) or is that an internet myth and it doesn't matter at all?

Please help this "old" Mom, kind people 🙂

dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.4K Messages

5 y مضت

To the best of my knowledge if you buy an unlocked phone straight from the manufacturer and not a third party (like Best Buy) then it'll stay unlocked. Having said that booting and setting up the phone with a SIM card from a provider may occasionally download some of the provider's apps (that you will be able to uninstall afterwards). If you'd rather keep the phone in the pristine condition, boot up and set it up without the SIM card, then plug the SIM in once the setup is complete. 

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

5 y مضت

@jkova1 wrote:

I purchased an unlocked Pixel 2 from the Google Store, as many websites that I read stated that this was the only way to get a truly unlocked, unaffiliated with any provider, phone.  Then I remember reading something about making sure that the first time that I power on the phone, I HAVE to make sure that NO provider's SIM card is in the phone, just a SD card. 

Utter nonsense.  When you purchase an unlocked phone direct from a manufacturer it is unlocked no matter what.  This includes an unlocked iPhone purchased direct from Apple.  

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read that.  Basically, it was a warning that if there is a provider's SIM card (ATT, Verizon, etc.) in the phone the very first time any unlocked phone is powered on, the phone essentially becomes locked into that provider.  I'm obviously not very tech oriented, but to me, this defeats the whole purpose of buying an unlocked phone. So, I am looking for some guidance here, please.  I am buying my daughter her first cell phone.  I bought the phone outright and intend to go with a no contract, pay as you go plan.  I'm doing this so that I can figure out which provider gives us the best coverage in our area and because I told my daughter that I will get her a phone for her birthday, but she will be responsible for the bill.  So, pay as you go takes me (and the associated stress 🙂 ) out of the picture. 

Good for you!  And great idea.  

She doesn't pay the bill, she has no service. I recommended to her that she go with the $60 Unlimited Talk/Text/Data from AT&T and if AT&T doesn't work well in our area, she can switch to the $50 one from T-Mobile because she is a teenager that will probably be watching a lot of Netflix and streaming music.

FYI the $60  plan is limited speed.  Not good for video.  The 6 gig plan is plenty unless watching YouTube in school all day is what you’re going for.

I do know that she would need to then get a T-Mobile SIM card, but I'm worried that if there is any truth about how to power up an unlocked phone for the very first time, that she will be locked into AT&T.

No worries, complete nonsense 

Did I interpret the information correctly (have to start with NO SIM card, etc.) or is that an internet myth and it doesn't matter at all?

Please help this "old" Mom, kind people 🙂

BTW android phones do not need a SIM card to ‘activate’.  The phone can be turned on and set up with a google account, then install the sim when it arrives.  

I also own a Pixel 2.  Great phone.

Unlocked ANDROID phones can be purchased from many sources.  Including Amazon and Best Buy.  They cannot be locked to any carrier.  

Retailers sell universal iPhones l which lock to the first carrier used.  

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

5 y مضت

@dmapr  The only thing ATT will install on a google Pixel is the SIM card.  No updates or software.  An update from google will be installed related to ATT HD voice.  

All updates in the Pixel come straight from google and will install without a SIM card 

Just like iPhone.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

Thank you so much for your help with this.  I truly appreciate it!

dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.4K Messages

5 y مضت

@lizdance40 wrote:

@dmapr  The only thing ATT will install on a google Pixel is the SIM card.  No updates or software.  An update from google will be installed related to ATT HD voice.  

All updates in the Pixel come straight from google and will install without a SIM card 

Just like iPhone.  

Good to know. I recall that Nexus 6 would download a couple of apps when set up with an AT&T SIM, but haven't followed that up on the Pixels. I've always set my phones up without a SIM prior to transferring the data and finally the SIM card so I've never had to deal with that.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.