Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
M
mobiledarren
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

19 Messages

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 10:48 PM

5G on unlocked Pixel 5?

Can anyone confirm if an unlocked Pixel 5 bought directly from Google has working 5G on AT&T?  I cannot get a direct answer from AT&T as to whether an unlocked version will be whitelisted for 5G or not, and they keep saying that the manufacturer will have to answer that question.  And of course Google says to contact AT&T as it's entirely up to them whether they'll provision for it or not.  I would buy the AT&T variant just to be certain, but since my account is prepaid they refuse to sell me one.  Even BestBuy says AT&T won't let them sell an AT&T branded P5 with their normal 'activate later' option.

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

3 months ago

It's not on the list yet.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

19 Messages

3 months ago

I assume you're referencing this list, which is getting a bit out of date.  I'm hoping someone who happens to have one can confirm if it actually works or not.  If I'm gonna go the unlocked route, it'd be nice to be able to get one while they're on sale.

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

3 months ago

Well, it seems to be on the list now and shows:  HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, 5G

The model number listed is GD1YQ, which is the same model number that I have, and my Pixel 5 is the Unlocked version from the Google Store. 

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

3 months ago

Notice 2 Sony phone are on the list now 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

3 months ago

I see a couple of new phones on there.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

19 Messages

3 months ago

Got my unlocked Pixel today and 5G does work straight out of the box.  Initially it showed LTE as the data type under the sim status in the settings, but just about the time all the setup stuff finished and the phone settled a bit - before I even dug into things to see about it - it briefly changed to 'no service' and then when the service came back the 5G symbol appeared and the sim status in the settings changed to NR NSA as the data type.  Didn't even update the IMEI in my account, but seems to be working fine.

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

3 months ago

@mobiledarren Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear everything is working as it should, and all is well.

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

This is good to know.  My 2xl while great, sadly lost out on some features because it was an unlocked device.  Now it  is at end of life, so I'm entertaining and upgrade to the pixel 5.  Question for anyone who may know: I bought the 2xl unlocked from google and loved the empty stock Android  but AT&T has a better deal on the pixel 5 right now.  I can't find any info on if AT&T's version is free from bloat and carrier apps.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

2 months ago

It may have the myatt app on it but that's it.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks for the reply.  Ok, myatt app not too bad, I could live with that.  I was nervous it might be like previous experiences and loaded with stuff I didn't use and couldn't really do much with. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

2 months ago

It doesn't matter what phone you buy now, even Samsung is largely free of bloat or any bloat can be removed/uninstalled.  It isn't like when I purchased my first smart phone the Samsung Galaxy S3, which not only came with a bunch of applications I didn't want and never used but every few months old ones would be taken off and new ones would be added through a software update.   Chewing up space on the little 16 gigs of storage.   It hasn't been like that since the S8 line.

Pixel phones are getting the "iPhone treatment", as in same access for unlocked as for the carrier model. 

The new pixels come with the Titan chip which is pretty nice.   It's being recommended for Blackberry users who are used to having a higher level of security.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks LizDance

I remember those samsung phones.  Terrible memories.  Loaded with junk from samsung, on top of Att stuff and you could barely remove or disable some.  You are right, every time you got an update, new additions showed up.  Thanks for all the info. 

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

2 months ago

@lizdance40 does bring back memories... an Android  app would be duplicated by a manufacturer's app and then again by a carrier version.  It was maddening!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

2 months ago

@Lilybell2

I had several samsung phones in a row.  All with garbage apps that changed every few months. 

Samsung has finally no longer adding redundant apps that do the same thing that Google already has built into its operating system. 

Although I'm still carrying a bit of a grudge over the Bixby nonsense. 😝

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

2 months ago

Bixby, yuck!  What were they thinking?  🙄😏

Get started...

Ask a new question