The Samsung Galaxy S24
M

• 

21 Messages

Monday, November 23rd, 2020 10:48 PM

5G on unlocked Pixel 5?

Can anyone confirm if an unlocked Pixel 5 bought directly from Google has working 5G on AT&T?  I cannot get a direct answer from AT&T as to whether an unlocked version will be whitelisted for 5G or not, and they keep saying that the manufacturer will have to answer that question.  And of course Google says to contact AT&T as it's entirely up to them whether they'll provision for it or not.  I would buy the AT&T variant just to be certain, but since my account is prepaid they refuse to sell me one.  Even BestBuy says AT&T won't let them sell an AT&T branded P5 with their normal 'activate later' option.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

It's not on the list yet.

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

I assume you're referencing this list, which is getting a bit out of date.  I'm hoping someone who happens to have one can confirm if it actually works or not.  If I'm gonna go the unlocked route, it'd be nice to be able to get one while they're on sale.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Well, it seems to be on the list now and shows:  HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, 5G

The model number listed is GD1YQ, which is the same model number that I have, and my Pixel 5 is the Unlocked version from the Google Store. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Notice 2 Sony phone are on the list now 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

3 years ago

I see a couple of new phones on there.  

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

Got my unlocked Pixel today and 5G does work straight out of the box.  Initially it showed LTE as the data type under the sim status in the settings, but just about the time all the setup stuff finished and the phone settled a bit - before I even dug into things to see about it - it briefly changed to 'no service' and then when the service came back the 5G symbol appeared and the sim status in the settings changed to NR NSA as the data type.  Didn't even update the IMEI in my account, but seems to be working fine.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@mobiledarren Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear everything is working as it should, and all is well.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

This is good to know.  My 2xl while great, sadly lost out on some features because it was an unlocked device.  Now it  is at end of life, so I'm entertaining and upgrade to the pixel 5.  Question for anyone who may know: I bought the 2xl unlocked from google and loved the empty stock Android  but AT&T has a better deal on the pixel 5 right now.  I can't find any info on if AT&T's version is free from bloat and carrier apps.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

It may have the myatt app on it but that's it.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  Ok, myatt app not too bad, I could live with that.  I was nervous it might be like previous experiences and loaded with stuff I didn't use and couldn't really do much with. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.